Topic: W: Bant Merfolk edh commander (need ideas, new to EDH)

Hey guys I know these trades are normally more straight forward but I only have one EDH deck to my name and it is still getting there. So this is my second go using cards I have put aside for it. What is a good bant colored card that can work well with Merfolk?

Thanks for your time!

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

Re: W: Bant Merfolk edh commander (need ideas, new to EDH)

Here you go smile

Last edited by UnstableFlux (2013-03-05 18:50:53)

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

Here are all of your possible Bant Commanders:

Angus Mackenzie
Arcades Sabboth
Jenara, Asura of War
Phelddagrif
Rafiq of the Many
Ragnar
Rubinia Soulsinger
Treva, the Renewer

Rubinia or Treva seem like the best fits?

I would say either Angus Mackenzie or Ragnar just cause they are cheap and can interact with your other Merfolk. Sadly there isnt  a Bant Merfolk Legend to do like a tribal thing.

If I were doing Merfolk Tribal I think I would probably use Sygg, River Guide because he can give himself or other Merfolk evasion and Protection.

Ragnar might be good to regen your lords and utility guys, Ragiq is always good for Band any deck.  I'm working on a merfolk deck and I'm going to run Prime Speaker Zegana and just drop white so I can draw a ton of cards once I get 6 mana

Here is my Profile, Tradelist, and Wishlist

http://pwp.wizards.com/2300486981/Scorecards/Landscape.png

All of these are great suggestions, thanks a lot guys.

Honestly I was looking at Rafiq simply because...damn, Rafiq, but if I drop green I can run Sygg, I like that guy. I dunno.

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

I guess it really all depends on what type of build your looking for. Typically Rafiq is a better Voltron generals with auras or equipments. Merfolk are kinda control aggro ish and I don't think you get a benefit with running Rafiq and only 1 merfolk getting double strike. I think you'd be better of using either sygg or angus or Ragnar bc atleast when then you have a general that will better interact with the creatures in the deck.

Yeah I guess that makes sense, and I have Sygg already. I like his ability because as long as I keep two mana open I can keep at least one important creature going strong. And I did indeed mean to go with aggro control.

Thanks for the advice folks, guess the Prime Speaker will have to sit this one out.

Sygg will be a good one for merfolk.

Plus white gets you all the fun cards tongue

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

I am more of a Green Blue man (SIMIC!!!!) Myself, but I have found white to be most useful, guess I will just have to shed some skin and get out of my comfort zone.

If you are more a green blue guy then go that route. I think you will have to cut a color either way, if you want to go with a fully thematic deck. But let's be real, green is WAY more powerful than white. White gives you board wipes, but green gives you RAMP. I personally would use Prime speaker as your commander and then just keep an eye open for white cards if you want to expand later.

I collect funny, epic, or unique flavor texts (foil if applicable)
Looking to purchase one player rewards and one judge foil Wasteland.
Tradelist | Wishist

But then I can't use cards like Sygg that really give me the boost I need to make the deck a teir above. I honestly was thinking of using Stoic Angel as a commander for the stall, then it also gives me the bant I need. As she stalls, I use more of my control stuff and then let her die or just pummel for the 21, until I can get the merfolk I need out.

Last edited by AmarusCameron (2013-03-05 20:06:43)

Stoic angel isn't legendary though, so you can't use her unfortunately. I have seen Jenara used to great effect in those colors.

Tradelist | Wishist

Ah, didn't know they had to be legendary. Like I said above, new to EDH.

Might have to check Jenara out...what I am really looking for is a color enabler for my deck. The deck can be themed with an odd commander, I don't really care. I just need Green, Blue, White

Yeah, rafiq is also a fine commander. Someone above linked all the bant possibilities. Jenara is a nice mana sink so that you can leave up counter spell mana or whatever and then just dump it all into her instead. Rafiq is quite a power-house but he is also pretty threatening. He often threatens turn 5 or 6 kills, so if you JUST want the colors he might not be the best choice.

Good luck!

Tradelist | Wishist