Topic: Advice needed on golem tribal deck [Opinions] [Standard/Extended]

Hey folks! I've been running a golem tribal deck based around the combination of New Phyrexia splicers and Parallel Lives for a few months now, but I still haven't gotten the deck up to snuff. It's terrible vs. control decks (everything gets countered) and is too much of a target in multiplayer. I'd love to be able to speed up the deck while taking advantage of multiple golem buffs to overwhelm my opponents, but I haven't found the right combination yet. I'd like to stick with the Scars block versus the "old school" Mirrodin cards, where possible, to keep it in Standard/Extended.

Here's my current deck: http://deckbox.org/sets/201617

Here's an alternative I'm considering that removes some of the more obvious "targets" and adds more "chumps" to the mix: http://deckbox.org/sets/213841

I'd love some feedback from the community; this has been bugging me for some time. Thanks!

Last edited by brightmatrix (2012-08-15 17:04:46)

Re: Advice needed on golem tribal deck [Opinions] [Standard/Extended]

So, having tried a similar Golem deck myself I can say that you shouldn't use Glassdust Golem, you're not always going to be casting artifact spells and the splicers don't work since you aren't casting the artifact part.

Conjurer's Closet, Glimmerpoint Stag, and Venser, the Sojourner are all decent options to produce more golems without being completely rediculously expensive.

I would recommend dropping both memnites and the Suture Priests, you're usually going to be better off with something that ramps mana, like Avacyn's Pilgrim or Llanowar elves.

Another thing is that you should consider Maul Splicer in order to get twice the value from things like Cloudshift.

If you decide to put in more splicers and token producers Intangible Virtue is a must, the +1/+1 is nice but Vigilance is amazing especially when its all for just 2 mana

Finally you need some sort of removal since your opponent could easily get a huge creature that you can't handle so I'd recommend either Oblivion Ring, Beast Within, Unsummon or Vapor Snag

Hope this helps and good luck with the deck!

imsully2 wrote:

So, having tried a similar Golem deck myself I can say that you shouldn't use Glassdust Golem, you're not always going to be casting artifact spells and the splicers don't work since you aren't casting the artifact part.

Unless I'm looking at something wrong, Glassdust Hulk says "Whenever another artifact comes into play under your control...", so it should work just fine in this deck.

NullParameter wrote:
imsully2 wrote:

Unless I'm looking at something wrong, Glassdust Hulk says "Whenever another artifact comes into play under your control...", so it should work just fine in this deck.

Whoops, my bad, you're absolutely correct, I'm just dumb lol

NullParameter and imsully2: Thanks so much for your feedback and your replies.

I added a set of Avacyn's Pilgrim and Lllanowar Elves to the revised deck (http://deckbox.org/sets/213841). I'd prefer to keep the creatures artifact-based, but Copper, Silver, and Gold Myrs are 1cc higher, and I don't think that would help my mana ramp as much as these cards. I also put back the two Tempered Steels and added three Builder's Blessings to help with my splicer defense. For good measure, I add a third Parallel Lives to increase the possibility of token madness. big_smile

How does it look now? Obviously, I need to get a few cards that aren't in my inventory, but that shouldn't be difficult.

Last edited by brightmatrix (2012-08-16 11:41:10)