Topic: Play MTG in your web browser

I have (slowly) been working on creating a web application that would allow you to play magic in your web browser. The application links to your deckbox account and pulls your decks (whether they are real or not) to let you play 1-on-1, X-headed giant, EDH, etc.

When I heard there was already such a program out there, I kinda quit the project. Have any of you ever used it? I'm not even sure what it's called but I see screenshots from it on Reddit all the time. Does it work well? Is there anything you wish that website did that it doesn't do? Does it work on your smartphone? I need a programming project to get some website development work experience and this idea has always been with me but I don't want to proceed if something already exists.

Re: Play MTG in your web browser

Go for it. Sounds like a great idea.

Would you rather play magic on your PC or your phone? I'm more motivated to do the PC since I don't have a smartphone but I have created more apps than websites.

You're probably thinking of Cockatrice.  Yes, it works, but it is clunky mostly because it doesn't know the rules of the game (Mostly for copyright reasons).  Possibly you're thinking of MTGO which is the official program, but you have to buy cards for that seperately. 

I've played with both, but Cocatrice is nice for testing out decks solo before you build them.   Neither program is web-based.

I think you should go for it too! I'd rather PC though because I also don't have a smartphone smile I like that you want it to link to deckbox. I've been trying to find a site to do that as well but anything that I've found wants me to upload cards and I don't want to do that again. Especially since I wasn't sure if it was even what I was really looking for. I did find a site that said I could play online, I think it may have been Cockatrice, but I had to download it to my computer and since I don't use my own laptopI didn't really want to do that. I think it's a GREAT idea!

skyth wrote:

You're probably thinking of Cockatrice.  Yes, it works, but it is clunky mostly because it doesn't know the rules of the game (Mostly for copyright reasons).

Yes, Cockatrice was the one I was thinking about. I'm nervous about the copyright laws so I probably won't let this project get too big; I'll just have a server running that could host enough games to keep the Rochester group playing. I don't care to gain too much attention, nor do I care to pay for the hardware needed to let the world use such an application. I just want to pad my resume and make something cool while I'm at it.

That said, the way I have this thing designed, I don't think I violate any laws or terms of use.

I've decided to call the project "playmat." Let me know if you have a better idea for a name. Here's how it works: You'll create an account separate from your deckbox account and will then be able to join/create game. The account is so statistics, preferences, history, etc. can be associated with each person. Like W/L record for each deck you play with. I think the first release will be pretty useless. It will essentially be a virtual table. All it will know is the location of cards: What's in your hand, what's in your graveyard, what's in your library, what's on the table and so on. When you use this thing, you'll have to know how to play the game. You choose when to draw a card, when to discard, how conflict works, etc. This isn't a video game. You can cheat like crazy. Want to draw your entire library? No problem. Want to cast your entire graveyard for no mana? OK, you can do that. You have to track your life total, where your cards should be on the battlefield, and what your opponent is doing. A small chat window will let you talk with your opponent, and will report each public action you take, so if you do cheat, he/she can send some swear words your way.

So what's the benefit? Not dealing with physical cards at all. Your deckbox decks are all public information. For example, my 1-UP deck is public to the world as Set # 271790. Anyone, anywhere can go to deckbox.org/sets/271790 and see it. If you want to play with 1-UP, just copy and paste "271790" into Playmat and it will load all the cards for your use. Want to play with a random deck you found on deckbox that doesn't belong to you? No problem. Want to play a burn deck with 20 Black Lotus cards for mana? Create it on deckbox and playmat will let you do that instantly. Playmat shuffles, puts the cards on the table and lets you have at it.

Once this base application is in place, it can become something bigger and better and I'd like to hear your ideas on what that could be.