Topic: Is there a way to get a list of all Magic cards from all sets listed?

I'm trying to get a list to compare and see what cards I am missing from each set. Is there a way to get this as a spreadsheet?

Last edited by AlmightySenator (2022-06-21 21:16:37)

Re: Is there a way to get a list of all Magic cards from all sets listed?

I've used Gatherer Extractor.

I tried it, but it was pretty clunky and not giving me the columns I needed. I'm just looking for Edition, Name, and Card Number

So. I think I may have gone overboard.  XD  I created a script that scrapes each Deckbox edition page for the card info, then appends it all to a CSV file. (I've only tested it on Chrome, so no guarantees it works in any other browser.)

Save the following link as a bookmark, go to the Editions page, then execute the bookmark. You should get a dialog popping up showing the progress, and then a Save As... dialog when progress reaches 100%.

The only problem is that a few cards can't be uniquely identified from each other in CSV format, so these get added as multiples of the same card. Notably, standard/full-art variants of basic lands and Wastes in BFZ/OGW, card variants from Unstable, the alt-art foils from Planeshift, and the Brothers Yamizaki.

Grab Cards from Deckbox

EDIT: Jk, apparently BBCode automatically adds "https://" to the beginning of each link, which breaks the bookmarklet code. So if you save it as a bookmark, all you have to do is right click the bookmark, choose Edit, and remove that portion (leaving "javascript:" at the beginning). Let me know if you have problems or questions.

Last edited by meldon44 (2022-06-28 07:00:16)

I can also easily export a csv with everything, might make it official and put some link on the top of the editions page.

sebi wrote:

I can also easily export a csv with everything, might make it official and put some link on the top of the editions page.

YAAAAAY! Do that.  smile

But you will not have nearly as much fun as I did coding this.  XD

On a more serious level: Do you have a good way of automating the export so that it updates the linked CSV any time you update the database? Otherwise, that's adding an extra task to your list (albeit an easy one, I'm sure), which has the potential to be forgotten, causing the CSV to become out of sync. It also adds ever so subtly more friction / roadblock into the update process, which often gets delayed enough as it is, what with the deluge of product that WotC sends your way.

Tl;Dr -- I love the idea. Just wanna make sure it's sustainable / scalable.