Topic: Tag support in inventories; Bookmarking filters; more

Inventory Tags

After being requested & on the TODO list for years, and multiple abandoned attempts at implementing them, today tagging support was finally released, in a large feature pack for premium accounts.

Tags can be assigned to any card in an inventory, individually or in bulk. The bulk actions are available after selecting some cards via the Card Actions dropdown. The select all checkbox in the inventory can also be used to select all the cards matching a filter, and then bulk-tag (or untag) all cards in that filter.

There is a Default Tags selector for Add Cards now, so that when adding cards some tags can be directly set.

Tags are also now added to the csv export, and set when a deckbox csv is imported to the inventory.

Built decks issues

I know that some of you have been using built tags as a "tagging" mechanism. To migrate from built decks to tags, there will be a filter in inventories called In Built Decks. One could then filter by deck, then tag all cards in the result with a tag, and get rid of the deck.

I will work on this issue this week, so that the migration to tags is correct and fully functioning. I will make a new post on details and exact printings in built decks in a couple of days.

Saving default filters

If you find that you always use a certain set of filters and want them to always be visible (instead of the current default ones), there is now a button that allows this to be saved. The setting is per set type, so you can have some filters you see in inventory, some in tradelist, and a different set in the card database.

Filter bookmarks

As people will certainly use tagging for "inventory subsets" to manage large collections, I wanted to add a pinning feature to tags, so that you can see them in the left menu under Inventory for quick access. I added this feature in a more general way though, so that any filters that you want can be "bookmarked". This link will be then shown for quick access in the left menu.

This works for any set (wishlist, card database), and not just for inventories.

Tag "pinning" can thus be made by filtering for a tag, and saving that as a filter bookmark.

I'm sure there will be users with many tags and that a folder feature will be needed to sort them out, which can be toggled open or closed as they are for decks. This is not yet implemented but high priority.

Other changes

Added "edition code" and "decks count" columns to the csv export.

This has been a large feature set with a lot of interactions with other systems and pages of the website. Please let me know if you notice new bugs or inconsistencies, or if things are unintuitive.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

Re: Tag support in inventories; Bookmarking filters; more

This seems like a great addition, thank you. I'd be eager to learn more about how the community is using and taking advantage of this new tagging feature?

So excited to see this big enhancement being rolled out Sebi.

Did a little testing and have some questions/thoughts:

1. If I'm understanding this correctly, the tag works on a specific instance of a card, but not specific cards - What I mean by that is if I have 3 copies of Lannowar Elves (M12, NM) and 1 Llanowar Elves (M12, LP) I can tag the LP copy or all 3 NM copies, but would not be able to tag just one of the NM copies.

One of the things I was looking forward to with this is using it to define where cards are located, so tagging my singletons from each set into that set binder, and the stuff in the Trade Binder as in that location.  If I have more than 1 printing of a card with all the same attributes that seems like it will not be possible here at this time, right?

Could it be possible, where, like in the deckbuilding area, you could split a line for a card that has multiple copies and tag only one or some? So the result of what I shared above would be I would have one copy of Llanowar Elves (M12, NM, M12 Binder), two copies of Lannowar Elves (M12, NM), and 1 Llanowar Elves (M12, LP)

2. Seeing Tags in other places - Do you plan to make tags visible in built decks, so I can see where they came from and where they go back to? Can we see it in trades? This would be especially helpful for those of us with multiple trade boxes. And in the Card Printing page, in the "In your decks" section it would be great if we could see and edit the tags.  This would sort the request I previously asked for of being able to move cards from one location to another from that screen.

ZombieSleeve wrote:

What I mean by that is if I have 3 copies of Lannowar Elves (M12, NM) and 1 Llanowar Elves (M12, LP) I can tag the LP copy or all 3 NM copies, but would not be able to tag just one of the NM copies.

You can! If you split the 3NM row, add one tag on the split one, another tag on the 2 remaining, it will work, they will stay "separate".

2. Seeing Tags in other places - Do you plan to make tags visible in built decks, so I can see where they came from and where they go back to? Can we see it in trades? This would be especially helpful for those of us with multiple trade boxes. And in the Card Printing page, in the "In your decks" section it would be great if we could see and edit the tags.  This would sort the request I previously asked for of being able to move cards from one location to another from that screen.

You should already see them in trades, an on the card page on the inventory listing section (It's a "tag" icon, and when you mouseover or click it, it will show the tags that are on it.

The tags->built deck interactions still need some work, as mentioned. I'll have some updates in the coming days.

You can also add multiple tags on a single entry. If you have a Mountain with "Tag1, Tag2" it will be distinct and listed separately from one with just "Tag 1", even if it's the same exact printing & details.

sebi wrote:
ZombieSleeve wrote:

What I mean by that is if I have 3 copies of Lannowar Elves (M12, NM) and 1 Llanowar Elves (M12, LP) I can tag the LP copy or all 3 NM copies, but would not be able to tag just one of the NM copies.

You can! If you split the 3NM row, add one tag on the split one, another tag on the 2 remaining, it will work, they will stay "separate".

How would you split a row from inventory?  That functionality only works in the deckbuilding screen as far as I'm aware.

On a more important note: I think a few bugs may be present.

I had a trade where the printing the other trader wanted was listed wrong, so I went into my inventory and changed it to be the correct one

- Captain N'ghathrod 646 was listed as having 1 for trade
- went in inventory and changed that printing to Captain N'ghathrod 640

That should now say I have an unavailable item in the trade but it did not.  It still said I was trading him a 646, even though none were available.

I reloaded the page, still there.  I tried using the quick qty. switch on the trade page and it did not show 640 was in my inventory on that screen.

