Topic: [feature request] Edition / printing details for cards

It would be nice to be able to pick the set for cards printed in multiple sets... would be especially useful for trading, where the set can alter a card's value, or so that people don't end up trading for a beta version birds of paradise when they're expecting it to be from m10.

Re: [feature request] Edition / printing details for cards

Yep, this is another thing that I've thought about at length.

I know some people would like to specify edition, printing, condition, foiled etc for cards in tradelists and wishlists. The problem is I have not found an easy and straightforward way to implement that. I've tried a couple of times but this feature seems to clutter the interface and make it a drag for those people that DON'T need to specify these things.

I still have not abandoned this... but I'm not sure how to do it. Maybe in the mean time (until I find a decent solution) I'll add the capability to set notes on cards (and also to filter a set by searching in the note text).
This compromise / temporary solution would mean you could specify manually what's foiled, what you borrowed to your friends, or mini info bits like this.

The one thing I want to make sure is done, for when you implement this, is to make sure that the cart set is a "subtype" of the card itself. 

In other words, I want it tracked that I have 12 Lightning Bolts, and 6 are from Revised, 3 are from 4th edition, 1 is Japanese 4th Edition, 2 are from M10, etc...  (unlike "other" sites that treat them as separate cards and thus think your Revised Lightning Bolts are not standard-legal...)

Given some time to mull over the awesome potential of this project, I think I may be able to offer some ideas that would add great value.

First of which is a decklisting function that automatically checks your deck for legality in common gameplay formats. Often when I build (I've been in magic a while), I just start pulling cards to build around a specific synergy. Often, after I've wrecked the kitchen table and gotten in trouble with the wife, I find out that the deck is not extended/vintage/legacy/TwoHeadedGiant legal due to one card or another.

Next, I've noticed that our profile pages bear a notable resembalance to facebook. I am not suggesting this so that deckbox becomes face book for TCG nerds, but it would be nice to provide visitors to my profile with a little more about myself and my history with MtG.

Also, I'd like to be able to include some notes with the decks I construct. Perhaps even further than that, enable visitors/friends to leave comments and give feedback about the deck inside the profile.

Lastly (for now smile ), if it would be easy to implement, I'd like to flag a deck as the one/ones I'm playing right now, for say FNM, so that others will be able to see this in my profile. For me, this feature would indicate which decks I should leave comments for in other people's profiles. It would also be nice to flag a deck as my current FNM/Competitive build, a deck I have constructed for Casual, or as a conceptual list, because it would guide feedback about that deck differently for each one, and aid people in searching for the correct play level deck (@ The person with the Baneslayer Angel that needs a deck for it).

PS. In the interest of keeping the forums concise, I'll be trying to post on threads with similar interests, rather than enforcing precedent that everyone who has a problem should start a new thread. Perhaps the threads should be renamed to reflect their content? (forum bugs/deckbox bugs/deckbox improvement/etc.)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l55/ehndgaim/th_SigLogo.jpg
When you are here, you are one of the family.
Connect with the family on Facebook comming soon!

TheShaman wrote:

Given some time to mull over the awesome potential of this project, I think I may be able to offer some ideas that would add great value.

I said it before, but I'll say it again: i really appreciate your feedback, keep it coming, be it positive or negative! smile

TheShaman wrote:

First of which is a decklisting function that automatically checks your deck for legality in common gameplay formats. Often when I build (I've been in magic a while), I just start pulling cards to build around a specific synergy. Often, after I've wrecked the kitchen table and gotten in trouble with the wife, I find out that the deck is not extended/vintage/legacy/TwoHeadedGiant legal due to one card or another.

Good idea, and it wasn't even on my list, I overlooked this one. It's on the list now, and hopefully there's going to be no more trouble with the kitchen table, if you use the website to build the deck tongue

TheShaman wrote:

Next, I've noticed that our profile pages bear a notable resembalance to facebook. I am not suggesting this so that deckbox becomes face book for TCG nerds, but it would be nice to provide visitors to my profile with a little more about myself and my history with MtG.

This is coming really soon, as I am adding a 'bio' / 'description' user property along with the 'trade interface' changes.

TheShaman wrote:

Also, I'd like to be able to include some notes with the decks I construct. Perhaps even further than that, enable visitors/friends to leave comments and give feedback about the deck inside the profile.

Notes yes, we can have that, as I want to add the ability to add notes to cards also.
Commenting is a bit tricky (as is 'deck rating' for example). This is because the decks are volatile. Someone can leave an insightful comment about your deck, and 2 days later you can totally change the deck contents. Then the comment will just be useless and confusing....
But commenting is definitely important, and I'll have to work something out in the future.

TheShaman wrote:

Lastly (for now smile ), if it would be easy to implement, I'd like to flag a deck as the one/ones I'm playing right now, for say FNM, so that others will be able to see this in my profile. For me, this feature would indicate which decks I should leave comments for in other people's profiles. It would also be nice to flag a deck as my current FNM/Competitive build, a deck I have constructed for Casual, or as a conceptual list, because it would guide feedback about that deck differently for each one, and aid people in searching for the correct play level deck (@ The person with the Baneslayer Angel that needs a deck for it).

