Topic: Release 2.0: Collection interface changes, MANY trading rules changes

Hello everybody. We are very pleased to announce a new release of deckbox.org, with a ton of changes and improvements. It's been a long time coming, but we're finally there.

For more information about what has been changed, read below.

MtG Collections

The biggest focus and challenge was to allow easier import and management of detailed cards in MtG collections. The old "Edit details" dialog was not cutting it.

You will find in the Add Cards dialog that we have merged the simple card input with the advanced one, bringing - we hope - the best of both worlds.

We now have "defaults" selectors for edition, condition and language, so you can set them once and have them applied to all cards you add from then on. Defaults can be set to empty if you do not want to have extra information about your cards. The defaults are present also in the add card list input.

A new input option is the CSV import. The CSV file format is conveniently the one we export, so exporting your collection works as a backup too, since you can import it again with one click, with all the card information, like editions, conditions, foil etc.

Some other related changes, in no particular order:

• aside from foil, textless and promo, we now have a new flag: signed

• card languages are now written in english

• we have added 2 new card conditions, as described here: http://deckbox.org/help/card_conditions

• as an effect of the collection changes, trades now show detailed cards, with edition and condition, if you have selected them in your inventory

• Inventory has now the option to Mark all cards as tradeble

• You can now sort and filter by the edition you set on cards, and by foil status

• Cards in your inventory that are used in decks or are present in current ongoing trades are marked with an icon (a clickable icon tongue)

Pricing

There has been much discussion about pricing in deckbox, and for good reason. The average price over all printings of a card was not accurate or useful enough. From now on, in all cases where you specify an edition for a card, we will show the price for that edition. (The card tooltip should also show the proper printing for that edition).

Also, in all cases where you do not specify an edition, the card price becomes its price in its last main set (i.e. not in Duel Decks, Commander packages etc). Estimated values for decks and collections will go down a bit because of this.

Trades

Our trading rules have significantly changed. Please read the following documents if you intend to trade cards on deckbox:

Individual trade pages have changed to accomodate the new detailed card conditions. You will now select specific versions of cards from your inventory when adding them to trades (if you have set details in your inventory, of course).

A user's feedback score is now displayed a little differently. A total score is shown, and a percentage of trades that had positive feedback. It is important to note that neutral feedback no longer influences the feedback score in any way. 1 positive trade, 1 negative will still count as score 1, 100% positive. But 3 positive trades,  1 negative will yield a score of 2, 75% positive.

Local trades and trades that have been canceled before being accepted do not count for feedback. They are now displayed in a separate section on a users trades page.

Trades canceled after being accepted DO count for feedback. In case of hanging trades that are still in your Pending section, do not hesitate to cancel them.

Negative feedback can now only be assigned with moderator approval. For this to happen a user must post a thread in the Bad Trading Reports forum describing the trade problems. Please consult the rules documents linked above for details about this. (They are also stickied in the trade forums for easy access.)

If you have received a negative feedback score in the past that you feel was not fair according to the new trade rules, please send us an email at support@deckbox.org describing the situation, and we will change it to neutral.

Other features

• Facebook login - You can now login with your facebook account if you connect it from your profile page, or just by using the Facebook button in the login dialog. Be advised though that you should have your deckbox email identical to the one you use on facebook for the login button to work.

• Terms and Conditions - We have updated our Terms and Conditions 1 and Privacy Policy2.

• Infrastructure - last but not least, we have a very large number of infrastructure changes on all levels of the stack - database migrations, programming language version upgrades, web framework upgrades and structural changes. You guys don't see all that, but you have to take our word for it that all this makes it easier for us to deliver faster, stabler, nicer features in the future. smile

As always, looking forward to your feedback, positive or negative, it really helps us build a better website. There's issues we already know about, but probably there are more issues that we don't yet know about, so if
something crashes, we'd love to know smile

1. http://deckbox.org/help/legal

2. http://deckbox.org/help/privacy

Happy New Year,
Sebi

Re: Release 2.0: Collection interface changes, MANY trading rules changes

Sebi and the Deckbox team,

Thank you very much for all of your hard work in getting these changes finalized and implemented. I've been using Deckbox since the summer of 2012, and have really come to rely upon this site to manage my growing MTG collection. The format synchronization between the import and export will be a major help for backups, etc., and I already appreciate being able to distinguish whether another trader wants foils, signed, etc.