I went to add 640, and it turned the 646 into trading 2 copies.

I was only able to resolve by removing 646 completely and adding new the 640.

I saw something similar with another card. Burnished Hart Retro #71.  IT was in a trade but my qty available seemed wrong.  So after confirming it was incorrect I went into editions and added 1, so my total qty now was 2, 1 available for trade.

I pulled up the page for that printing and it still only shows 1 copy and 1 for trade even though that does not match the edition page.  I reloaded multiple times to confirm.

What is the use case for tagging in inventory? I don't really get why people wanted this? Maybe i am missing something cool?

Shoe wrote:

What is the use case for tagging in inventory? I don't really get why people wanted this? Maybe i am missing something cool?

The main usecase is to catalogue in which boxes cards are stored in physically / which are loaned out / which are set aside for something / put in binders / etc.

A minor bug to report: Lets say I have 5 copies of a card for trade. The Inventory Count is 5 and the Tradelist Count is 5. I need to update my inventory to 4. I used to be able to update the Inventory Count to 4 and that quantity would automatically update the Tradelist Count to 4. After the update, this no longer works in the Inventory view nor the specific card view. Reducing Inventory Count only results in no update. It looks like both Inventory Count and Tradelist Count need to be edited at the same time. Easy to work around but wanted to share in case this was unintentional.

Has the "Is Reserve list" function been intentionally removed?

ISOEvil wrote:

Still there, it might be lower in the filter list, but it's present.

ZombieSleeve wrote:

I had a trade where the printing the other trader wanted was listed wrong, so I went into my inventory and changed it to be the correct one

I (partly) fixed the interaction now. If you change the printing or details in your inventory for something in a trade, now the entry in the trade will be "disconnected", so you will see the old version, and with "0" counts for inventory to show that is what you added initially, but you don't have it anymore.

You can fix it by clicking the inventory count and setting a 0 to the old row, and the new count on the new details.

Does that make sense?

sebi wrote:
ZombieSleeve wrote:

I (partly) fixed the interaction now. If you change the printing or details in your inventory for something in a trade, now the entry in the trade will be "disconnected", so you will see the old version, and with "0" counts for inventory to show that is what you added initially, but you don't have it anymore.

You can fix it by clicking the inventory count and setting a 0 to the old row, and the new count on the new details.

Does that make sense?

Tested and it worked removing from inventory.  It also works if something was added to a trade not available, and the setting of qtty available changes on the card page it updates the trade.  This is now working as expected.  Cheers!

ZombieSleeve wrote:

I saw something similar with another card. Burnished Hart Retro #71.  IT was in a trade but my qty available seemed wrong.  So after confirming it was incorrect I went into editions and added 1, so my total qty now was 2, 1 available for trade.

I pulled up the page for that printing and it still only shows 1 copy and 1 for trade even though that does not match the edition page.  I reloaded multiple times to confirm.

This seems to also be resolved, partially.  If I change my inentory in Editions it does show when reloading the card page, however I tested Avon's reported bug and could replicate. 

So this is definitely unrelated to whatever fixed the issue I reported.

ZombieSleeve wrote:
sebi wrote:
ZombieSleeve wrote:

How would you split a row from inventory?  That functionality only works in the deckbuilding screen as far as I'm aware.

Also just a small bump on this.  If you can describe how to do the split, that would be awesome.

ZombieSleeve wrote:

Also just a small bump on this.  If you can describe how to do the split, that would be awesome.

Right now you can do it from the panel that opens on Edit, there is an icon that appears on the left of a row on mouseover.

I want to add this to the dropdown as well though, similar to the decks one. Soon (TM)

sebi wrote:
Shoe wrote:

The main usecase is to catalogue in which boxes cards are stored in physically / which are loaned out / which are set aside for something / put in binders / etc.

Ahh gotcha, thanks for clarifying

Question about adding cards to the inventory with a free account (so no access to the cool tags).  Previously if I had multiple rows with the same options selected (condition, set, etc) those rows would be combined to a single row when I clicked save.  Now it seems to not be doing that anymore but keeping them as separate rows (none of the rows have any tags applied).  Was this intended?

I noticed the same thing while I was adding cards tonight.

TigerShadowclaw wrote:

Question about adding cards to the inventory with a free account (so no access to the cool tags).  Previously if I had multiple rows with the same options selected (condition, set, etc) those rows would be combined to a single row when I clicked save.  Now it seems to not be doing that anymore but keeping them as separate rows (none of the rows have any tags applied).  Was this intended?

awesome! Just came in handy for me to mark a card as lost tongue It's around here somewhere, but not where it's supposed to be ><

TigerShadowclaw wrote:

This was a side-effect of the tag work, yep. I will take a closer look at what's needed to restore that functionality.

sebi wrote:
TigerShadowclaw wrote:

This was a side-effect of the tag work, yep. I will take a closer look at what's needed to restore that functionality.

Yeah, I figured.  Not a big deal but I figured I would mention it anyhow.  Thanks for looking into it!

Last edited by TigerShadowclaw (2023-09-21 17:37:11)

sebi wrote:
ISOEvil wrote:

Still there, it might be lower in the filter list, but it's present.

Inventory has it, Card Database does not. Perhaps that's the regression? I think it was present before, but am not entirely sure.

Re tagging: This is really cool, thanks for implementing this. I'm getting kinda excited about managing my cards in Deckbox again smile

Sebi,
I started dabbling with the tagging and I just wanted to say, A+! Such a spectacular feature. Additionally, while I'm at it I also wanted to give you applause for adding the proxy support. I am a big user of proxies and being able to actually add them to inventory and marking them accordingly is truly the best. Thank you to you and your team.