Topic: Feature Request: Turn off Alternate art cards

Hello!

I am wondering if it would be possible to add a feature allowing a user to set what constitutes a "full" play set for them individually when it comes to alternate art cards. I personally don't like the path they have chosen with expansions approaching 500 cards making it almost impossible to collect a full set without spending oodles of money for each new release.

Is there a way to either ignore alternate art cards altogether or allow a user to set this in their profile?

Thanks!

Re: Feature Request: Turn off Alternate art cards

This is 100% how I feel about it, too. I miss the days of a 249 card set with a handful of related promos. The only post-"booster fun" set I've tried to collect an entire playset of is Eldraine. And like you said..... oodles.

To the actual idea: I honestly think just more customizable collection goals in general would be awesome. Specify which sets (or portions of a set) you want 4x of or 1x of. Completely ignore entire editions. Etc.

I'm sure any implementation would be very complicated, so I'm not holding my breath on it being soon, but I think it's something that should be worked towards.

Last edited by meldon44 (2022-01-27 20:28:12)

meldon44 wrote:

This is 100% how I feel about it, too. I miss the days of a 249 card set with a handful of related promos. The only post-"booster fun" set I've tried to collect an entire playset of is Eldraine. And like you said..... oodles.

To the actual idea: I honestly think just more customizable collection goals in general would be awesome. Specify which sets (or portions of a set) you want 4x of or 1x of. Completely ignore entire editions. Etc.

I'm sure any implementation would be very complicated, so I'm not holding my breath on it being soon, but I think it's something that should be worked towards.

Good to know I am not the only one!  And, thanks - I figured it would be a significant undertaking, but I wanted to toss the idea out there.

That's how I approach building sets, by only collecting the normal cards and ignoring alternate art or foils.  I make a deck for each set that I'm collecting, and then I mark something as a built deck if I'm actively collecting it, or I'll leave it as a deck idea if I'm waiting for the set to rotate out of Standard or have some other reason to not collect it yet.  This also lets me set my own collecting goals, like for Commander sets only collecting the new cards and cards with new art.  And if I get bored it lets me set the specific cards to match up with the set to track the proper versions.  I'm hoping that an API gets implemented some day so that it's easy to mass set the cards in the built decks.  You can look at my deck lists under my 'Sets' folder if you're looking for ideas.

psrex wrote:

That's how I approach building sets, by only collecting the normal cards and ignoring alternate art or foils.  I make a deck for each set that I'm collecting, and then I mark something as a built deck if I'm actively collecting it, or I'll leave it as a deck idea if I'm waiting for the set to rotate out of Standard or have some other reason to not collect it yet.  This also lets me set my own collecting goals, like for Commander sets only collecting the new cards and cards with new art.  And if I get bored it lets me set the specific cards to match up with the set to track the proper versions.  I'm hoping that an API gets implemented some day so that it's easy to mass set the cards in the built decks.  You can look at my deck lists under my 'Sets' folder if you're looking for ideas.

That's a great approach!  A lot of work, but in the end really worth it I am sure.

I also have been wanting to get into EDH a bit more, so now I see lots of ideas for EDH decks too!