Re: New feature: Deck - Collection matching (and more)

sebi wrote:

It defaults to 'from inventory' when the deck is marked as built and is unchecked by default in deck ideas (as a deck being "built" signifies those cards are in your inventory already most of the time). I'm not sure what the best solution is... I could try to make it "sticky" so it just defaults to whatever you clicked last.

That actually makes a lot of sense. Having the knowledge makes this seem less of a distraction for me, personally - thank you!

sebi wrote:

Yep, I can add something for that. In the printing dropdown on card pages (the selector at the top of the page on a card page: https://deckbox.org/mtg/Mountain?fromqs=true) there is a "picture" icon, that when hovered shows the card. I could add this to all the autocompleted selectors I suppose.

That would be hugely appreciated; again, for new decks, the numbers work, but having to go into existing decks to verify every number is exponentially more difficult, IMO.

Thanks again! Appreciate everything you do!

~S~

JTK421 wrote:

@Sebi: I was matching my decks to inventory and came across a potential upgrade. The inventory could show how many of a particular edition is used. For example, Bloodfell Cave (the first land I happened to be working) I have 10 copies of. There are 50 decks I could put it in. Right now I've used all 10, but if I got any more, it'd be really useful to see which ones aren't showing as matched. In the attached image, I would replace the 14s with 9, 1, 2, 2, 1 (I use the Khans version in all of my EDH decks, which are my only decks allowed to share). Then if I got another MOM version, it would show 2 owned, 1 in decks, because I hadn't matched a second MOM version to any deck. This would greatly help in deck building, as right now if I had one unused I have no idea which version it is and where to look in my collection.

Ah, the issue here is that the "built decks" feature is premium-only. Setting details and inventory matching on deck cards was also premium-account only, but somehow I left it enabled for free accounts too on release.

For premium accounts there is a secondary column in the inventory called "Built Decks" that shows the correct exact matching numbers.

Admittedly now this is all confusing since I announced the feature but forgot to limit it to premium and now the interactions for free accounts are a bit weird. Will think about this...

The restructuring of the filters in Inventory is nice, but something has broken the search results. If I search my inventory for mythics from Midnight Hunt, the results include cards in my collection that were not that rarity in Midnight Hunt (e.g., Delver of Secrets) and I don't even own a mythic printing of the card. The same is true for a rare search.

Hope it's an easy fix.

MandrillMan wrote:
bkit wrote:

Great Job!

After this uptade in deck view there are no colors in columns (green blue yellow).

I noticed this as well is this intentional or a bug/error? I very much prefer seeing the colors.

Cards that you don't have enough copies in your collection for this specific deck are still being marked yellow, but yes, I also liked previous implementation of coloring scheme.

"Decks containing" being in the center of the page is pretty good but the justification seems wrong from UX perspective. That is the decklist name is justified left and selected printing and "matching" dropdown list is justified right. This means there is large empty space in the middle and the matching menu unfolds even further to the right even outside of the main page center. I wonder if right side elements could not be moved more to the left to resemble more how they look in decklist. Perhaps putting rightmost columns on the left of decklist name would work better while maintaining total width of the table.

Sightburner wrote:

Much appreciated, Sebi.

Followup questions, with the preface that I obv don't know what you have in the pipeline:

Firstly, the 'add to deck' feature defaults to 'from collection'. Is this necessary?
Some idiot, who may have been me, spent too many minutes trying to figure out why the card I was trying to add to a deck yesterday wasn't appearing when I tried to add it. Turns out it was just this one tiny tick box threatening my sanity lol

Secondly (But less importantly) Is it possible to add the card preview image on the collection add?
I.E. to hover over the cards and see a preview of it. I personally just find it more intuitive than using the numbers, which would require pulling the physical deck to match. 

Just my personal opinions as always.
Either way, always appreciate the efforts and structure, Sebi. Stay awesome!

~S~

I agree. This would be incredibly helpful.  With so many variants, the name and set number are no longer enough if you're a visual deck builder.

A great example of this being implemented is on CardMarket in Europe.
https://jmp.sh/uFM5Jdfe+/Screen+Shot+2024-01-11+at+3.30.54+PM.png

Having it not default to showing the image when hovering on the list, but having the option when you hover over a camera or other symbol would make it work without it having to show images all the time.

sebi wrote:
Sightburner wrote:

Firstly, the 'add to deck' feature defaults to 'from collection'. Is this necessary?

