Topic: Atraxa Build #1 or Build #2?

Boy, this place is a ghost town sometimes.  smile  I have built 3 commander decks (links below) But the one I seem to have the most difficulty with is the Atraxa one.

I've seen all the hate out there about Atraxa and certainly get it.  But I do like me some counters/proliferation and at least wanted to give one a go.

So that's where I hope someone could possibly lend me a hand.  I have two versions of the deck able to be built.

Deck #1

Deck #2 (this is the currently assembled one in paper)

So the question.....is #2 better than #1?  And with deck #2 I showed the cards in the sideboard that I was considering putting in but couldn't think of what to drop out what is actually currently in there.

Cutting to 100 cards is so difficult, lol.  You'd think it would be easy with so many cards, but holy crap it's not.  tongue

If you could provide any sort of nudge in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

ps.....feel free to blast the decks below too

====================

Chulane Blink

Illuna Mutate

Re: Atraxa Build #1 or Build #2?

I would focus more on the +1/+1 counter and loyalty counter aspects that work with proliferate and cut out the token creature sub-theme.  I like to go all-in on a theme and push it as far as I can (while keeping it fun).  So I guess I would go with version #1.  I would build a separate deck with the Rhys, Wurmcoil Engine, Rite of Replication, and Progenitor Mimic portion and add populate.  I like the find with Heliod's Punishment that you can keep adding task counters to it.  I would also find a way to add Pir, Imaginative Rascal.

psrex wrote:

I would focus more on the +1/+1 counter and loyalty counter aspects that work with proliferate and cut out the token creature sub-theme.  I like to go all-in on a theme and push it as far as I can (while keeping it fun).  So I guess I would go with version #1.  I would build a separate deck with the Rhys, Wurmcoil Engine, Rite of Replication, and Progenitor Mimic portion and add populate.  I like the find with Heliod's Punishment that you can keep adding task counters to it.  I would also find a way to add Pir, Imaginative Rascal.

I really appreciate the advice and have been working on it the last few hours.  Take a look at this revised version and see what you think. 

I dumped anything related to the token angle.  I did add one copy feature in the form of Altered Ego.  I figured with it adding counters while also allowing me to copy any creature on the battlefield it could really help, especially perhaps copying someone else's commander.  smile 

But, feels like 22 creatures is low?  The other stuff is just so good. lol  The hope is if an Eerie Ultimatum is needed it can recover lost permanents.

Again, much appreciated taking a look.  Hopefully this new version plays well.

22 creatures does seem pretty low.  I have a UG +1/+1 counters deck (Prime Speaker Zegana) that is running 37 creatures, and I used to have a GBW +1/+1 counters deck with Anafenze, the Foremost that had 33 creatures, but it seemed underpowered, so I retired it.  The +1/+1 counters themselves aren't often a great payoff and they need some help to really make life difficult for you opponents.  My UG deck has a number of creatures that give trample to everything with a +1/+1 counter on it, and that has helped make things much better.  Also having the card draw of Zegana to refill my hand once I have a bunch of creatures out is really helpful.