Topic: New feature: Deck - Collection matching (and more)

This release implements a new system for handling card details in decks, and the deck-inventory relationship.

The previous system was quite buggy and confusing, and mostly just tried to "guess" which deck entries in built decks correspond to entries in the inventory. When a user sets custom details that sometimes "helps" the system guess but in general it was fiddly and inconsistent.

Now one can specifically "match" or "link" cards in decks to specific entries in the inventory or wishlist. They remain connected, so that changing the inventory card's details (setting a different language for example) will reflect in the deck listing.

Adding cards to decks from inventory (via the 'from inventory' quickadd input) will auto-link them.

If one has a card in a deck that is not yet added to the inventory, this can also be done now via the "Matching" menu on the card entry in the deck, by selecting "Inventory" -> "Add this card to the inventory".

An initial automatic matching was done on release (for built decks), and is performed on some actions (like importing a cardlist into a built deck, changing a deck from "idea" to "built"), and it is also present in the "Tools" menu.

The matching also works for deck ideas, but it not handled by default, since their purpose is not really to represent actual decks of cards you own.

Other changes

Filters in inventories have been restructured so as not to just have a huge single dropdown with all of them, and are separated by category. A new filter has been added to show cards in the collection that are "ambiguous", called "Problematic Deck Matching" that shows cards that you have in built decks that are not matched to inventory entries (or wishlist entries).

The "in my decks" dialog and section on the card page also have the deck context menu, so one can match them to the collection from there too.

The Auto Trade feature was adjusted to work with this new system.

The Add Missing cards to Wishlist tool dialog in decks was rewritten to be an own page, and made to work with the new system.

The card context menu in the collection and decks now has a "Remove" option, to avoid having to write 0 in the counts, and an "Edit this row" action so that one can edit the details for a single row, without the large panel that shows all entries in the collection.

As always, feedback is appreciated - please let me know if you see any bugs or inconsistencies, what part of the UI makes sense, what does not work properly for your usecase.

Last edited by sebi (2024-01-09 18:18:17)

Re: New feature: Deck - Collection matching (and more)

Great Job!

After this uptade in deck view there are no colors in columns (green blue yellow).

I noticed that clicking the Matching > Owned > Add New Printing To Inventory doesn't reflect any defaults like the usual way to add cards to the inventory, i.e. language and quality need to be selected manually over and over again.

Post's attachments

Screenshot 2024-01-08 161449.png 12.92 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems like the checkbox for "From Inventory" is broken. I can uncheck it, but it still will not allow me to manually set editions. When I refresh the page (after unchecking the box), the box shows up as checked again.

Also, some feedback: I understand that some may have felt that the "in my decks" dialog being on the same page as the card was too crowded, but personally feel that moving it to another page is a very bad change. I much preferred the old way and this new system adds what I view as unnecessary clicks/page loads.

SirCharlesOfKanto wrote:

Also, some feedback: I understand that some may have felt that the "in my decks" dialog being on the same page as the card was too crowded, but personally feel that moving it to another page is a very bad change. I much preferred the old way and this new system adds what I view as unnecessary clicks/page loads.

yes, for me this was a critical feature that by being removed it not only hinders my work greatly. SO much that it made me search for this post. It's one of the main reasons I support deckbox, even.

I would really appreciate the return of the old list of decks in the main card page

SirCharlesOfKanto wrote:

I also second this. Having it load an entire second page is surprisingly hindering to quick deck construction.

The new system of matching card details is also very frustrating. Traditionally, if I found a decklist online that I liked, I would import that into a new deck and Deckbox would auto-assign whatever printings of those cards I had so it was very easy to see at a glance how many cards in a decklist I have in my inventory. I just imported a new decklist and I'm having to go manually card by card to match it to a printing which is incredibly tedious. I'm sure it's hard work to manage and update these features and I appreciate all the hardwork, just wanting to provide my feedback as well in the interest of always working towards a better version of this tool which I love.

raZec13 wrote:
SirCharlesOfKanto wrote:

yes, for me this was a critical feature that by being removed it not only hinders my work greatly. SO much that it made me search for this post. It's one of the main reasons I support deckbox, even.

I would really appreciate the return of the old list of decks in the main card page

I second (third?) this - for my uses, it is critical to have the counts of cards in my inventory and in my various decklists visible in the same place.

Will add the deck listing on the card page tomorrow.

darkpinballmchn wrote:

The new system of matching card details is also very frustrating. Traditionally, if I found a decklist online that I liked, I would import that into a new deck and Deckbox would auto-assign whatever printings of those cards I had so it was very easy to see at a glance how many cards in a decklist I have in my inventory.

Which deck did this happen for? I will take a closer look.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but it seems like the checkbox for "From Inventory" is broken. I can uncheck it, but it still will not allow me to manually set editions. When I refresh the page (after unchecking the box), the box shows up as checked again.

It adds the card with no details, and you can select them from the context menu to the left of the card name, by selecting Matching -> Not In Collection -> Custom.

I noticed that clicking the Matching > Owned > Add New Printing To Inventory doesn't reflect any defaults like the usual way to add cards to the inventory, i.e. language and quality need to be selected manually over and over again.

Thanks, fixing this tomorrow.

Oh my god, please bring back the inclusion of a card in the decks I have on the card page!
Please don't make me go to a separate page sad
It's such a heavily used feature to me..