It defaults to 'from inventory' when the deck is marked as built and is unchecked by default in deck ideas (as a deck being "built" signifies those cards are in your inventory already most of the time). I'm not sure what the best solution is... I could try to make it "sticky" so it just defaults to whatever you clicked last.

Is it possible to add the card preview image on the collection add?

Yep, I can add something for that. In the printing dropdown on card pages (the selector at the top of the page on a card page: https://deckbox.org/mtg/Mountain?fromqs=true) there is a "picture" icon, that when hovered shows the card. I could add this to all the autocompleted selectors I suppose.

Haha, I should have kept reading.  Looks like you got it under control.  This solution would be greatly appreciated.

It would be lovely to have that implemented.  When select from collection is not selected, you could use the default selection.

I have encountered many problems with this update, and I don't know if they are bugs or if I don't understand the new features/changes.

All the problems are in the decks section.
First of all, I can't "autofill" my decks with cards from my collection anymore, I tried the "match details to collection" button and it doesn't seem to work, it just completes some cards but most of my cards remain with unselected versions. All my decks are now "versionless" and it is a pain to get them manually card by card on almost 100 decks.

Also, the deck tab now uses cards on my wishlist and doesn't show them in red, but in white as I just have them, which makes shopping a bit awkward. The shopping assistant button seems to be missing as well sad

Having multiple prints/conditions on a playset also makes the "cards not owned" count to increase even if I have all of them.

Colors in general seems strange, I dont understand the logic behind colors in card counts on decks (white/green/yellow/red).

Hopefully someone can help me understand what's a bug and what's me not understanding the update :S
Thanks in advance!!!

Tags in drop down:

When using the drop downs to add cards to deck or manage decks you can see the associated Tags for each card, however the display page is missing those tags.  It would probably be more consistent to have it visible anytime you are referencing the actual printing:

https://jmp.sh/9verNkQx+/Screen+Shot+2024-01-11+at+3.49.33+PM.png

Yaco wrote:

First of all, I can't "autofill" my decks with cards from my collection anymore, I tried the "match details to collection" button and it doesn't seem to work, it just completes some cards but most of my cards remain with unselected versions. All my decks are now "versionless" and it is a pain to get them manually card by card on almost 100 decks.

Yeah, the previous system just picked something in your inventory to match to, and the new system just picks something if it's the only thing in your inventory. I am thinking to make this more aggressively picking *something* from your inventory, even when you have multiple things it could match...

The shopping assistant button seems to be missing as well sad

The marketplace features are currently being removed, see also this post from a few months ago: https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32011

Having multiple prints/conditions on a playset also makes the "cards not owned" count to increase even if I have all of them.

Which page / column / count is this happening on?

Colors in general seems strange, I dont understand the logic behind colors in card counts on decks (white/green/yellow/red).

Yeah, this was perhaps a bad idea to change those. I am looking at changing them back. The idea was if a card is matched to the inventory, the inventory count is green, if to wishlist the wishlist count is green. Then the count of the card in that deck varies, depending if it's matched or not, if you have enough or not on the matched one. I'm thinking to change the colors back on the inv/wish counts and just add an indicator next to the printing details to show if it's matched to inv or wish or not matched.

sebi wrote:

Yeah, the previous system just picked something in your inventory to match to, and the new system just picks something if it's the only thing in your inventory. I am thinking to make this more aggressively picking *something* from your inventory, even when you have multiple things it could match...

It would be awesome, at first glance, it looks like you don't have copies of a card if it looks like this.

The marketplace features are currently being removed, see also this post from a few months ago: https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32011

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that post.

Which page / column / count is this happening on?

Take a look, for example, i've a playset of Birds of Paradise, but all 4 cards have different conditions / editions and 1 is missprinted. The "cards not owned" section of that deck counts as i have only 1 Bird:

https://jmp.sh/e1fiQCLj

For this issue the only alternative that i've found its to split the copies, but obviously its pretty annoing:

https://jmp.sh/tWHPViIJ

...Then the count of the card in that deck varies, depending if it's matched or not, if you have enough or not on the matched one. I'm thinking to change the colors back on the inv/wish counts and just add an indicator next to the printing details to show if it's matched to inv or wish or not matched.

I think its a good idea, but yes, the old system worked perfectly well for me.
Its just a shame that you can only match with one exact version of a card instead of mixing all the versions/conditions/languages you have in your collection like it used to be.

Thanks for developing this awesome app wink

Yaco wrote:

I have encountered many problems with this update, and I don't know if they are bugs or if I don't understand the new features/changes.

