Topic: Do white boarders effect the price of a card?

I have a few cards that have white borders from some sets that only show them as having black borders. I cannot find the value of these cards.   Everywhere I look it shows the value of the black bordered card from the same set, just nothing with a white border.

Here are a few examples

Erhnam Djinn  (Arabian Knights)
Nicol Bolas (Chronicles)

Thanks for the help.

Tradelist       Wishlist       Inventory

Re: Do white boarders effect the price of a card?

Even among black-bordered cards, the oldest versions, being rarer than recent releases, typically demand a higher price. Most players do not want white-bordered cards because they prefer the originals, want only black-bordered cards in their decks, or both.  That means there is less demand for them, and that's why they command lower prices on the resale market.

The entire Chronicles release consisted of reprints of the preceding editions, so (per their policy at the time) WoTC released them as white-bordered cards.

There are likely numerous reasons why you are having trouble finding online locations with white-borded art, or specific references to Chronicles.  First, many places just standardize on images black-borded versions of a card (based on whatever API they are using with whatever site they partner with).  That's the case at TCGplayer when you select the Chronicles icon (see the next point). They show a black-bordered card to show the image.  The original and the Chronicles editions have the same artwork, other than the border. 

Another reason is that there is no set-specific symbol for Chronicles--each card appeared with its original set symbol. The one used at TCGPlayer.com was never printed on any card--it is just there to help designate the edition.

Thus, if looking at Erhnam Djin, you'll see that if you compare the Chronicles version (the reprint) to the original version (Arabian Knights), you'll notice the symbols printed on the cards are the same but the Chronicles version is worth only $0.30 while the Arabian Knights version is worth over $19.00.

Nicol Bolas was reprinted in Chronicles.  The original printing was Legends (note the same set symbol).

If you want a little more history on the borders, you may check out this link: http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A … aily/af159.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Fixed spelling, clarified text.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.