This is also something i need to think about a bit. A friend also asked me about "folders" or "labels" for decks... so that you can organize them if you get to the point where you have too many. The tagging thing you ask for is also related to this....
So this issue is on the TODO list as well... i'm still considering how to make it.

But... all these features come after the trade interface which is now in the works. I hope that's going to be available sooner rather than later... but the wait is going to be worth it, cause it's going to rock tongue

sebi wrote:

I know some people would like to specify edition, printing, condition, foiled etc for cards in tradelists and wishlists.

First of all. I love deckbox.org even in its early stages it looks are clean and it seems to be able to become a really nice web tool.

I was experimenting with importing my collection from Magic Workstation by means of exporting my Magic Workstation to excel and then manually copy pasting two columns (quantity and card name) into your import tool.

It seems to do a nice job, but, the system always takes the most recent set a card resides in? And you can't change this for now?

Example: for starters I filtered in excel only my cards from the Shards of Alara set and copy pasted all of them into deckbox. Now it says my cancel is from M10 instead of Shards of Alara. And I can't change this? You said people would like to specify edition for tradelists and wishlists, I'd rather like to specify this for the most important thing: my current inventory.

What's the real use of an inventory if you can't specify the edition of the card? That's not accurate unfortunately... Say someone has 10 birds of paradises from Beta... that person surely doesn't want them listed as 10 birds of paradise from M10. Kinda defeats the purpose of an inventory. Even though I saw your search filter finds the card in different sets without any problem. For starters, you might want to add all of the sets the card resides in in your column Edition (even though that might clutter the interface because some cards reside in practically all of the core sets). Right now when I enable the column edition I only see M10 as edition listed next to the card Cancel. Awkward as I want it to be listed as Shards of Alara.

Second small question: is there an easy way of removing your whole inventory/selection-of-cards at once (i made an import mistake)? Right now I had to traverse 16 pages and use the check box at the top left to select them all in order to remove all of the cards. One might be able to view more cards per page so you don't have to switch to so many pages to achieve your goals. Say I have 100000000 cards of multiple sets I coudl filter only the cards from Shards of Alara and see them all on one page, tick the check box at the top left to select them all and then remove them from the inventory at once.

I've read through all of the threads on this forum and I agree on lots of things that've been mentioned before and I reckon deckbox.org has lots of potential to grow into a very great online tool. Keep it up!

Also

Last edited by Fredd-E (2009-09-10 10:11:19)

Fredd-E wrote:

Now it says my cancel is from M10 instead of Shards of Alara. And I can't change this? You said people would like to specify edition for tradelists and wishlists, I'd rather like to specify this for the most important thing: my current inventory.

Yep. The ability to specify what edition a card is from is missing right now (but it's on the TODO list, it will eventually be available; and when it will, i'll make sure it'll also be available for inventories). Right now, all cards display in the edition column the latest edition they belong to.

Fredd-E wrote:

Second small question: is there an easy way of removing your whole inventory/selection-of-cards at once (i made an import mistake)?

Yep, this is sadly true as well, but it's also on the TODO list. It will eventually work as it does in gmail, for those of you who use that.

Fredd-E wrote:

Also

I have a feeling your post has been truncated here smile

sebi wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

Second small question: is there an easy way of removing your whole inventory/selection-of-cards at once (i made an import mistake)?

Yep, this is sadly true as well, but it's also on the TODO list. It will eventually work as it does in gmail, for those of you who use that.

I'm a google addict. I practically use all of their online services on a more than daily basis. ;-) So that would be a very great idea if you'd make something like gmail's labels/filters as well. (delete all items that belong to a certain filter for example; that way I could have deleted all of my shards of alara imports for example, or all the cards at once) (and labels would be great to tag onto the decks one has created)

+1 this idea! big_smile

sebi wrote:
Fredd-E wrote:

Also

I have a feeling your post has been truncated here smile

LOL. Well I think it's a leftover I had forgotten to delete.

I've seen you write lots of times about your TODO list. Would you mind adding this ever-growing todo-list to the Upcoming Features thread you made? That would give everyone a nice overview of all these 'small' things to come in the near future and will also reduce the amount of redundant questions about future enhancement requests.

also, it would be better if you add the option for the foil/non-foil version. it will really help in the trading section

Best website I have seen!
If there was some way after importing to maybe change sets or foil/non-foil, it would be perfect.

sebi wrote:

Notes yes, we can have that, as I want to add the ability to add notes to cards also.
Commenting is a bit tricky (as is 'deck rating' for example). This is because the decks are volatile. Someone can leave an insightful comment about your deck, and 2 days later you can totally change the deck contents. Then the comment will just be useless and confusing....
But commenting is definitely important, and I'll have to work something out in the future.

One idea to solve this issue is to use Revisions and make the comments local relative to the revision. When you edit a deck, it becomes the new Current Revision, and the old comments are essentially archived and hidden (but can be referenced if you pull up that specific older revision). The interface for this could be quite simple, next to the Deck Name could be a small object that says "Current Revision" followed by a drop down menu to switch to older revisions.