Not to belabor the point but I think this much more succinctly covers my thoughts/feelings on this latest update, particularly the portion above regarding the "match details to collection" tool not really working. I'll also add that I used to be able to change the edition of a card by clicking the drop down on the set symbol but now have to go through extra steps of using the drop down on the card name and go through a series of sub-menus to pick an edition which is a lot clunkier and less efficient than it was before.

Noticed that when i try and match to collection it shows every printing, not just those in my collection.. and if i choose a printing i dont have it automatically adds it to my inventory.

Cool new update sebi , I was a bit shocked when all the colors were gone, but as soon as I realized the difference between deck idea and built it all comes together.

The cards automatically matching to a specific card in a collection only if it's the only one feels like it creates more work, although on the other hand, before I had to manually check each row to see if it picked the correct one. On the plus side, using the quick-menu (arrow) -> matching -> owned and picking the correct card seems very quick. Would almost say it was faster than before to correctly match 10+ cards in a deck I imported..

A suggestion:
1) To auto-run the 'match to inventory' after the 'add card list' function has been used. 95% of times I import a complete decklist at one time, running the 'match to inventory after this would save me a few clicks.

2) A setting for the auto-matching when several different cards are present, for example a) newest printing b) oldest printing c) complete playset

Good Job, change is always scary smile

Hey Sebi enjoying the new update, still trying to get my head around it haha. I have noticed that the card count only is highlighted if there is a conflict within the deck, but not with other decks.
In my example, i have 1 each of 4 different versions of esper sentinel. I have one deck that needs 4, which i have split into 4 rows each matching one version. I have another deck that needs one, and it is set to one of the versions. This doesn't highlight yellow or prompt cards not matched to collection, when previously it did. I have the setting for sharing cards between decks turned off. In the image you can see for the third copy I have only one of that printing, and need two in my built decks but it isnt yellow.

Another suggestion is to add the split row button to the new edit this row only drop down, same as in the edit all menu.

Thanks

Last edited by neddleberries (2024-01-12 13:06:29)

Post's attachments

image_2024-01-12_233621631.png 20.61 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

This is an interesting and complex change, wow! While I'm still getting used to it, some initial thoughts:

1. There should be a "Add a new row for this card" like feature that splits the row, i.e., subtract one from count of the existing row. That'd make it easier to associate cards in a deck with their respective collection copies when going from idea to built deck.
2. Exporting decklists should collapse multiple entries for a card into one. Judges don't care that some of my cards are EX, others are NM, it's not even reflected in the text export/decklist. This may have been a problem before but since I always use the same printing/language for a card in a deck, and didn't care about the selected condition (see also below), I may just never have noticed.
3. It is not possible to revert from a specific printing to the default one. It counts as a custom printing, including showing the yellow highlight. I have 17 Archaeomancers, and the row reverted to "default" claims that I don't have enough of the card in this specific printing, probably because all of them have set and language defined.
4. It would be nice to get back the red indicator for not owning enough of a card in any printing / all versions combined. That's different from having to improvise wrt printings to a significant enough degree to get a separate indicator IMO.
5. Language, set, version, all are more significant for deck building than condition, but it's still useful to track condition for cards when my expensive cards differ there. In particular for premodern or legacy decks I have old cards in multiple wildly different conditions, but otherwise (language, set) identical. Needing up to four rows to correctly reflect this in a built deck seems unnecessary, especially when I own exactly as many as I put in a deck. Perhaps the UI could be streamlined for this case, so internally it's still 4 entries/"rows", but it only shows as one, perhaps with a more complex Edition column?

trying to edit a deck but the drop down for picking what card from my collection it is is missing!!! is this going to be fixed?

Dragonfyre_Games wrote:

trying to edit a deck but the drop down for picking what card from my collection it is is missing!!! is this going to be fixed?

I noticed this wasn't working from my phone at all, but seemed to work fine from a PC...

ZombieSleeve wrote:

When using the drop downs to add cards to deck or manage decks you can see the associated Tags for each card, however the display page is missing those tags.

Fixed now, thanks.

Dragonfyre_Games wrote:

It's on the left side of the card name, I consolidated everything into a single menu, but have received feedback that this is not intuitive nor as fast as when the "matching" dropdown was next to the printing.

I'm currently working to revert the color changes for the count columns (inv, wishlist etc), and to add that information and a dropdown menu back next to the printing.

RandomUser0137 wrote:

I noticed this wasn't working from my phone at all, but seemed to work fine from a PC...

Hmm, seems to work on my phone. Which browser are you using?

