Topic: Big change to pricing algoritm?

Hi. I just noticed a very large change in my inventory value. It looks like most/all small value cards jumped from the standard "10 cents" to more like 14-20 cents. Some other mid-value cards may have also gone up, but it's harder to tell.

I'm guessing there was some change to the pricing algorithm? Can we get any update on it? thanks!

Re: Big change to pricing algoritm?

There were indeed some new tweaks the last few days, trying to fix various mispriced cards, and promos that previously had no price.

I did not intend to cause the majority of commons to shift in value though, since you say that they shifted towards 20 cents. I will look into it.

World Championship Deck cards were all off or missing, many are now fixed as well, might also be the cause for a swing.

I saw the world champion decks had odd prices, but that wasn't the cause of my own inventory swing because I didn't have any in there.

As I've looked around, it looks like most of the change was driven by cards that were previously 10 cents that are now worth more like 15-20 cents. Not a big deal for most people, but I have like 30,000 cards, most of which are common and uncommon, so an increase in like 25% of the value on my 10-cent common cards leads to a big jump in my total inventory value. I'm ok with the valuation if that's the new normal and if we think it's more accurate -- I just wanted to understand if this was intended to be permanent, and if there was any way to see which cards saw the biggest changes -- to help build confidence in the new pricing and see if those changes make sense to me/us, or if they seem more arbitrary.

Thanks for your continued work! Getting the pricing data as good as possible is (in my opinion) the most important thing.

I too noticed a large jump in my inventory value from around 13k to 15k in the last few weeks. I can contribute about half of that jump easily to the recent crazy buyouts, but there definitely seems like there was something else as well. Cant say it was bulk though.

I would kill for a daily or weekly price change for cards on my inventory.

Same thing here. I mostly collect Pauper so most of my cards are commons (or uncommons that were printed at common once). The value of my collection started going up on July 4 or so and has increased in value by around 20% since then, going up a few percent each day. Today it went up yet again, though the rate of increase is slowing.

I would love to be able to choose a setting that zeros out the value of all basic lands, and all cards costing less than, say, 21 cents. That way I can track real value over time. I know that if I tried to sell all my basic lands and all my < 21 cent cards, I would get virtually nothing.

Currently, 59% of the "value" of my collection is cards costing 20 cents or less.

Many basic land cards were indeed also not properly priced earlier and many editions have been adjusted. Since people have a lot of them this accounts for an increase as well.

I like the last idea settlerjoe, to provide more information in the total value field. What would you think would be useful?

Total value as it is now, and total value of cards worth > 30 cents, perhaps? Or 50 cents?

Some lands are quite valuable, like the full arts, many promos etc.

sebi wrote:

Many basic land cards were indeed also not properly priced earlier and many editions have been adjusted. Since people have a lot of them this accounts for an increase as well.

I like the last idea settlerjoe, to provide more information in the total value field. What would you think would be useful?

Total value as it is now, and total value of cards worth > 30 cents, perhaps? Or 50 cents?

Some lands are quite valuable, like the full arts, many promos etc.

One thing I had sort of been doing before was back when the minimum price for a card was 10 cents (is that still the case?) I'd look at the value over 10 cents. E.g. 100 commons each priced at 11 cents would be "worth" $1 (100 x .01) rather than $11. You could also maybe add a filter that says "value of all cards worth more than X" where X is a user input.

One thing I'd LOVE, and would probably actually pay for, is collection value tracking over time. I track a bunch of stuff in a spreadsheet, including the value gained/lost on trades, that I'd love to see on the site. My card collection is sort of like a "portfolio" of stocks. I make trades and acquisitions and I'd like to be able to track it's performance over time. I'm not sure if the amount of work that would take is worth it since I'm probably in the minority here. Mainly, my interest in the pricing was just to understand if my portfolio really went up, or if it's just a change in the algorithm.

Something like that, yes. Perhaps allow the user to input the cutoff amount? Also - would be great if all basic lands (except special ones like foils, full-art, etc.) were excluded, regardless of the price cutoff. I've seen way too many times a basic land worth a penny at most is listed for as much as 50 cents on deckbox.

However, if you're going to fix that cutoff at a certain number, I wouldn't go higher than 24 cents, as anything worth 25 cents or more has real trade value, especially for Pauper players. Perhaps you could seek input from the Deckbox community for what that fixed cutoff should be, but I imagine it will be different depending on the type of player. Pauper players such as myself would rather have a lower cutoff of around 20 cents, I would imagine.

To elaborate:

With in-person trades at my LGS, 25 cents is about when people start to pay attention to the value of the card in a trade ("we're at $22 for you, $23 for me, how about throw in 4 of these 25 cent cards to even out the trade"). On the other hand, it seems like cards valued at less than 20 cents are thrown in for free in some of my trades.

There are many important cards for the Pauper format that cost less than 25 cents according to Deckbox (but which often differ by a few cents from TCG). Ghostly Flicker is .21.  Atog .25. Gorilla Shaman .20, Kor Skyfisher .19, etc.

If you want to get a sense for Pauper card values, you can look at this deckbox list I made, which represents the contents of a 53 deck "Pauper Battle Box" (decks that have done well in at least one online tournament in 2014-2105) that was publicly posted to the reddit/pauper board:

http://deckbox.org/sets/1280397

I'm gradually trying to acquire all of these cards, in the listed quantities, mostly by sifting through the penny card bins at my LGS. These cards have real value to paper Pauper players, especially the ones with 5 or more listed for the quantity (it means the cards are used in multiple decks).

On my account, there was a big increase in prices of 10 to 20 cent cards from about July 4 through around July 12 or so, but since then the daily price increases have stopped. Prices are stable at a level that is much higher than they used to be prior to July 4.

Given that I collect primarily commons for Pauper, and that quite a few of these cards are worth less than 25 cents, the value of my deckbox inventory went up by about 20% in the first week of July. I don't know the exact amount as I was also adding some inventory at the time.

Total value as it is now, and total value of cards worth > 30 cents, perhaps?

Oh wow I see that you already implemented the change of showing values of cards worth more than .30, when Total Set Value is selected. Given that I collect Pauper and have mostly commons, my total set value drops from $2,728 to $969. A lot of my .20 to .30 cards are worth something to Pauper players, though.

Perhaps .20 would be a better cutoff?

settlerjoe wrote:

Total value as it is now, and total value of cards worth > 30 cents, perhaps?

Oh wow I see that you already implemented the change of showing values of cards worth more than .30, when Total Set Value is selected. Given that I collect Pauper and have mostly commons, my total set value drops from $2,728 to $969. A lot of my .20 to .30 cards are worth something to Pauper players, though.

Open to discussion for that .30 value, sure.

Check out the post here: https://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28446

As a workaround you can still get the value for your > .20 cards, by filtering by price then clicking on show set value.

settlerjoe wrote:

I was under the impression that the $0.30 cutoff is just an example - you can see the same thing by adding a $0.30 filter and clicking View > Total Set Value, or use any other filter(s) you like and see the value for the filtered cards.

Last edited by BetweenWalls (2016-07-24 18:16:11)

sebi wrote:

you can still get the value for your > .20 cards, by filtering by price then clicking on show set value.

Got it. Very simple to use part of search, and works great!