Two things I noticed as I logged on this morning:

1) All prices for Magic 2013 cards are showing up as $0.00, whether I define the edition or not. The same goes for all basic lands, which, to be honest, I'm fine with vs. the oddly ramped up costs for these cards that I had seen before.

2) The Ajax/jQuery-style code effects aren't really geared for iPad users like me. I can still do what I need around the site, but some of the newest features (such as selecting the edition from the icon in the card details page) make me perform an extra step to do what I need from a touchscreen. Also, the typeface isn't consistent between page formats (profile main page vs. trade in progress page). These aren't deal breakers for me by any means, but I wanted to let you know about them nonetheless.

Again, you guys are fully awesome, and you continue to have my loyalty. :-)

Happy New Year!

Mike Zavarello (brightmatrix)

Last edited by brightmatrix (2012-12-30 12:41:54)

Thanks for the nice words brightmatrix.

The M13 card prices have been updated and should be fine now.

some of the newest features (such as selecting the edition from the icon in the card details page) make me perform an extra step to do what I need from a touchscreen

I'm not sure I follow your example, are you referring to selecting an edition in the card details panel? I admit we haven't really tested it too much on tablets, we'll try to do it soon (because tablets rock and we would love deckbox to work great on them tongue).

I had posted this feedback on another thread, but I'm not sure how much if it was seen.  So, just in case, I'll post it here as well:

Bugs I am seeing:

- Feedback is being sorted by oldest first.  Newest first is probably what most people would expect.  smile

- I'm frequently having the edit quantity popup automatically close itself, despite not having hit Apply.  I'm not sure what is triggering it, but it is crazy frustrating.

- On trading opportunities, I had this listed:

Kyle Roen     United States - Altus     24     41

That is, I can get 24 and give 41.

But when I went to his profile, I could only give 2, not 41, because he only wanted foils.  The second number seems to be frequently inaccurate, though, regardless of whether they only want foils or what not.

Feedback / Requests:
- It's still quite hard to find people to trade with, if I'm looking for a specific card.  For example, if I'm looking for a Abrupt Decay, there are be 360 users over 52 pages (!!!), of which 90% of them have 0 feedback and don't mail trade.  Sorting by proximity to you is really only useful if you only do local trades.  It would be nice if I could simply select which countries I'll trade with (Australia, Canada, USA), have the list ignore countries not on the list, and then sort the list by feedback count or recent activity.  Paging through 52 pages (*sad exclamation point*) of users to find the handful that actually trade is a really painful slog.  A toggle to choose between Proximity, Feedback, and Activeness would be probably the most useful upgrade possible.

I had also proposed -- maybe a couple years ago -- simply having a minimum feedback requirement in one's settings.  At the time, it had been a quite liked idea, but it seems to have been passed over.  Basically, "0" would be the default, but if you set it to, say, 5, then only people with 5 would show up in the "having X in tradelist" list.

- It would be nice if my Friends page could show me the amount of available trading opportunities I have, just like I get when I view the root of the site.

- Speaking of which, it would also be great if the "Trading opportunities" panel wasn't just hidden on the main page.  When I first started using the site, it took me over a month to find out that it even existed.  I have friends who are constantly surprised by it.  It would be so much more awesome if Trading Opportunities was simply its own page, along with "Trades", "Inventory", "Tradelist", etc.

- It would also be great if I could use TCGPlayer Low in the trade itself, where everybody could see.  The average is frequently terrible, especially for cards that are dropping in value, such as when they recently rotate.  Right now, if I set my preferences to TCGPlayer low, in an individual trade, it shows me the low price and my trading partner their preference, which is usually the average price.  Further, the totals get all screwed up.  Almost all my local trades are done by TCG low, because it's far more representative of what we would actually pay.

- Having some way to list cash on either side of a trade would also be handy.

Otherwise, thanks so much for all your hard work on the updates.  The improvements are all wonderful!

Last edited by marumari (2012-12-30 14:26:57)

Sorry, the bugs keep coming in!  tongue

When I go to edit a card's quantity, it doesn't autoselect the entire field, which quickly gets annoying.  For example, if I go to a card and want to change its quantity from 1 to 2, I have to:

Click to the right of the number
Hit the delete key
Type in 2

In the old one, you would just click in the field, it would "select all", and you could just type 2.