Agreed with the others with having the "Decks inclusion" information on a separate page is a UX setback. It was a feature I used all the time. Please bring it back!

Agreed on the 'cards in deck' theme - it was extremely helpful.
Additionally, I kind of miss having any cards I didn't own highlighted if I had them listed in a deck. It made it much easier for me to parse what I was looking for.
Maybe just a personal opinion, but I found it far more helpful.

~S~

Sightburner wrote:

Agreed on the 'cards in deck' theme - it was extremely helpful.
Additionally, I kind of miss having any cards I didn't own highlighted if I had them listed in a deck. It made it much easier for me to parse what I was looking for.
Maybe just a personal opinion, but I found it far more helpful.

~S~

I agree with this completely, and would love that back.

Echoing the previous feedback.

I loaded up deckbox today and the changes (bug?) to colors in the decklist is very jarring. 0/10

The "in decks" section was also one of my highest used feature. Please re-add that.

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

Thanks for constantly working to improve deckbox! smile

Do you still plan on implementing the "In Built Decks" filter you mentioned in the tag support announcement?

Reverted the In Built Decks change to a single page. It's back to being a (wider) dialog, and a section on the card page (but on the wide right side in place of the market sellers, instead of under the card image.

The "Add to inventory/Wishlist" options in the deck rows context menu now properly use the defaults for that set, if any.

slobert wrote:

Do you still plan on implementing the "In Built Decks" filter you mentioned in the tag support announcement?

I implemented a version of it but it's not yet released.

The version I have is strict about the inventory-deck matching, and would not show things in that specific deck that are not matched to the inventory, although the card (with other printings/conditions/etc) is available in the inventory.

I'm not quite sure yet if that is not confusing still. I thought ideally there would be some extra warning on the filter in ambiguous cases stating something like you have X more cards in the deck that are not exactly matched to your inventory, or something like that...

bkit wrote:

Great Job!

After this uptade in deck view there are no colors in columns (green blue yellow).

I noticed this as well is this intentional or a bug/error? I very much prefer seeing the colors.

Love it. Love everything about it.

Now I just have to go through my collection and assign the correct editions (a welcome project).

sebi wrote:

Reverted the In Built Decks change to a single page. It's back to being a (wider) dialog, and a section on the card page (but on the wide right side in place of the market sellers, instead of under the card image.

Really appreciate this smile Keep up the great work Sebi!

Much appreciated, Sebi.

Followup questions, with the preface that I obv don't know what you have in the pipeline:

Firstly, the 'add to deck' feature defaults to 'from collection'. Is this necessary?
Some idiot, who may have been me, spent too many minutes trying to figure out why the card I was trying to add to a deck yesterday wasn't appearing when I tried to add it. Turns out it was just this one tiny tick box threatening my sanity lol

Secondly (But less importantly) Is it possible to add the card preview image on the collection add?
I.E. to hover over the cards and see a preview of it. I personally just find it more intuitive than using the numbers, which would require pulling the physical deck to match. 

Just my personal opinions as always.
Either way, always appreciate the efforts and structure, Sebi. Stay awesome!

~S~

sebi wrote:

The "Add to inventory/Wishlist" options in the deck rows context menu now properly use the defaults for that set, if any.

Thanks for bringing back the feature!
A question though: where are the market sellers for a given card? That list was also useful when browsing cards, to compare prices (and as seller, seeing where my price was positioned against other sellers).

Fueled wrote:
sebi wrote:

Thanks for bringing back the feature!
A question though: where are the market sellers for a given card? That list was also useful when browsing cards, to compare prices (and as seller, seeing where my price was positioned against other sellers).

I assume since the marketplace was sunsetted, the need to keep that section is minimal.

@Sebi: I was matching my decks to inventory and came across a potential upgrade. The inventory could show how many of a particular edition is used. For example, Bloodfell Cave (the first land I happened to be working) I have 10 copies of. There are 50 decks I could put it in. Right now I've used all 10, but if I got any more, it'd be really useful to see which ones aren't showing as matched. In the attached image, I would replace the 14s with 9, 1, 2, 2, 1 (I use the Khans version in all of my EDH decks, which are my only decks allowed to share). Then if I got another MOM version, it would show 2 owned, 1 in decks, because I hadn't matched a second MOM version to any deck. This would greatly help in deck building, as right now if I had one unused I have no idea which version it is and where to look in my collection.

Last edited by JTK421 (2024-01-10 15:20:00)

Post's attachments

Screenshot 2024-01-10 072632.png 52.18 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Sightburner wrote:

Firstly, the 'add to deck' feature defaults to 'from collection'. Is this necessary?

It defaults to 'from inventory' when the deck is marked as built and is unchecked by default in deck ideas (as a deck being "built" signifies those cards are in your inventory already most of the time). I'm not sure what the best solution is... I could try to make it "sticky" so it just defaults to whatever you clicked last.

Is it possible to add the card preview image on the collection add?

Yep, I can add something for that. In the printing dropdown on card pages (the selector at the top of the page on a card page: https://deckbox.org/mtg/Mountain?fromqs=true) there is a "picture" icon, that when hovered shows the card. I could add this to all the autocompleted selectors I suppose.

Last edited by sebi (2024-01-10 15:04:31)

Fueled wrote:

I'm in the process of removing the marketplace features. For more details see this post from a few months ago: https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32011