I'm not sure if this bug is related to the changes in this thread, but as I've only seen it after these were implemented, I'm guessing so.

On the Inventory screen, if I filter by "Edition Printed In" -> "Is one of", it gives me too many results. I get ALL the editions I own of the cards that are from the selected set.

For example, selecting Ravnica Remastered I see thirteen different printings of Act of Treason, instead of just the one I have from Ravnica Remastered.

Thanks for all the hard work on the site!

Boogada wrote:

I'm not sure if this bug is related to the changes in this thread, but as I've only seen it after these were implemented, I'm guessing so.

On the Inventory screen, if I filter by "Edition Printed In" -> "Is one of", it gives me too many results. I get ALL the editions I own of the cards that are from the selected set.

For example, selecting Ravnica Remastered I see thirteen different printings of Act of Treason, instead of just the one I have from Ravnica Remastered.

Thanks for all the hard work on the site!

From what I see, that's not a bug. There's two edition searches. There's "Edition Printed In", which will find you a card in your collection if it was printed in that edition, and there's "Edition Owned", which will find only a card you own in that edition. I play casually, so I hadn't bought a Kamigawa Farewell. I DID buy the Dr. Who decks. If I search White Sorcery with Edition Owned as Kamigawa, Farewell won't show. If I search White Sorcery with Edition Printed In, it'll show my Whovian Farewell.

Edition Printed In is basically an extension of the Format search, but for set specific. Are you going to an Alara block tournament and need to know what you can bring? Good news if you have a Magic Origins or Dragons of Tarkir version of Dragon Fodder

Yaco wrote:

Also, the deck tab now uses cards on my wishlist and doesn't show them in red, but in white as I just have them, which makes shopping a bit awkward. The shopping assistant button seems to be missing as well sad

Hopefully someone can help me understand what's a bug and what's me not understanding the update :S
Thanks in advance!!!

Totally agree with everything you said. This update is awful, no offense. It does not improve the user experience at all.

Last edited by Davidy212 (2024-01-18 00:47:10)

Davidy212 wrote:
Yaco wrote:

Thanks in advance!!!

Totally agree with everything you said. This update is awful, no offense. It does not improve the user experience at all.

I also think that the update with the drop-down sub-menus is really tedious to use and the overall experience gets frankly annoying after a while... Can we please revert to the previous version? I have been a user of this site for many years and would like to continue using it in the long term...

Thanks!

Last edited by magiqmaster (2024-01-22 18:32:07)

I have added back the dropdown next to the card details, removing the "Matching" submenu. It seems the change has been confusing for many. I have tried to not have it as a simple caret icon but with a text & color showing what the card is matched to (inventory/wishlist/custom/default).

I changed the column colors for inventory count and wishlist count back to just always be green and yellow, messing with that has been also confusing. Reverted.

The deck count should be red again now when the count is larger than the sum of the card (over all printings) in inv + wish.

mwl wrote:

This is an interesting and complex change, wow! While I'm still getting used to it, some initial thoughts:

1. There should be a "Add a new row for this card" like feature that splits the row, i.e., subtract one from count of the existing row. That'd make it easier to associate cards in a deck with their respective collection copies when going from idea to built deck.
2. Exporting decklists should collapse multiple entries for a card into one. Judges don't care that some of my cards are EX, others are NM, it's not even reflected in the text export/decklist. This may have been a problem before but since I always use the same printing/language for a card in a deck, and didn't care about the selected condition (see also below), I may just never have noticed.
3. It is not possible to revert from a specific printing to the default one. It counts as a custom printing, including showing the yellow highlight. I have 17 Archaeomancers, and the row reverted to "default" claims that I don't have enough of the card in this specific printing, probably because all of them have set and language defined.
4. It would be nice to get back the red indicator for not owning enough of a card in any printing / all versions combined. That's different from having to improvise wrt printings to a significant enough degree to get a separate indicator IMO.
5. Language, set, version, all are more significant for deck building than condition, but it's still useful to track condition for cards when my expensive cards differ there. In particular for premodern or legacy decks I have old cards in multiple wildly different conditions, but otherwise (language, set) identical. Needing up to four rows to correctly reflect this in a built deck seems unnecessary, especially when I own exactly as many as I put in a deck. Perhaps the UI could be streamlined for this case, so internally it's still 4 entries/"rows", but it only shows as one, perhaps with a more complex Edition column?

Will think more about 1. and 5.. Waiting to see if any other users also mention similar wishes, before changing this.

2,3,4 should be fixed now.