Topic: Selling a few higher-end cards

Hey guys,

I used to play MTG a ton (back in the mid 90s) and am just getting back into the game.  I'm looking to pick up some newer cards (see my wishlist) and am looking to unload a few older, higher-end cards to pay for this update.  In particular I'm looking to unload 2  Force of Wills, 1 Taiga, 1 Volcanic Island, and 1 Savannah (all revised).  TGC prices put these cards' total value in the $250-300 range.

My question is this: What is the best way to unload these cards and actually get value for them?  eBay?  Is there a way to sell them via TGC?  Thoughts?

Re: Selling a few higher-end cards

I haven't ever sold cards to TCG player but I have to assume that they aren't in the business of buying your cards for the exact same value that they are selling them.  That being said, you likely stand to get the most value by selling on eBay.  However, you may want to compare the eBay and PayPal fees against the TCG Player purchase prices to be sure.

Thanks Tawnos, I'll definitely look into it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?  Surely I'm not the only one on here who was playing back in '95 and who has wanted to unload a few cards to get back up to speed.

Generally selling on eBay or anything that is not "your store" is going to be under cutting the actual value of the cards according to tcgplayer.

If you are trying to get back into MTG and are shooting for high value to pour back into the game, your best bet is to trade them at their value for appropriate value IMO.

Coincidentally if you want to sell or trade, should give me the details I may be interested wink

Vyr1s, I've posted the three decks I'm trying to piece together in my profile decks section.  As you can see there is a LOT missing, given that I haven't really been into the game in about 15 years.  Take a look around and if you're wanting one (or more) of the cards I listed, if you have the parts to one, or more of these decks, then perhaps we can work something out.  I REALLY don't want to end up losing $10 per card on eBay or Amazon.

Vyr1s wrote:

Generally selling on eBay or anything that is not "your store" is going to be under cutting the actual value of the cards according to tcgplayer.

If you are trying to get back into MTG and are shooting for high value to pour back into the game, your best bet is to trade them at their value for appropriate value IMO.

That is a very well-stated point, Vyr1s.  I mistakenly focused only on selling the cards when, as you pointed out, trading is the best way to get every penny out of your cards.

I'll take a look at your lists when I get home.
I am currently in the process of sorting my cards to be input on this site.

I've been playing aprox 13-14 years myself, but don't care for the new stuff.
In particular I do want your Force of Wills, they have gone missing from one of my decks, which was most upsetting.

But during my sorting of commons/uncommons I did find a stack of 100-150 rares including mythics and foils.

Assuming most of the main stuff you are after are on your wishlist, I will scrounge for that, as I doubt I will have everything inputted nicely any time soon on this webby.

V1rys,

Just wanted to check in and see if you'd gotten a chance to look over my wishlist.  I'll likely be adding a lot more of my inventory to this site in the coming days in case there's something else you're looking for.

TyWooOneTime

Got stupid busy with me taking pager shift a week or two early, as a favor.
I separated another large stack of rares out of some boxes that I thought where commons.

If all goes well today, I _should_ be able to sift through them today for majority of your current wishlist, to see what I have.

Not a problem.  No rush.  I just hadn't heard anything and didn't know what was up.

I'd be interested in your volcanic or Taiga too.

Pager is killing me :'(

I have input some rares, looks like the site has found at least 7 cards you're after.
I will continue this week.
(hunting for them without the webby was getting no where fast)

Not a problem Vyr1s.  I'm hanging on to let you get first crack at them.

I wanted to keep everyone updated.  The Volcanic Island, Savannah, and both FOWs are gone.

I've updated my wishlist (You can find it under my "updated wishlist" deck) now that I've completed 2 additional trades... sadly the only remaining major card on my end is the Taiga.

I understand if many of you are not interested, but if you are, you can look and see the updated list.

Grats, I hope the trades went well!

If I can muster up enough value / find my hidden cache of cards, I am still interested in the taiga.
Unfortunately this seems to be an uphill fight and I am loosing lol.

What condition is the taiga?

It's in great shape.  I only used it maybe 5-10 times after I pulled it in a booster back in 95-96.

Look at my "Updated Wishlist" deck at http://deckbox.org/sets/143044 for what I'm still looking to pick up.

Alrighty.  The Taiga is claimed.  Thanks everyone for all your interest.