Re: Tag support in inventories; Bookmarking filters; more

mwl wrote:
sebi wrote:
ISOEvil wrote:

Has the "Is Reserve list" function been intentionally removed?

Still there, it might be lower in the filter list, but it's present.

Inventory has it, Card Database does not. Perhaps that's the regression? I think it was present before, but am not entirely sure.

Yes, I used to use the "Is Reserved List" function in the Card Database, but it appears to be gone. Would be nice to have that back, if possible.

freakwerks wrote:

Sebi,
I started dabbling with the tagging and I just wanted to say, A+! Such a spectacular feature. Additionally, while I'm at it I also wanted to give you applause for adding the proxy support. I am a big user of proxies and being able to actually add them to inventory and marking them accordingly is truly the best. Thank you to you and your team.

Came here to drop some praise about tagging feature, to see it was already given.

I've been tagging my inventory over the past few days and this was exactly what Deckbox was missing. Absolute game changer. Expertly designed and implemented.

Huge Kudos to Seb!

sebi wrote:
Inventory Tags

After being requested & on the TODO list for years, and multiple abandoned attempts at implementing them, today tagging support was finally released, in a large feature pack for premium accounts.

Tags can be assigned to any card in an inventory, individually or in bulk. The bulk actions are available after selecting some cards via the Card Actions dropdown. The select all checkbox in the inventory can also be used to select all the cards matching a filter, and then bulk-tag (or untag) all cards in that filter.

There is a Default Tags selector for Add Cards now, so that when adding cards some tags can be directly set.

Tags are also now added to the csv export, and set when a deckbox csv is imported to the inventory.

Built decks issues

I know that some of you have been using built tags as a "tagging" mechanism. To migrate from built decks to tags, there will be a filter in inventories called In Built Decks. One could then filter by deck, then tag all cards in the result with a tag, and get rid of the deck.

I will work on this issue this week, so that the migration to tags is correct and fully functioning. I will make a new post on details and exact printings in built decks in a couple of days.

Filter bookmarks

As people will certainly use tagging for "inventory subsets" to manage large collections, I wanted to add a pinning feature to tags, so that you can see them in the left menu under Inventory for quick access. I added this feature in a more general way though, so that any filters that you want can be "bookmarked". This link will be then shown for quick access in the left menu.

This works for any set (wishlist, card database), and not just for inventories.

Tag "pinning" can thus be made by filtering for a tag, and saving that as a filter bookmark.

I'm sure there will be users with many tags and that a folder feature will be needed to sort them out, which can be toggled open or closed as they are for decks. This is not yet implemented but high priority.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Hey Sebi,

I've been playing around with Tags a lot and I think overall this is going to be a gamechanger for a lot of functionality on the site.  I've got a few small notes I wanted to throw in now while you're working on the next improvements:

1. Tags and Deckbuilding - Once, some of the tagging updates are ready, I see it very likely I'll replace all my decks and "pseudo-decks" that I have for marking storage location (binders,boxes, etc.) over to tags. It'll make moving items from place to place even easier by just removing the tag or swapping it on the card page.  That said, it would be super helpful if you had a way to apply tags to made decks.  Either as an action command during selection in the deckview or the ability to filter inventory by Deck Names in the inventory and apply a filter there.  This will help rapidly moving over all those created decks

2. Tags and Trading - A great use for tagging is locating cards for trades.  It would be super helpful if the tags were displayed in the trade window if they exist (so all my cards marked Trade Binder would show that and make pulling them easier.  The nice thing is then when those items are traded it automatically pulls them from the Trade Binder tag results.  Here's where it gets tricky.  I think you would need to have the tag connected with the trade item be persistent even once it's removed from inventory, as we'd still want to be able to find it.  Once the trade is received and closed all temporarily stored tags could be removed.

3. Tag Sorting - This is an easy one, and probably already planned, but in addition to having folders (and hopefully sub-folders) please make sure you give us ways to sort and order the tags.  Right now it's "last in" and there's no search so once I port nearly 300 tags I can imagine I'll never be able to find anything I'm looking for.

