Topic: Editions shown in decks

When I make a new deck, all cards shown in this deck are from default editions, not from those I have in my Inventory. Example: I have Demonic Tutor from Divine vs. Demonic Duel Deck in my Inventory, but when I add it to my Teysa EDH deck, it's shown as default Revised Edition there (and has incorrect price due to that).

Am I doing something wrong or is it some kind of bug?

Re: Editions shown in decks

This is by design at the moment, essentially decks are agnostic to what you actually have in your inventory because you can obviously build decks on Deckbox with cards that you don't necessarily have.  That being said, it is rather confusing to show a version at all, unless they support the idea of assigning cards from your inventory to a specific deck.

NullParameter wrote:

That being said, it is rather confusing to show a version at all, unless they support the idea of assigning cards from your inventory to a specific deck.

Exactly - I don't really understand the decklists in their current shape. If they're supposed to be a simple notepads, showing versions and prices is both unnecessary and confusing. If they're supposed to help you in maintaining/upgrading/collecting/whatever, having correct versions of cards is absolutely crucial. What's the point of showing me the price of my deck if that price is totally wrong?

Well, I disagree with the price constraint, because it does give you a generally good approximation of the value of a deck or how much it would cost to create.  If you so choose to include some random promo that costs 100x as much as its regular counterpart, then that is an entirely different issue.  Having that general metric for comparison is still useful at the deck level regardless of whether or not it relates to specific versions.  And that right there probably answers the question as to why version is included, so as to specify which version that the price is representing.

Who cares about approximation? We mix particular cards into decks to see its exact cost.

NullParameter wrote:

Well, I disagree with the price constraint, because it does give you a generally good approximation of the value of a deck or how much it would cost to create.

OK, now I see why we can't understand each other. smile

See, I'm mostly an EDH player, I don't play much of tournament constructed formats like Standard, Modern or Legacy. EDH players tend to pimp their decks, foil them out, build them by particular theme, language or whatever floats their boats. For example a friend of mine has an Azusa deck that is fully foiled - its price is at least several times higher than Deckbox would show him. He spent quite a lot of time (and money) putting his deck together but the deck tool wouldn't help him at all in that matter.

BTW: It kinda shows that the deck tool we're talking about wasn't created with EDH in mind. tongue It also puts the general among the rest of the deck instead of separating him somehow, which results in awkward things like drawing your general in your sample hand (the Statistics tool), including him in your mana curve, suggesting 24 lands in the mana base calculator and so on.

Crysthorn wrote:
NullParameter wrote:

Well, I disagree with the price constraint, because it does give you a generally good approximation of the value of a deck or how much it would cost to create.

OK, now I see why we can't understand each other. smile

See, I'm mostly an EDH player, I don't play much of tournament constructed formats like Standard, Modern or Legacy. EDH players tend to pimp their decks, foil them out, build them by particular theme, language or whatever floats their boats. For example a friend of mine has an Azusa deck that is fully foiled - its price is at least several times higher than Deckbox would show him. He spent quite a lot of time (and money) putting his deck together but the deck tool wouldn't help him at all in that matter.

BTW: It kinda shows that the deck tool we're talking about wasn't created with EDH in mind. tongue It also puts the general among the rest of the deck instead of separating him somehow, which results in awkward things like drawing your general in your sample hand (the Statistics tool), including him in your mana curve, suggesting 24 lands in the mana base calculator and so on.

See, that's a huge assumption because I'm really only an EDH player as well (having only dabbled in Standard like twice and nothing else), but my "pimping" is the fact that I have well over a dozen decks, and I'm working on a dozen more at any given time.  I'd rather dump my money/value into giving myself more variety rather than making something pretty.  I don't care how much each specific deck is worth based on the actual cards in it, I care how much it is going to cost me to assemble the next one or rework a current one.  Plus, I know tons of people who pimp out their standard/legacy/whatever decks as well.

Everybody's views are different, and everybody's goals are different, no matter what format.

I totally agree that it would be a great option to incorporate the possibility of listing the exact value of your current deck, but I think you are overestimating the "need" for it for everybody.