Topic: Best Gaming Sleeves?

Hey everybody,

I've tried a few different gaming sleeves (UltraPro, DragonShield) and haven't quite settled on one that is durable, you can shuffle with and doesn't come out of the box so slick they cards fall all over the floor.

What gaming sleeves do you use, and why?

Thanks a bunch!

Traders a plenty for those interested : http://deckbox.org/users/jestorx/trades

Re: Best Gaming Sleeves?

I use KMC Matte they are awesome they don't stick together but don't slide all over the place they are the easiest to shuffle and I have enjoyed using them. They are the only sleeves that I recommend. I've used Ultra-Pro and Dragon Shields the pros fall apart easy and the Dragon shields get really dirty. I haven't had a problem with my Kmc also I double sleeve with KMC perfect fits.

Ive slowly buying up all the Black Ultra Pro Matted sleeves to use for my Cube and EDH decks. While not all foils look good in them because of the "foggy" case, they have so far been the most durable and smoothest sleeves Ive used. I think Ive maybe broken like 5-6 out of some 700 sleeves I use pretty heavily. They also dont slide around alot when shuffling when they are newly sleeved as well. So far the only complaint I have is that sometimes the whole pack of sleeves are cut wider even tho they are the exact same and appropriately marked.

I've used them all and have only been buying kmc for the last year. Love them.

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

im with helio52
that ultrapro pro matted are the best

Having tried all three major lines, I really like the KMCs and will likely start using them exclusively. Good quality, sharp edges for easy shuffling, durable, and extremely consistent colouring/cuts between packages, which is nice if you end up sleeving a lot of decks like I do.

KMC's and the ultra matte's are both good. I prefer KMC's though, as the ultrapro matte's split much more often.

I split three of them in our modern PTQ a few weeks ago :\
(10 rounds)

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

Vincentarasin wrote:

KMC's and the ultra matte's are both good. I prefer KMC's though, as the ultrapro matte's split much more often.

(10 rounds)

Yeah and if you get a bad batch like I did, you'll split a lot more. I bought 2x 80-packs for an EDH deck. After only 5 days of play 20 were already split due to the adhesive not sticking properly and the clear plastic splitting off of the backing. All said, 4 months later I have 100 on an EDh deck and about 10 left not in use out of 160 sleeves.

UnstableFlux wrote:
Vincentarasin wrote:

(10 rounds)

Yeah and if you get a bad batch like I did, you'll split a lot more. I bought 2x 80-packs for an EDH deck. After only 5 days of play 20 were already split due to the adhesive not sticking properly and the clear plastic splitting off of the backing. All said, 4 months later I have 100 on an EDh deck and about 10 left not in use out of 160 sleeves.

Does not surprise me man. So far KMC's have done me well. I can't stand 75% of the sleeves out there that get sticky super fast. I'd prefer them slick like glass, as I am use to handling poker cards, as opposed to sticky.

I have sub-60 sleeve sets that I take to drafts / pre-releases until they die. I'm usually one of like 2 people in the draft that sleeves their cards. But I often pull a value out of the draft, so... Yeah I'm gonna sleeve that boros reckoner. Or for the second run of the GTC pre-release... Reckoner, Foil Aurelia's fury, Foil legion loyalist, warleader, spark trooper, frontline medic.

Vincentarasin wrote:
UnstableFlux wrote:
Vincentarasin wrote:

(10 rounds)

Does not surprise me man. So far KMC's have done me well. I can't stand 75% of the sleeves out there that get sticky super fast. I'd prefer them slick like glass, as I am use to handling poker cards, as opposed to sticky.

I have sub-60 sleeve sets that I take to drafts / pre-releases until they die. I'm usually one of like 2 people in the draft that sleeves their cards. But I often pull a value out of the draft, so... Yeah I'm gonna sleeve that boros reckoner. Or for the second run of the GTC pre-release... Reckoner, Foil Aurelia's fury, Foil legion loyalist, warleader, spark trooper, frontline medic.

Man, I hate you right now.  Best thing I pulled from prerelease was a Frontline Medic.  Everything else was bulk rares sad

On the actual topic, these comments have gotten me interested in KMC sleeves.  What's the price point difference between them and the black matte Ultra Pros (what I have been using).

You can get KMCs for $6ish on amazon. My LGS sells them for $8 so I just get them there

Amazon is beautiful, I didn't know that. Thanks! I was just putting together an order for them smile

@Nevpicasso - I wish I had that kind of luck in drafts. I went 4-0 at the pre-release with that deck hands down, my LGS decided to do a top 8 5$ entry with our pre-release decks, with 2 fp's as the prize. Me and the final guy (who was running dimir mill) drew out undefeated at 6-0.

KMC Matte is by far the best.

Thanks everyone!

I've used the UltraPro matte and I did really like them (until they started splitting) so I'm going to try out the KMC. Looks like ebay has them for about $7/80 pack + shipping, that's pretty competitive with the UltraPros.

I get mine from Goods-Seller on eBay, good prices. Alternatively face a face sells them at good prices for us in Canada.

Might consider checking amazon smile

Amazon.ca is awful and .com sellers don't ship to Canada for reasonable prices.

Massdrop looks like they will be selling sleeves soon, KMC Matte Reds judging from voting results so far.

https://www.massdrop.com/vote/94

My Tradelist          My Wishlist
Work hard, play harder, rest easy.

I vote for KMC Matte too.. Remember it's not just KMC, but KMC Matte.

Helios52 wrote:

Ive slowly buying up all the Black Ultra Pro Matted sleeves to use for my Cube and EDH decks. While not all foils look good in them because of the "foggy" case, they have so far been the most durable and smoothest sleeves Ive used. I think Ive maybe broken like 5-6 out of some 700 sleeves I use pretty heavily. They also dont slide around alot when shuffling when they are newly sleeved as well. So far the only complaint I have is that sometimes the whole pack of sleeves are cut wider even tho they are the exact same and appropriately marked.

I did the same thing for my cube and I had the same problem when I would buy the pack of 50.  I bought the pack of 100 and the sleeves were very clear so the foils in my cube look much better.

UnstableFlux wrote:

You can get KMCs for $6ish on amazon. My LGS sells them for $8 so I just get them there

Seems like everything on amazon at the moment is over $9 with shipping which is actually more expensive than I can get them at my LGS.  Best on ebay is 8.29 with shipping right now so $8 seems pretty good.

I use Ultra-pro Matte Red sleeves, some can split occasionally but it's so cheap to order them from Potomac Distribution that it isn't a problem. They shuffle really well and they look nice. KMC Mattes are cool too, but they're really expensive and must be replaced all the time, they get way too dirty and the corners bend so much.

Check out this Chas Andres article for a fairly comprehensive look at different sleeves strengths and weaknesses. (He talks about binders too.)

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/stan … rends.html

Thanks. This is good information for me, a noob. wink Going with KMC Matte.