It's a minor bug, but it's one of those UI annoyances that adds up over time.  smile

Another feature request / bug:

When I go to inventory, I might have the same card (say, Flooded Strand) show up in three different spots, wildly separated from each other -- even on different pages.  That might be because I have 4 marked as NM Onslaught English, 2 marked as Onslaught NM, and one just marked as Onslaught.  But because they can be separated from each other because they were added at different times, it can make my inventory both very long, and very hard to navigate at a glance.  It would be great if I could have an option to "Only show duplicated cards" so I could tidy up my inventory and fix this problem.

The best solution I've found thus far is to sort by price, but that still leaves me to page through my inventory... which can be quite long.  smile

Similarly, an option to "Collapse duplicates" would also be handy, at least for my own inventory and tradelist.

Last edited by marumari (2012-12-30 14:21:32)

Hello marumari, thanks again for the in depth posts. We have indeed read your feedback on the preview thread as well, and there are a lot of great ideas there. If we do not respond to feedback posts it is not because we ignore them, but because we really don't have time to answer all posts. I personally read each and every one of the threads on the forum, even if i can't always answer smile

@trading opportunities issues: You are right, the trading opportunities section on user profiles and card pages is incomplete, slow and not as good as it could be. It's one of the very first things we want to reimplement now that the release is out. We really like the idea of a separate page for it! There's possibly going to be a "teaser" / "summary" widget on the profile still, with some information, and then for more details a user will navigate to a separate "find trades" page.

We'll prototype some stuff and get back to you guys about that, with an announcements / "request for feedback" post at some point in january.

@clicking in count inputs - it's now fixed, the number of cards should now select itself when you click

@issue with cards showing in different places: can you please link a listing which shows this? I'll take a look at why that happens. Mostly I'm interested what the filters / sort order is, as that might affect it.

Here is something that I am definitely not a big fan of:  I am in my inventory. I click Import Cards. I start to type "Lightning Angel" (for example), and it starts suggesting cards for me. I mean to click Lightning Angel, but instead I hit Lightning Axe. Then the detailed information pops up so I can change version, quality, etc. There is an "Apply" and "Close" button at the bottom. I realize my mistake, and click close. But, guess what? The card is already in my inventory. Now I have delete it and then add the correct one.

dorvaan wrote:

Here is something that I am definitely not a big fan of:  I am in my inventory. I click Import Cards. I start to type "Lightning Angel" (for example), and it starts suggesting cards for me. I mean to click Lightning Angel, but instead I hit Lightning Axe. Then the detailed information pops up so I can change version, quality, etc. There is an "Apply" and "Close" button at the bottom. I realize my mistake, and click close. But, guess what? The card is already in my inventory. Now I have delete it and then add the correct one.

Thanks for the feedback. I've responded on reddit.com as well, but I'm posting here too, maybe other users will chime in with their opinion on the Add Widget.

We chose to add cards by default when you select them from the autocompleter because users generally want to add things really FAST to their inventories, and this speeds up the process.

You can type for example: Mounta, hit enter for Mountain, and you've already added an M13 mountain to your inventory, which is faster than it was in the old version.

If you type Mount and click by mistake on Mount Keralia instead of Mountain, then you can press TAB, type 0 and ENTER. And it's gone from the inventory again, the focus is back in the card input and you can start typing Mountain again.

This is of course flexible, we might change it if people find it not nice / intuitive, so we appreciate all the feedback we get. Looking forward to other users' opinions on this.

Last edited by sebi (2012-12-30 16:32:22)

Okay, I've figured it out:

http://deckbox.org/sets/79689?c=li& … =2&s=l

When sorted by Date Added, Counterbalance shows up at the top of cards added at "22-Dec-2012 11:34", but also at the bottom.  It's a 2/2 split.  They should probably, at the very least, be right next to each other.  smile

Last edited by marumari (2012-12-30 16:39:44)

From the Trading Guidelines, these two links don't lead where they say, and I don't think that either place even actually exists on the site, or at least it isn't visible to the general public.

Deckbox Bad Trading Report forum
Deckbox Official Bad Trader List

Thanks very much for this OUTSTANDING update!  I just started using Deckbox a few days ago to catalog my collection (I have a long way to go big_smile ), but the update is most welcome.

