Topic: N00b Alert - Revised Edition 1st ever Deck? Ideas/Help?

Hi,

I'm a n00b for sure. Nephew plays and taught me over a few games this easter and I knew i had some cards in my basement from years ago that I never used. they are 99% revised edition. I'm studying now for the last week or so on how to play, how to deck build, etc, etc. Playing with iphone apps too and found this site and their app.

Anyway, ive got an over excited n00b issue and ive selected a deck which ended up being 80 cards haha. I tried to remove some but just couldnt, I just want to try it but I know it should be closer to 60.

Anyone want to look at my inventory (only a few hundred cards) and propose a deck? I like doing damage so maybe my request for a 1st deck out of my collection would be swamps and mountains based?

I'll update my 1st ever deck with little to no knowledge of the game soon, the 80 card version that is. Then reply again and let people give soem critical or laughing feedback to enlighten me more.

inventory - http://deckbox.org/sets/355149

Last edited by Buhtwipe (2013-04-06 16:16:55)

Re: N00b Alert - Revised Edition 1st ever Deck? Ideas/Help?

LOL here it is..

http://deckbox.org/sets/355330

My first quick summary look at it.. Looks like about 8 too many creatures, too many instants, a few too many sorcery?

ok, first things first. playing 4 color decks is very difficult to do without a way to produce multiple colors at the same time (dual lands or artifacts that can produce more than 1 color). Looking at your land numbers and spell cost, you have 2 Islands and 1 Forest. With only 3 spells for green (Channel and Fastbond) and 1 forest in the deck, Channel will never be able to be played. I would pull all 3 cards. You also have 2 blue spells (Counterspell and Control Magic) with 2 Islands in the deck. The rarity of you playing both islands AND a blue spell is very rare in this combination. I would pull those 4 as well.

Now you are down to 77 cards. Let's consolidate your Red and Black.

You have chosen 29 Red Spells and 15 Black spells. Also 4 Artifacts. 48 Spells for 26 lands.

Your black spells are useful and can mess with an opponent. Only one I would think about is paralyze. It is best played early game to be most effective. Mid game against HUGE creatures would be a slight deterrence but not much. That is probably the only black card I would remove. That will take you down to 14 Black cards.

Of the 6 artifacts, Winter Orb slows down a game REALLY bad. I like it. Sol Ring is always useful. Fountain of Youth is an old favorite of mine. Glasses of Urza is the only one I would think about pulling AFTER you get more comfortable with the game and have seen a LOT of other cards. This one will let you see another players hand so you can learn OTHER PEOPLE's cards and might get more ideas about it. Juggernaut is a powerhouse even though you must attack with it every turn. Obsianus Golem is a little high for this deck at 6 mana cost. You won't get him out til mid to late game. This one I would pull.

Now to Red....

Red Elemental Blast are best for a sideboard until you KNOW an opponent is playing BLUE. If they are playing say White/Green... Those 2 cards are taking up space and will hurt you for not being able to be played.  Same with Flashfires. It only targets Plains. Better sideboard card than in a main deck. Tunnel is not going to be as effective as you would like it to be. That one should be pulled completely. I would also pull out 1 Hill Giant. For 4 cost, it is a 3/3. Slightly expensive in today's sets.

That will put you down to UNDER 70 cards.

If you do not get any dual lands, You will need 14 Mountains and 8 Swamps.

This will get you to 65 cards.

mrturk1001,

Appreciate the detailed feedback and I'm soaking in your additional knowledge. Thanks!

I do have a question, how did you come up with the land ounts? I read some stuff on wizards.com to do it in the first try and have learned so far that a 2:1 (lands:total cost of deck color) ratio is good to aim for in general. Is this true?

thanks again!

to do individual color count, I look at red vs black. you have about 24 red and 14 black. Minimum should be 12 to 7 in lands. That is 19. you also have 5 arts. those could be either. so 2 red (most of the deck) and 1 black to even it out.

A cursory glance also showed you have 2 Demonic Tutors in the deck.  If you're playing casual it should be okay, but the card is restricted in Vintage.  I know my casual group keeps their decks legal for Vintage (with the occasional exception of an occasional Ashnod's Coupon thrown in for fun).  If they're okay with you running a deck that wouldn't be legal in any format, there shouldn't be an issue there, but I'd make sure before you play it.

mrturk,

thanks again. Seem's 2:1 per pool is what the gurus recommend too. wink I made a revised version following your recommendations. I suppose i should put more into my sidebar than the two you recommended moving to it..

Do people ever put a completely different color in their sidebar to react to what they discover playing friends?

I'm guessing there are a lot of rematches with some sidebar tweaks in casual gaming, but how does a sidebar help in a tournament.

wizard666,

thank you too. How does one identify whether or not the deck meets vintage rules, where are the vintage rules? I suppose i can find this answer myself and maybe on wizards.com.. this site, for example, states i have a complete vintage deck. Does that mean anything legality wise regarding the deck?

Buhtwipe wrote:

I suppose i should put more into my sidebar than the two you recommended moving to it..

Do people ever put a completely different color in their sidebar to react to what they discover playing friends?

I'm guessing there are a lot of rematches with some sidebar tweaks in casual gaming, but how does a sidebar help in a tournament.

How does one identify whether or not the deck meets vintage rules, where are the vintage rules? I suppose i can find this answer myself and maybe on wizards.com.. this site, for example, states i have a complete vintage deck. Does that mean anything legality wise regarding the deck?

Banned/Restricted Lists for ALL game formats

This link will let you know about cards being restricted and banned. What cards are legal in what formats (like standard and modern).

as far as your first 2 questions, A sideboard is used to make substitutes into a deck. Try not to put cards that would NOT work in your deck. If you are running a black and red deck, adding white, blue, or green will not help your deck. Avoid doing this.

A sideboard will help out in a tournament format in the following ways...
1)Allows you to make a substitute of cards that will NOT work against certain decks for cards that can work(terrors will not work against a black deck, substitute these for something that can like fireball or disintegrate).
2) Gives you options against a variety of decks and players (ie if 2 players are using enchantments, no sense in having enchantment removers in the main deck.)

There are other reasons, but these are the best 2 I can come up with at the moment.

Thank you again for your expertise.