Topic: [modern][opinions] Rushing the Poison

So after playing at the GTC pre-releases all weekend, it became frighteningly apparent to me that out of the new mechanics, bloodrush is the most useful (and has the most promise for constructed play).  I'm currently working on a build for standard, but given that my LGS has decided to hold at least one modern FNM per month (there went one of my standard outlets), I should give building a modern deck a go that would capitalize on bloodrush and, wouldn't ya know, infect is still a thing in modern - and it can be abused when paired with bloodrush, as bloodrush cannot be countered.

Thus, here's my first crack at this:  http://deckbox.org/sets/303121

What I'm looking for is someone who's familiar with modern who can tell me what I would realistically run into.  There were numerous mentions of people running "Death and Taxes" and a few other stereotypical builds but, as I took a 15 year sabbatical from the game from 1997-2012, I'm just not up to speed with the combos and threats that are available in modern.

With this build I see a LOT of easy, but devastating plays.

T1: Glistener Elf
T2: Madcap Skills/Giant Growth/Bloodrush either Slaughterhorn or Ghor-Clan Rampager/or, best case scenario, Giant Growth and Assault Strobe
(note that any of these plays will result in somewhere between 4 and 8 poison counters)
T3: Alpha Authority (when paired with Madcap, it's unblockable and hexproof)/Insert bloodrush or pump spell here - attack for the win.

Obviously that's the ideal play and I certainly can see where someone could end up burning or unsummoning the elf, but I'm not really sure how common those plays are in modern.  Note that for good or bad, it appears as though most of the players at my LGS go with the established builds rather than thinking up new ones on their own ( sad ), so with any luck that should help with the critiques.

Thoughts?

Re: [modern][opinions] Rushing the Poison

The way most modern infect decks play go something like this:

T1: Noble Hierarch or Glistener Elf
T2: Infect creature
T3: Cast some combination of Might of Old Krosa, Groundswell, Rancor, Apostle's Blessing, Vines of Vastwood and Mutagenic Growth, swing for 10 poison at once.

A good infect player will mulligan aggressively to get one of these hands. The bloodrush option exists, but to be honest is probably slower and less reliable than existing builds. You're already running blue, green and black for the infect creatures and tricks, and adding red for bloodrush and Assault Strobe means you have to hit just the right land drops. If you cut either blue or black, what happens when you don't get one of your infect creatures out? In general, if you play an infect creature, it will be bolted/unsummoned/exiled almost immediately, which means you may not even want to run it out on Turn 1. On turn 2 you can put it out and have Vines as protection, but that means you need to deal all 10 in a single strike. Countering combat tricks is a losing strategy in this matchup, so the uncounterability of Bloodrush doesn't help as much as you might think.

Death & Taxes gets played quite a bit online, but I've never seen it in person and wouldn't call it a "stereotypical" build. Here's the most common decks that you'll realistically run into:
- Jund (BRG good stuff)
- UWR Midrange
- Splinter Twin combo
- Storm (just had a key component banned so this may become less popular)
- Birthing Pod, either with Kiki-Jiki or Melira to infinite combo
- GW Hatebears
- Scapeshift
- Tron

Other builds:
- Death & Taxes
- Zoo
- Gifts Ungiven/Reanimator
- Infect
- UW or UWR Cryptic Control

If you're looking for a list to use Bloodrush in, look at Living End. It's a combo deck that uses lots of huge cycling creatures to fill the graveyard quickly, then casts a Cascade spell to cast Living End for free, wrathing your opponent's board and bringing your whole army in. It's already in Jund colours anyways, and it's a good way to start re-filling the graveyard for the next Living End if you need one.

Thanks for the heads up.  It's a totally new format for me to even think about running into, but I'll dig into the decklists you just suggested and will see what I can figure out.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Thanks for the heads up.  It's a totally new format for me to even think about running into, but I'll dig into the decklists you just suggested and will see what I can figure out.

It's a lot of fun! I like it way more than Standard right now. The big advantage of decks like Death & Taxes or Merfolk is that they are mono-coloured, so if you're on a tight budget you don't need to pick up fetchlands or anything. If you like the format you'll probably want to pick up fetchlands anyways, though, as they go in literally every single deck. Even the burn decks in modern run black.

Well I'm not sure how your meta looks but I can say with 100% certainty you should never play either shock or searing spear in Modern, ever, Lightning bolt is 100% better than either of these cards

My thought is that if you want to try to play Bloodrush with infect, you should go all in, use blood rushers with Thalia, and cut instant/sorcery pump, the problem would be color fixing which tends to just happen in Modern, people have their 100$ playsets of Fetchlands most of the time, I'm not sure how competitive Modern is there tho.

If people are playing Fetchlands your best bet to keep up with the speed would be to go Mono-Green, Run Glistener Elf, (Probably have to trade for a playset of Inkmoth Nexus) Blight Mamba, Ichorclaw Myr and the best pump spells in green, Might of Old Krosa, Groundswell, Vines of Vastwood, Mutagenic Growth, ECT and Wild Defiance, Apostle's Blessing is the BEST unblockability spell for Green

I agree that people using typical archtypes is QUITE frustrating especially given the fact that all of the staple cards in Modern are extremely expensive, however the banning of Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song should shake some stuff up. But the fact that Fetchlands are legal makes the format really fast no matter what, so there are only certain decks that can survive, because you'll be dead if you stumble on mana even a little.

On the Lightning Bolt front, thanks for the heads up.  I have a ton of them from my old Revised playing days and just assumed they stopped reprinting them long before the start of the blocks covered by modern.

I can see the definite appeal of Vines of Vastwood to provide cover from removal and potentially removal for the elves and myrs.  Groundswell also seems like a better Giant Growth essentially every time, so another good call.

I'm actually leaning toward either removing Wild Defiance outright or dropping it down to a 1x as I can see where it'd be useful in some circumstances, but there are two issues - 1) It would essentially be without any benefit on my T3 play, when, to be honest, I hope to be finishing them off; and 2) Bloodrush wouldn't trigger it, which definitely sucks.  Sure it protects against some burn, but I'm thinking that just some regular run of the mill Rancors might be more effective to provide the trample damage.

From what I observed during my fact-finding expedition this past FNM (it was modern), games were lasting quite a few turns despite people running fetches (I can only think of two decks I saw that weren't running them, one being a TRON build and the other being some sort of mono-white thing).  In either event, if I can pull T3 kills consistently, I would imagine I'll be in pretty good shape.

It sounds like you're pretty new to the format, so you definitely want to start by looking at what sets are legal and what cards are banned (all of which is here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/resour … /sfrmodern).

Wild Defiance was popular when infect decks were being run in Standard, as they let you turn free Phyrexian mana spells into pump spells (you could cast Mutagenic Growth, Dismember and Apostle's Blessing on your own guy to make him lethal without spending any mana). In Modern, the pump spells are good enough, and as you point out it's pretty bad to cast on turn 3 instead of attacking. Wild Defiance is a "win-more" card; if you play it and are able to win, you probably would have won without it.

Games can last a long time, which is a problem for a "glass cannon" build like Infect; if you haven't killed your opponent by turn 4 or 5, you're in a lot of trouble. Fetches don't really speed up the format, but they do make it trivially easy to run 3-4 colour decks. Tron can't afford them because they already have 12 slots devoted to their namesake lands. The mono-white thing you saw may have been Soul Sisters, which doesn't run fetchlands because (a) it's mono-white, and (b) the deck works by running cards that synergize with life-gain, and the damage from fetchlands can be relevant.

Last edited by LootPinata (2013-01-28 19:27:07)