Topic: New user has some questions.

Hey I am pretty new here and I just had a couple of questions to help me use the site better

When making my tradelist is there a way to add a little note with information? also is there a way to set custom values other than just the autogenerated card values? I have graded cards that i would like to put on my trade list but I have no way to say that they are graded, what the grade is, what the subgrades are, etc. also i would generally expect a trade value premium over a raw card.

also is there any way to easily add cards to my wishlist other than typing them in one by one? generally when looking through peoples trades lists i'll see a card and say "oh I would like to have that" and it would be easier if there was a little button that just says "add to wishlist" or something like that instead of me having to write them down somewhere.

Re: New user has some questions.

orchidx wrote:

Hey I am pretty new here and I just had a couple of questions to help me use the site better

When making my tradelist is there a way to add a little note with information? also is there a way to set custom values other than just the autogenerated card values? I have graded cards that i would like to put on my trade list but I have no way to say that they are graded, what the grade is, what the subgrades are, etc. also i would generally expect a trade value premium over a raw card.

also is there any way to easily add cards to my wishlist other than typing them in one by one? generally when looking through peoples trades lists i'll see a card and say "oh I would like to have that" and it would be easier if there was a little button that just says "add to wishlist" or something like that instead of me having to write them down somewhere.

I can't speak too much to the former, as I don't use this site to trade. But as to the latter, when you see a card you want, just click on the card, which will open up the card's detail page in a new browser tab, and then on the left, it'll show how many of the card you have in your inventory / tradelist / wishlist. At the top of that section, there's an "Edit" link, which will open up a box. From there, you can add it to your wishlist.

As to the former, as far as I know, there's not a way to add individual card notes, but I could be wrong. Especially if it's a premium feature. You also can't set custom values unless you have a seller account and list the cards for a specific sale price.

One idea I have -- hopefully other traders will chime in whether or not this would be a good idea -- is you could use a card flag that you never use otherwise to denote graded cards, then mention this in your trader bio. For instance, you use the Foil and Signed flags, but you don't have any cards listed as Altered, Misprint, Textless, Promo, or Artist Proof. Let's say you know you'll never deal in truly altered cards. You might decide to flag all graded cards as "altered", with a note in your bio that this means graded and to message you for details on subgrades and desired trade value. Now, I don't know if everyone checks others' bios (I know I would!), but if you receive a trade offer containing a graded card and receive no message inquiring into the details of that card, then you can initiate the message yourself. Not ideal, I know. But at least it's somethingsmile

If you have a premium account you can add pictures to your cards.  That would be an easy way to denote graded cards.  Other than that, I second the idea of using some of the flags to mark special cards.  I've seen people use the 'textless' option, which works really well for most cards, because there is no textless version of most cards.

The prices that are listed are Deckbox's attempt to give you a market value, but they are sometimes wrong.  I wouldn't suggest using Deckbox prices for trades.  Most people use TCGPlayer and say so in their bio.

meldon44 wrote:
orchidx wrote:

I can't speak too much to the former, as I don't use this site to trade. But as to the latter, when you see a card you want, just click on the card, which will open up the card's detail page in a new browser tab, and then on the left, it'll show how many of the card you have in your inventory / tradelist / wishlist. At the top of that section, there's an "Edit" link, which will open up a box. From there, you can add it to your wishlist.

As to the former, as far as I know, there's not a way to add individual card notes, but I could be wrong. Especially if it's a premium feature. You also can't set custom values unless you have a seller account and list the cards for a specific sale price.

One idea I have -- hopefully other traders will chime in whether or not this would be a good idea -- is you could use a card flag that you never use otherwise to denote graded cards, then mention this in your trader bio. For instance, you use the Foil and Signed flags, but you don't have any cards listed as Altered, Misprint, Textless, Promo, or Artist Proof. Let's say you know you'll never deal in truly altered cards. You might decide to flag all graded cards as "altered", with a note in your bio that this means graded and to message you for details on subgrades and desired trade value. Now, I don't know if everyone checks others' bios (I know I would!), but if you receive a trade offer containing a graded card and receive no message inquiring into the details of that card, then you can initiate the message yourself. Not ideal, I know. But at least it's somethingsmile

thanks for the help on the wishlist thing that is a bit better, not ideal but hey i'll take it.
the problem is i happen to have artist proofs, textless cards, promos, misprints, altered and signed cards lol. they havent made their way into my list yet... i wish there was just a little pad with pencil symbol where you could write notes. but its all good i can just list graded stuff somewhere else i guess..

orchidx wrote:

the problem is i happen to have artist proofs, textless cards, promos, misprints, altered and signed cards lol. they havent made their way into my list yet... i wish there was just a little pad with pencil symbol where you could write notes. but its all good i can just list graded stuff somewhere else i guess..

Ah! Well in that case, I agree with @psrex. Use the Textless flag. Why? Because it's actually deprecated. It was on the site prior to all the promos being properly added into the various promo editions. Now, however, if you have e.g. a Magic Player Rewards Lightning Bolt or a Grand Prix Lightning Bolt, you can just add those cards using the correct edition, which means they are textless by definition and don't need to be specified as such. Then you can use the Textless flag as I described above.

meldon44 wrote:
orchidx wrote:

Ah! Well in that case, I agree with @psrex. Use the Textless flag. Why? Because it's actually deprecated. It was on the site prior to all the promos being properly added into the various promo editions. Now, however, if you have e.g. a Magic Player Rewards Lightning Bolt or a Grand Prix Lightning Bolt, you can just add those cards using the correct edition, which means they are textless by definition and don't need to be specified as such. Then you can use the Textless flag as I described above.

oh i did not know that. yeah that makes sense thanks!