Topic: feature request: multiple inventories

can we setup multiple inventories? 2+ would be nice.

Re: feature request: multiple inventories

Would you mind posting your reasoning for two inventories? I'm curious as to the need.  Might there be some other way of handling separate portions of a collection, like a "collections" field, that would let you specify specific cards to display in a subset (e.g., all my foils, dual lands)?

EDIT: Punctuation.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Trading vs personal purposes.

Inventory 1 - Trading Lot 1
A separate inventory from the wishlist or trade list. Quickly erasable would be helpful too. (i noticed on inventories that it is not so easy to wipe all cards but in this use case it would be nice, like erasing a deck even). This lot is tracked separately to make sure value is obtained from what is in it versus original trades or costs.

Inventory 2 - Trading Lot 2
Same thins as #1 but a different lot.

Inventory 3 - Trading Lot 3.
Same thing as #1 but a different lot (e.g. maybe selling a friends lot here, dont want to mix with personal stuff)

Inventory 4 - Personal Lot
Used to personal set that is actively being used and no intentions to sell or manage separately.

Buhtwipe wrote:

A separate inventory from the wishlist or trade list. Quickly erasable would be helpful too. (i noticed on inventories that it is not so easy to wipe all cards but in this use case it would be nice, like erasing a deck even). This lot is tracked separately to make sure value is obtained from what is in it versus original trades or costs.

Same thing as #1 but a different lot (e.g. maybe selling a friends lot here, dont want to mix with personal stuff)

Used to personal set that is actively being used and no intentions to sell or manage separately.

Technically you could achieve this simply by creating "decks" that contain each subset of your inventory.  Then you would be able to easily link to them and control exactly what is in them.  You would have to keep track of changes for each one (as the automated trade inventory removal would not work) and it would likely affect the card counts in your overall inventory; but if you're keeping a keen eye on the "decks," you could easily manage those few cards.

Thank you for the clarification.

If the Deck builder screen allowed you to specify all the details available in inventory, would that work? Each "deck" could represent a collection, and those special decks could be organized in a single folder.

As it stands now, however, that is not an option (no details on card version, etc.).

Would you be using the different online inventories in conjunction with another price tracking system? Deckbox does not keep historical price information at this time.  Each time you view a completed trade, you see the current price. [I just  pulled open some of my oldest trades to confirm this.]

Sebi and company decide on features for upgrades and the like. I'm fairly confident they've seen these before (multiple inventories, details in decks), so it will be up to them to determine what projects provide the best return for the community.

TyWooOneTime wrote:
Buhtwipe wrote:

Technically you could achieve this simply by creating "decks" that contain each subset of your inventory.  Then you would be able to easily link to them and control exactly what is in them.  You would have to keep track of changes for each one (as the automated trade inventory removal would not work) and it would likely affect the card counts in your overall inventory; but if you're keeping a keen eye on the "decks," you could easily manage those few cards.

Yes and I tried this but have you tried making a deck with say, 3000, cards? then loading that deck? decks load differently (sorted by type, etc) than inventories. try loading a 3000 card deck once. wink

HikingStick wrote:

Thank you for the clarification.

If the Deck builder screen allowed you to specify all the details available in inventory, would that work? Each "deck" could represent a collection, and those special decks could be organized in a single folder.

As it stands now, however, that is not an option (no details on card version, etc.).

Would you be using the different online inventories in conjunction with another price tracking system? Deckbox does not keep historical price information at this time.  Each time you view a completed trade, you see the current price. [I just  pulled open some of my oldest trades to confirm this.]

Sebi and company decide on features for upgrades and the like. I'm fairly confident they've seen these before (multiple inventories, details in decks), so it will be up to them to determine what projects provide the best return for the community.

If decks are to be used, would removing the deck's also remove from inventory? That is one of the big goals. If i get rid of 3000 cards then i want to quickly wipe them from my deckbox inventory. Im happy to do this via deck if it is possible but i think decks are just linked to inventories only. Like a reflection of a subset of an inventory. IF you could make that reflection actually remove inventory data with maybe a button that says delete deck and related inventory items, it may work.

Problem with decks, load a 3000-5000 card deck once. Probably will crash Chrome on you. Inventories do not have this problem as they are limited to a subset of cards with a paging mechanism .You would need to implement a paging mechanism for decks then. maybe say, if deck is > 200, implement paging. Or go with my inventory approach/request.

Not worried about price history myself, though i could see it being useful. To me its a lower priority.

OOPS Sorry. I am logged in as mtgstuff, because im working around this inventory issue we speak of in this thread.

mtgstuff = buhtwipe,

if possible, is it easy to change the creator of the mtgstuff to buhtwipe on this thread? if not no big deal. sorry about the confusion.

MTGStuff wrote:

If decks are to be used, would removing the deck's also remove from inventory? That is one of the big goals. If i get rid of 3000 cards then i want to quickly wipe them from my deckbox inventory. Im happy to do this via deck if it is possible but i think decks are just linked to inventories only. Like a reflection of a subset of an inventory. IF you could make that reflection actually remove inventory data with maybe a button that says delete deck and related inventory items, it may work.

Problem with decks, load a 3000-5000 card deck once. Probably will crash Chrome on you. Inventories do not have this problem as they are limited to a subset of cards with a paging mechanism .You would need to implement a paging mechanism for decks then. maybe say, if deck is > 200, implement paging. Or go with my inventory approach/request.

Not worried about price history myself, though i could see it being useful. To me its a lower priority.