4. Tag Search - Can we add Tags as a search parameter, so if you have the word Secret Lair in search it would show Editions, Sets and Tags to choose from?

ZombieSleeve wrote:

That said, it would be super helpful if you had a way to apply tags to made decks.  Either as an action command during selection in the deckview or the ability to filter inventory by Deck Names in the inventory and apply a filter there.  This will help rapidly moving over all those created decks

I think having a tag action command from the deck page would be a great addition as well!

As far as filtering inventory by built deck - this was addressed by sebi in the post you're quoting tongue

sebi wrote:

To migrate from built decks to tags, there will be a filter in inventories called In Built Decks. One could then filter by deck, then tag all cards in the result with a tag, and get rid of the deck.

+1 to everything else you suggested, though!

sebi wrote:
Inventory Tags

After being requested & on the TODO list for years, and multiple abandoned attempts at implementing them, today tagging support was finally released, in a large feature pack for premium accounts.

Tags can be assigned to any card in an inventory, individually or in bulk. The bulk actions are available after selecting some cards via the Card Actions dropdown. The select all checkbox in the inventory can also be used to select all the cards matching a filter, and then bulk-tag (or untag) all cards in that filter.

There is a Default Tags selector for Add Cards now, so that when adding cards some tags can be directly set.

Tags are also now added to the csv export, and set when a deckbox csv is imported to the inventory.

I submitted a ticket, but for me the default tag button is broken. It does not show any of my tags when I click the button.

Also, question: Is there a limit on the amount of tags we can use? I wanted to add a tag showing the way that I acquired each card, and I was going to be very specific with dates and stuff but if there is a limit then I will find a more generic way to do it.

And finally, this is my first post here, but this was exactly what I was looking for. Seems like tags are relatively new and as someone who is managing two collections (one for a friend) tags really make this site exactly what I needed. Thank you.

mrcelophane wrote:

I submitted a ticket, but for me the default tag button is broken. It does not show any of my tags when I click the button.

Which button does not show the tags? There is one in filters, one on each card detail row, one in the "With Selected" actions button on top of the table etc.

Also, question: Is there a limit on the amount of tags we can use? I wanted to add a tag showing the way that I acquired each card, and I was going to be very specific with dates and stuff but if there is a limit then I will find a more generic way to do it.

No limit, but there is no nice way yet to organize them (folders or smth), so it might be cluttered if you make hundreds of them right now.

sebi wrote:

Which button does not show the tags? There is one in filters, one on each card detail row, one in the "With Selected" actions button on top of the table etc.

Apologies, when im in the inventory view and click "Add Cards". I have tags but the list is empty.

No limit, but there is no nice way yet to organize them (folders or smth), so it might be cluttered if you make hundreds of them right now.

Dope. If organization is in the pipeline ill keep adding tags and deal with the "Clutter". Will be worth it in 5 years to look back and see "Oh hey that box I broke had X value" or "Oh that card in my commander deck is one of the 7 I got in that trade with Mike" or what have you.

At least I think it might be...but if I don't tag as I put them in it will be too late.

I know im new here so thank you again for making all of this.

Hi Sebi,

You had discussed some updates to tags in the pipeline.  Any timeline of when those will hit?  I've leaned into tagging but my list is getting long and is completely unorganizeable.  At least being able to reorder, sort or preferably folder would be awesome.  There was a number of other improvements mentioned, and just wondering on when we might see those.

ZombieSleeve wrote:

Hi Sebi,

You had discussed some updates to tags in the pipeline.  Any timeline of when those will hit?  I've leaned into tagging but my list is getting long and is completely unorganizeable.  At least being able to reorder, sort or preferably folder would be awesome.  There was a number of other improvements mentioned, and just wondering on when we might see those.

On the list for next month. I'd like to do folders.

sebi wrote:
ZombieSleeve wrote:

Hi Sebi,

On the list for next month. I'd like to do folders.

Sounds great! Looking forward to it.