Topic: Signed Cards, Summer Magic and Alternate 4th Ed.

So I have a few questions that hopefully some collectors out there might be able to shed some light on. 

1.  How do you value signed cards?  I can easily see that a common card or low value rare that is signed by the artist would command a premium price.  But, what about high value legacy and vintage staples?  I have heard that the signature, just by the fact that it was not part of the original card, is viewed as a "Blemish" or as some type of "Damage" and therefore reduces the value of an otherwise NM card.  Is there any general consensus on this, such as a % increase or decrease, or is it more of a matter of Value in the eyes of the beholder?

2.  Summer Magic - What exactly is it in terms of language / edition / distribution.  How do you identify cards as being from the Summer Magic set as compared to the other regular editions. 

3.  Alternate 4th edition - Basically the same question as above.  How do you identify the Alternate Edition cards form the regular 4th Edition set?

Thank you in advance to everyone that might have some input on any of these topics.  And if you only have info on one topic that's fine too. 

Happy Gaming  =)

Re: Signed Cards, Summer Magic and Alternate 4th Ed.

TKNODIABLOMTG wrote:

So I have a few questions that hopefully some collectors out there might be able to shed some light on. 

1.  How do you value signed cards?  I can easily see that a common card or low value rare that is signed by the artist would command a premium price.  But, what about high value legacy and vintage staples?  I have heard that the signature, just by the fact that it was not part of the original card, is viewed as a "Blemish" or as some type of "Damage" and therefore reduces the value of an otherwise NM card.  Is there any general consensus on this, such as a % increase or decrease, or is it more of a matter of Value in the eyes of the beholder?

In a lot of cases a signature does not change the value of a card.  Some artists are difficult to contact or generally don't sign cards, and those cards will get a large premium (e.g. Una Fricker or Gary Leach).  Some people don't like signed cards and will say that it damages the card.  Fine, don't deal with those people.  There are enough people that like signed cards that you can get at least full value out of any signed card, and possibly a premium.

TKNODIABLOMTG wrote:

2.  Summer Magic - What exactly is it in terms of language / edition / distribution.  How do you identify cards as being from the Summer Magic set as compared to the other regular editions.

Summer edition was never officially released.  The product was supposed to be destroyed, but a very limited quantity was released in the UK and Texas.  You can identify Summer cards by seeing "Illus. c. 1994 <artist>" all on one line at the bottom of the card.  This was supposed to be a fixed version of Revised, but it had enough errors of its own that it was never released.  It is pretty much not worth checking to see if you have Summer cards.  You won't have any.

TKNODIABLOMTG wrote:

3.  Alternate 4th edition - Basically the same question as above.  How do you identify the Alternate Edition cards form the regular 4th Edition set?

Alt. 4th was produced as an attempt to use a new printer, the US Playing Card Company, due to Carta Mundi not being able to keep up with demand for Magic.  Eventually this need was eliminated when Carta Mundi opened up a new plant in Tennessee.  There were several issues with the cards.  The feel of the cards was different due to a different coating, the cards showed wear much more quickly due to use, and there are subtle differences with the back of the card.    You can see some discussion of the differences here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v … php?t=7321

Look for the post by AzureWinter toward the bottom of the page for a helpful image.