So first off, when you add a card to a deck, it does not add it to your inventory.  It will cross-check with your inventory, but will list things that aren't present in your inventory as being missing and then calculate the cost of cards yet to be obtained (probably part of why it would take so long to load).  However, if you're going to be using the trading options on the site here, you have to list the cards in either your inventory or tradelist for it to even allow you to enter them into the trade field - otherwise it just doesn't find the cards.  So to that end, perhaps you could just work things out with your trading partners that they would receive a particular section of the decklist or an entire decklist worth of cards.  It would appear to be them trading for nothing to any outside observer, but a perusal of the chat box would reveal that you're giving a link and whatnot.

I realize this isn't an ideal solution; however, the site is free and you really should encourage your friends to just join on their own if they're looking to be moving a 3000-5000 card collection (I know I certainly wouldn't be THAT charitable to catalog, enter, and then trade something that substantial).  Otherwise, you could easily just create separate accounts for the inventories (which is what you're doing at the moment I assume from the two different SNs for the same person).  You would likely run into issues with not having enough rep to really do trades at that point, but then again, if you can link them to the accounts from your MAIN account that is accumulating rep, then I would imagine you can do something similar to what I suggest above with the decklists, which then leaves you in the exact same place.

Ultimately, I guess I could see the need for "multiple" inventories, but I would argue that the overwhelming majority of the users here would never use the function as they're not looking to move such large collections for friends or anything of that sort.

TyWooOneTime wrote:
MTGStuff wrote:

So first off, when you add a card to a deck, it does not add it to your inventory.  It will cross-check with your inventory, but will list things that aren't present in your inventory as being missing and then calculate the cost of cards yet to be obtained (probably part of why it would take so long to load).  However, if you're going to be using the trading options on the site here, you have to list the cards in either your inventory or tradelist for it to even allow you to enter them into the trade field - otherwise it just doesn't find the cards.  So to that end, perhaps you could just work things out with your trading partners that they would receive a particular section of the decklist or an entire decklist worth of cards.  It would appear to be them trading for nothing to any outside observer, but a perusal of the chat box would reveal that you're giving a link and whatnot.

I realize this isn't an ideal solution; however, the site is free and you really should encourage your friends to just join on their own if they're looking to be moving a 3000-5000 card collection (I know I certainly wouldn't be THAT charitable to catalog, enter, and then trade something that substantial).  Otherwise, you could easily just create separate accounts for the inventories (which is what you're doing at the moment I assume from the two different SNs for the same person).  You would likely run into issues with not having enough rep to really do trades at that point, but then again, if you can link them to the accounts from your MAIN account that is accumulating rep, then I would imagine you can do something similar to what I suggest above with the decklists, which then leaves you in the exact same place.

Ultimately, I guess I could see the need for "multiple" inventories, but I would argue that the overwhelming majority of the users here would never use the function as they're not looking to move such large collections for friends or anything of that sort.

Thank you for your feedback and thoughts. Not all of your users are in for a "rep". Your site is great, I love it, and it provides for useful tools to me within the community of this web site as well as outside of the website (outside of my rep within). It would be hard to draw the attention I suppose of the community at deckbox to cast a vote or chime in but I would think such an approach would be the best to see if this proposal of mine has more merit or less merit (as you implied at the end of your statement).

Do you have polls? Perhaps a poll may increase the demand. Lots of people dont speak out or have time to, I enjoy giving back to the site in any way i can. Even if it results in the denial of a feature request.

example: Multiple Inventories? (yes/no)

As far as the "rep" I was referring to, I was meaning the +1 feedback that people look for when they are deciding whether or not to trade with you.  I know that there are numerous people on this site who either refuse to trade with people that do not have enough feedback or will require those parties to send first.  I can see where creating multiple profiles would impair you in that regard, as you would then lack the necessary feedback or otherwise would result in you endlessly needing to send your cards first (which I would imagine would get rather old).

As far as the actual implementation of the feature, I couldn't tell you what to expect.  Sebi/Catinca are our site admins and they're responsible for all of the site's inner-workings.  It would be possible to setup some sort of poll for it to gauge interest, but based on the fact that neither HikingStick nor I even saw the need in the first place, I don't know that many users out there have a problem with just using decks in the way I described (as I've done trades for a friend in that exact way).  Regardless, I will openly admit that I don't know how readily feasible it would be in the first place.  All I can say is keep the feedback coming as I know Sebi/Catinca are working their able best to improve the site if and whenever possible.

Well they are doing a great job. The site is excellent. IT will continue to strive as requests from it's members are considered and implemented when possible or applicable.

Great work thus far!

I sort collections as a hobby (and for trade credit!), so whenever I do that I offer to enter inventory here, under a new account in their name.  I have entered inventory for only one person that way, however, as most I know are not so anal about keeping track of their cards.

That reminds me that I need to check in with a friend who dropped off a binder full of Revised and Unlimited cards a while back.  I emailed him when I was done, but he has not replied. Some mighty nice cards in there...

I'm not sure about multiple inventories, but I would like to see a sub, perhaps 'collection' within inventory. My scenario is that myself and close friends would frequently buy boxes and would like enter those in to easily see the 'money' cards, box value and such and then initiate trades on that lot alone. As it stands, we need to add them as a new deck which can be a little restrictive. We cannot mark one as foil or edition for example and it is not counted in the inventory until print/import.

Additionally it could be used to house 'blocks' and although this can be done with filters, it just seems like it would fit quite naturally into the site.