Re: Getting started with Commander/EDH

Helios52 wrote:

I realize you didnt ask me but I just happened to see the question so I thought Id answer...

Hey, I'm looking for feedback, so yours is as welcome as the next!

I'm just a bit disappointed now that I won't have a chance to play the format until next weekend (two pre-release events this weekend).

I have a coin-flipping goblin, Goblin Bangchuckers, and I already have it in there. I also have some +1/+1 goblin buffs, including Goblin King and Goblin Chieftain) among others, so I'd try to hold that one back until a lost flip won't remote it from the board.

I already have the sense that these goblins will be fun to play, so I've started adding some of them to my wishlist.  wink

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

For the love of Krenko, You need to run Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle! This would be the first land I sleeve up in a mono red deck lol

Helios52 wrote:

For the love of Krenko, You need to run Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle! This would be the first land I sleeve up in a mono red deck lol

Yeah Krenko is crazy in EDH. My friend has a mono goblin Krenko. Put in goblin sacrifices, with a sharpshooter out and ouch!

Yes, I've picked up Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, plan to run Krenko, Mob Boss, and am looking at running mono-red with either Krenko or Ib Halfheart, Goblin Tactician as the commander.  Some very nice red cards out there.  I'm thinking of adding Street Spasm and Guttersnipe from RtR.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of goblins and I thought I'd offer some thoughts about your other deck

I think that Gisela could actually be fun as a commander, it depends on how you assemble the deck, It will rely heavily on artifact ramp, Boros Signet, Manalith, Darksteel Ingot, Obelisk of Naya, and red actually has some pretty decent temporary ramp cards like Desperate Ritual, Pyretic Ritual, and Geosurge.

It also needs more blow up the board effects, Day of Judgement, Maybe Wrath of God, and some damage everyone spells, Blasphemous Act, Earthquake, stuff like that

Overall I think that goblins would be more competitive but I would enjoy them a lot less, If you're liking goblins I'd say you should try making your next deck not contain red so you can see which color you like best, I personally like mono-blue the best for a single color but I don't really like using blue in decks that aren't mono colored

This is old, but it has also been stickied, so I wanted to add my two cents for whoever may be looking at this later on.

EDH is highly dependent on the group you play with. If you are playing 1v1 games, expect fast games with a lower mana curve. If you are playing multiplayer (which I think is where the format shines), expect longer games with a higher mana curve. As I only play multiplayer, the rest of this is directed at that subsection of EDH.

You will need removal to handle the amazing cards that come out. Board wipes can be useful, particularly if you can work them into a one-way wipe.

Exiling is better than destroy effects, as there are many indestructible permanents out there that work fabulously in EDH.

Split second cards are better in EDH than usual. You never know how the politics of a multiplayer game will go, and invariably somebody has an instant or an ability that messes with your chances to do something.

Cards that take care of artifacts and enchantments should probably be in every EDH deck you make. There are many of these out there that drastically change the board state, and if you can't remove them, you get hosed- often in amusingly unpredictable ways, but still hosed.

As with all formats, adapt your strategies to the group you play with. Mine has a lot of board wipes, so running a creature deck isn't a great move unless those creatures can survive or do damage before getting wiped out. Your group may or may not run a lot of board wipes, or counter spells, or whatever else may ruin your day.

Same
I have been looking at commander aswell