Topic: Modern - Naya Torment (feedback wanted)

With all the life-gain decks, I thought I'd just nip that in the butt.
http://deckbox.org/sets/328441

I want the focus to be Everlasting Torment which turns all damage to creatures into -1/-1 counters. Then play around that with creatures that don't care about counters  (Hence the creature selection).
Any suggestions on how to make this more solid? I want to tutor for the Everlasting Torment, hence the Idyllic Tutors cards and Faithless Lootings. The Rancors help too.

Some notes I've made about Everlasting Torment:
This makes the following mechanics dead: Regeneration, Damage Prevention, Indestructible, Lifelink, Deathtouch.
Trample still goes over someone's creature even with Wither in effect.
Undying still works.
My creatures are still subject to -x/-x spells like tragic slip and dismember.
Does anyone know if this ends up canceling out Infect?
What about First/Double Strike?

Last edited by corvair64 (2013-02-28 07:21:32)

Shahrazad - Yo Dawg! We know how much you like playing MTG, so we put a game of MTG in your game of MTG!

Re: Modern - Naya Torment (feedback wanted)

Ok well first of all wither does not effect deathtouch, the damage is dealt in -1/-1 counters but is still damage and so deathtouch still applies. Wither does not interact with how your opponent is dealt damage therefore Infect basically just means that they deal damage to players in poison counters. First Strike/Double Strike act in the exact same way but the damage is dealt in -1/-1 counters. This means that if you have a 2/1 First Striker and they've got a 1/100 wall and they block your creature their wall becomes a -1/98 and does not kill your creature.

Ok, now what does your Meta-Game look like? Are you looking to play this at a tournament? FNM? Casual with Friends? If you're hoping to beat lifegain (Likely Soul Sisters) this is not the way to go, lifegain is usually white, often mono-white and nothing has more enchantment removal than White.

You are also missing out on the best creature with Wither, Necroskitter, it may not be in your colors, but it's certainly the best option, also just in general black is your best option, Black Sun's Zenith with a Necroskitter and Melira means you take everything your opponents control and nothing you control get hurt.

I can be alot more helpful with more information

Thank you for the feedback...
First, it's for the DragonMaze PTQ coming up soon. I'm trying to find something not too expensive... I already have most of the lands (and can borrow what I don't have).

I originally was going to do BGR, but couldn't get torment out consistently, so I swapped out B for W for Idyllic Tutor. Perhaps it's better to get rid of R and have BGW. This would allow for Necroskitter and Black Sun's Zenith while still tutoring for Everlasting Torment. I lose Faithless Looting and Naya Charm (which was to get back a torment, should it have been destroyed, but BG offer plenty of ways to implement these.
Let me make some changes this evening and I'll post what it looks like as BGW... I didn't have the cash to invest in multiple Huntmaster of the Fells anyway. roll

Here's BGW Torment... thoughts?
http://deckbox.org/sets/328906/
Mana base needs work, as does the sideboard, but otherwise... I almost feel the need to add in Immortal Servitude since I have so many 3 drops.

Last edited by corvair64 (2013-02-28 21:44:37)

Shahrazad - Yo Dawg! We know how much you like playing MTG, so we put a game of MTG in your game of MTG!

If you're worried about recurring your Torments, you're better off with Eternal Witness, it gives you a decent body and can get back anything you need.

I'm not going to lie, modern is far from a budget format, the only moderatly inexpensive competitive deck I've seen is mono-red burn and even that sometimes uses fetchlands just to thin out the deck of lands, I'm sure the deck will be fun to play but at a PTQ you're likely to face people who can deal infinite damage/gain infinite life on T3 and other shenanigans like that, regardless it will be a fun experience but I'd suggest testing on Cockatrice first just so you have an idea of what's coming, I usually title mine "Modern Homebrew" when I'm playing a deck based on a combo.

Just my 2 cents, I hope I didn't sound mean or depressing sad I do think you'll have a great time either way!