Topic: Aetherworks Marvel banned

Aetherworks Marvel is as of now marked as banned in standard decks. Note that this only goes into effect on Monday, so you can still play it until then smile

Re: Aetherworks Marvel banned

sebi wrote:

Aetherworks Marvel is as of now marked as banned in standard decks.

Notwithstanding their recent announcement of a play test group to avoid such errors in the future, it is still incredible that WoC could let this sort of ban become necessary again.
Of course, it's no trivial matter to design 1000 new Standard cards for the game every year, but that is the task they set themselves, and they're not new to it - they've been doing it for a whole generation now!
The concern is - or should be, that the recent bannings of Emrakul, the Promised End, Smuggler's Copter, Felidar Guardian, and now Aetherworks Marvel should not have been unusual or unexpected problems.
Marvel allows you to search for and cast a card at zero mana cost, which is always going to be fantastic situation, regardless of how you have to play around to manage the activation cost (in this case Energy).
The Copy Cat infinite combo with Felidar Guardian and Saheeli Rai was was foreseeable by any solid club-level player. It was clear that Smuggler's Copter was an absolute bomb to everyone who had the good forune to open it in their Sealed pool at pre-release. And to have to ban Emrakul, as the signature card of an entire block, adds up to only one thing: that Wizards' R&D group have been asleep at the wheel since the blocks of the last six months were first on the drawing board,  which means soundly snoozing for the two years it takes to bring the cards to market. We can only hope this new group they've appointed can sort things out; and fast.

You don't have to believe everything you think.

I think ... this was an unavoidable situation seeing other formats rise which sometimes need more powerful cards: I'm talking about EDH specifically. Wizards has had new challenges approach that mess with plans from the past 2 years: the surge of EDH popularity being the greatest among them. All legendary creatures are up for scrutiny, and some cards need to be more potent for the single-card format. I'm excited that cards like Emrakul were released, and make tremendous EDH cards, but its' understandable that there were complications.

I also hope that the new appointees for the committee live up to everyone's expectations, and also hope that they don't cater cards for EDH anymore. Born of the Gods was the best attempt at breaking out the format, but I do blame Commander primarily for the sudden surge in banlist cards.

Just my $0.02.

Eh for me it's not that bad for it to be banned. The card is a bit costly in terms of executing it and the risk wasn't worth the reward for me. It was great for mid to late game strategies but it simply wasn't for me. When does Kaladesh rotate out?

mouth4war90 wrote:

Eh for me it's not that bad for it to be banned. The card is a bit costly in terms of executing it and the risk wasn't worth the reward for me. It was great for mid to late game strategies but it simply wasn't for me. When does Kaladesh rotate out?

Winter 2018