Topic: Inaccurate card art displayed

I'm building my inventory, paying special care to the edition my card is. For example, my Mind Ravel (Ice Age) and Unholy Strength (V) cards are displaying card art from other editions.

Before I continue to build my rather extensive inventory from Alpha up to M13, I'd like to know that I wont waste my time while this database displays inaccurate and wrong card info.

Re: Inaccurate card art displayed

The database displays the most current card info.  If you go onto the card's page and click the edition symbols it will display older versions, but hovering over the name always shows the most recent printing.

the_wizard_666 wrote:

The database displays the most current card info.  If you go onto the card's page and click the edition symbols it will display older versions, but hovering over the name always shows the most recent printing.

So what's the point in agonizing over getting the edition correct for your inventory? If I can choose what edition the card is (sometimes, the same card in different editions) if all it does is display the most recent edition?

Last edited by PackardGoose (2012-08-13 16:12:24)

It's useful for trading and for wishlist, but if you just want to track your inventory I wouldn't worry too much about it.

PackardGoose wrote:
the_wizard_666 wrote:

So what's the point in agonizing over getting the edition correct for your inventory? If I can choose what edition the card is (sometimes, the same card in different editions) if all it does is display the most recent edition?

When you choose the edition, it shows the edition symbol in your inventory and wishlist.  If you have multiple editions, it shows all those symbols.  I don't know about you, but I have several cards with 5 or 6 different editions represented in my inventory.  I would rather see one image when hovering over the card name than 5 or 6 of them.  Another thing to consider is the difference in the text...typically the more recent versions of a card have the most concise (not to mention Oracle-accurate) wording on the cards.  Take a look at Darkness for example.  You hover over it and it shows the Time Spiral reprint.  Now, go look at the Legends version.  It's an extreme example, but I'd rather see the easiest-to-read version pop up as opposed to the most accurate listing compared to what I own.

One small nitpick: it doesn't always show the most recent printing. I believe it uses the same logic that the Edition field value sort in the Advanced Search interface uses, and so the printing that will be displayed is the one closest to the top of that list.

So for example, the card Deep Analysis was printed twice: once originally in Torment in 2002, and a second time in Ajani vs. Nicol Bolas in 2011. The 2011 version is clearly the more recent printing, but because of the unusual sort, the Torment printing is displayed by default.

For what it's worth, the sort order from lowest display priority to highest display priority seems to be:

1. The joke sets (Unhinged, Unglued)

2. The Portal sets

3. The Starter sets

4. The Promo set

5. Battle Royale, Beatdown, and Vanguard

6. The From the Vault sets in order from earliest released to latest

7. The Premium Deck Series in order from earliest released to latest

8. The Duel Deck Series in order from earliest released to latest

9. The multiplayer sets in order from earliest released to latest (Planechase, Archenemy, Commander, Planechase 2012)

10. The main sets in order of their release, starting with Alpha and currently ending with the 2013 Core Set

This means that an Alpha card has a higher default display priority than, say, the same card from a recent Duel Deck, Premium Deck, From the Vault box, and so on.

You're correct Scrapulous in your assumptions.

Next release we're fixing all tooltips to show the proper image. smile