I am having one small issue so far.  If I try to Export my collection and include the "Price" column in the Export, nothing happens.  The file download does not trigger.  Any other combination of included columns seems to work just fine.

I am using a Mac running OS 10.7.5 and have tried both Safari and Firefox browsers so far.  I'll keep experimenting with others.

Last edited by Morseth (2012-12-30 17:18:15)

Morseth wrote:

I am having one small issue so far.  If I try to Export my collection and include the "Price" column in the Export, nothing happens.  The file download does not trigger.  Any other combination of included columns seems to work just fine.

Yep, sorry about that. It's fixed now.

The new layout looks great!

However, I found a minor issue. If I try to login while viewing my inventory page, I can't because there is a lower case 'f' in my password. Instead of typing in the 'f', it keeps opening up the filter options when I type 'f'.

Sebi,

I absolutely love this site, and even more so after these new changes. But I must say, it's still quite difficult to use the "Trading Opportunities" section. There are too many inactive people on there that makes finding someone who a) has a card you want, b) wants a card you have, and c) is an active trader, a fruitless endeavor.

Similarly, on the individual card pages, the part that shows people who have that card in their Trade/Wishlist is sorted only by proximity. This seems silly for someone who exclusively trades through the mail, and it's equally as frustrating to find someone who is active when it's sorted this way.

I would like to see these sections updated so you can sort by more features, such as date last active and number of trades made (or feedback score). 

Thank your for your hard work on this site!

-GrodyToadie

NullParameter wrote:

From the Trading Guidelines, these two links don't lead where they say, and I don't think that either place even actually exists on the site, or at least it isn't visible to the general public.

Yep, didn't get to creating them yet smile. Now they should be up and linked.

TrinketMage wrote:

If I try to login while viewing my inventory page, I can't because there is a lower case 'f' in my password. Instead of typing in the 'f', it keeps opening up the filter options when I type 'f'.

Thanks for reporting. It's fixed now.

grodytoadie wrote:

I absolutely love this site, and even more so after these new changes. But I must say, it's still quite difficult to use the "Trading Opportunities" section.

Yes, you are quite right. I've briefly touched on the issue in a reply to marumari above.

The short version of the answer is that rewriting the trading opportunities is at the top of the list for this january smile

There are still a few editions missing, e.g. Renaissance, Rinascimento and European Limited (Revised for German, Italian and French and 4th for Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese and Korean). There is a significant difference between prices between a German Limited and Unlimited Underground Sea.

Last edited by Fropper (2012-12-30 19:37:58)

How do you set the defaults for inventory details like language and condition?

i dont like the new update, i cant sort by number of cards i have now, yall took out the row that showed how many cards were in decks, i love your site for inventorying but since the new update it makes it harder to keep up with what i have and what decks they are in. plus i have to go in and update all my cards so i know what set they are in, i didnt care about the condition of the card or what country. thank you for you time.

I'm having issues with Opera Mobile where I have to login again and again and again.  It seems to keep losing my session.  :\

Firefox used to save my password and allow me to easily log in, now with the way the login is set up it won't work.  Is that little window that pops up on an SSL connection or something?

I am loving the ability to click on a card and see what trades that card is involved with, but it's somewhat hidden in there.

Yeah being able to have the site remember my info was handy. I'm more confused as to how I get my inventory to show me my cards in the "most recently added" format that the previous "Add Cards" widgety thing was nice enough to inform me about if I wasn't already using it.
edit: Nevermind. Seems everytime I can't figure something out and go ask I figure it out after a minute more poking around trying to figure it out.

Duplicates being all over the place because their information isn't the -EXACT- same as others of the same title does seem a bit excessive though.

Last edited by Host (2012-12-31 03:12:31)

Host wrote:

Yeah being able to have the site remember my info was handy. I'm more confused as to how I get my inventory to show me my cards in the "most recently added" format that the previous "Add Cards" widgety thing was nice enough to inform me about if I wasn't already using it.

+1 to this.

I found that I could sort by date added if I started on my inventory screen.  If I went to add cards after doing that, it kept displaying them by the date (most recent).  When I first tried to add inventory, it didn't give me that option at all (no date column was visible).

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Cant seem to log in on the main site through any means, however I seem to be able to log into the forums just fine.