Topic: Green/White Aggro Deck

I understand that this is the best place to come for things such as feedback on decks that are built. This is by no means a conclusive end to the deck, although I did go 1-3 at the most recent FNM for the first time ever with this deck. It does need refining, and I was thinking that you might all have something to say.

I am certainly looking for at least 1 more collective blessing simply to have the 7/7 mana dorks running around. It seems hilarious to me.

The idea of the deck is to ramp to the armada wurm as fast as possible, and get to that stage through the use of roaring primadox and elvish visionary meaning that in theory I can be have 3 or 4 draws in a single turn, meaning that the deck is thinned out fast, and therefore be able to throw down the big creatures such as the armada wurm fast. Temple Garden and Sunpetal Grove along with Arbor Elf and Avacyn's Pilgrim mean that it is hard to be mana screwed at any stage.

I have fishbowled the deck a number of times, and each time have had no issue with getting the mana out and onto the field, although a couple of hands needed mulliganing.

http://deckbox.org/sets/291628

Re: Green/White Aggro Deck

My thinking thus far is to put in something like Rancor to allow some of the smaller creatures to suddenly become combat monstors, particularly when or if they are chump blocked at some stage and I need to power through. I had considered Growing Ranks, but because the deck does not create an awful lot of tokens, it seems like a slightly redundant card.

You don't always pull the cards you want, so I'd be cautious running only one or two of anything  If running Collective Blessing, you'll want at least two. They stack.

If you run up against aggro (goblins have been making regular appearances at my LGS), will you be okay either eating the damage or using your mana producers as blockers? If not, you should have Fog, if not in your main deck, at least in your sideboard.

Blue-White control is pretty popular right now (at least in my area), so you need to be ready for that as well.

To help ensure that your Armada Wurm ends up in your hand, consider working in Mwonvuli Beast Tracker.  Upon entering the battlefield, you basically tutor that Wurm right into your hand.

I do like Rancor, especially since it bounces back to your hand. Not sure what to cut for it, though. Possibly two land (since your mana-producing creatures would be available).

I like the splash or white so you can run Oblivion Ring, but I don't like Geist-Honored Monk in this deck.  See if you can get your hands on some Champion of Lambholt.  It gets bigger every time another creature enters the battlefield, and stays that way even if they leave (unlike Geist-Honored Monk).  It's other ability really tips the balance in favor of your aggro: "Creatures with power less than Champion of Lambholt's power can't block creatures you control." Once your Champion is at 2/2, none of your creatures can be chump-blocked by 1/1 tokens.  Once it gets to 4/4 or above, most opponents will have limited options for blocking your attacks.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

So I just wanted to add a few thoughts (HikingStick has hit on some pretty good ones already).

First, I'd be weary of the Roaring Primadox combos.  They look good on paper, but it's so easy for them to take out your Elvish Visionary and then you're left returning the primadox back to your hand.  When you get them to work they can be great, but that's not the common outcome in my experence.

Second, I would say you should definitely run 3-4x Loxodon Smiter in here.  They're only like $2-3 per and would give you a potentially HUGE T2 play if you hit a mana dork on T1.  They're also convenient targets for the Rancors as a T3 6/4 trample is always good fun.

Third, I'd advise having 3-4x Rootborn Defenses in the SB to protect against the Supreme Verdict heavy control decks out there.

Fourth, what's your strategy for combating flyers?  Obviously Restoration Angels would be ideal, but I wouldn't tell someone to go pick up $10 cards for FNMs.  But perhaps you could find some flyers that fit into your curve or at least a way to deal with them (I'm thinking Silklash Spider).

Fifth, and this is a way to improve your drawing without Elvish Visionary, look into Triumph of Ferocity odds are if you have a smiter, 'tusk, or the wurms on the field, you're drawing cards from it.  You can imagine a T2 Smiter leads to a T3 Triumph and you're already replenishing your hand.

Thus, I would suggest the following changes:

-1 Elvish Visionary
-2 Roaring Primadox (or at least -1)
-2 Acidic Slime (move them to SB in case enchantments or artifacts are a pain)
-2 Geist Honored Monk
-1 Forest
-1 Plains (with 8 mana dorks and 4 Farseeks, you can run a lower count)

+4 Loxodon Smiter
+2 Rancor
+3 Triumph of Ferocity

Then add Plummet or something like that to your SB for flyers and Rootborn Defenses for board wipes.

Anyway, I hope some of this has been useful.  Good luck!

I have posted a slightly amended deck of this one.

My reasons for running something like a Geist Honored Monk were so that there were chump blockers that could at least slow down a flying deck. It isn't ideal I am aware, but it is better than nothing. I have recently also considered inserting a Death's Presence into the deck to further boost any creatures that survive when the others die. Getting my hands on a Champion of Lambholt would be incredible. I don't own one, and don't know anyone who does.

When I was at the local FNM last week, I had no issue maintaining the creatures on the field despite there being at least two aggro decks that I faced against. Therefore I am fairly confident that I can look after the Primadox combo for at least long enough that it gets going.

Wanted for the deck therefore:

2 Champion of Lambholt
1 Collective Blessing
1 Rancor