Topic: Avoid Trader OscarS66

Hi all,

I was approached 1 month+ ago by user OscarS66 for a very small trade, <5$ in cards total. He had 0 completed trades, a new user. I agreed to the trade, packaged them up, and gave them to my wife to drop off at the PO the next day.  Note that I've never been scammed before and am pretty trusting. Then the following happened:

OscarS66 - Aug 14

I won't be able to send the cards for a week or so as I am on vacation and don't have them with me

OscarS66 - Aug 14

I hope that's ok

bolerodefeu - Aug 28

Have you sent these cards... I sent mine like two weeks ago

OscarS66 - Aug 28

sorry i got off vacation and had to move in to college

OscarS66 - Aug 28

i apologize for the delay

OscarS66 - Aug 28

i am in the process of locating your cards and sending them out in the next couple days

bolerodefeu - Sep 2

bolerodefeu - Sep 9

It has been almost a month since I've sent cards and you've yet to update any status

So basically he's gone off grid. I look at his other trades and he posted a lot of potential trades on the same day and then had a period of inactivity. Because of the small amount of cards traded I can't imagine he is really scamming me, more likely an 18 year old kid who doesn't have his shit together. Regardless, avoid him.

I plan on reporting for mail fraud shortly.

Re: Avoid Trader OscarS66

you're first forum post. roll
Again, this is a case of communication failure. Please handle these issues outside of the public board, and keep these matters between the participants of the trade.

Monolith wrote:

Again, this is a case of communication failure. Please handle these issues outside of the public board, and keep these matters between the participants of the trade.

Why shouldn't he be able to warn people about someone who doesn't send his trades?

I had very much the same experience with this trader, although I requested that he send first, so I'm not out any cards.  After two weeks of pestering, he told me he would send them "tomorrow", and that was two weeks ago.  He has yet to mark them as shipped or tell me anything to the contrary, and I have yet to receive any cards.

So, I wouldn't say that this is necessarily just communication failure.

gumbygb wrote:
Monolith wrote:

Why shouldn't he be able to warn people about someone who doesn't send his trades?

This is one of Deckbox's many flaws.  No way to ban usernames from your tradable users list, no way to report users except when a trade is complete or you cancel the trade.

Feedback Reputation points, and Trade communication logs exist for this purpose.

Monolith wrote:

Feedback Reputation points, and Trade communication logs exist for this purpose.

You can't leave Feedback that actually affects their reputation unless you complete the trade, and you can't complete the trade unless they finish all of the steps as well.  So no, that isn't why they exist  (Although, I agree that's why they should exist, the system is just flawed in that manner). 

Right now, if they drop out and hose you, you're screwed.  Therefore, I totally agree with alerting people to bad traders such as this.

Last edited by NullParameter (2012-09-12 20:58:55)

A good alternative is changing the name of the trade he hasn't finished yet to "BEWARE: 1 month no communication!" or something like that.

Coyote1023 wrote:

A good alternative is changing the name of the trade he hasn't finished yet to "BEWARE: 1 month no communication!" or something like that.

I wouldn't say that it is an alternative per se, because not everybody is guaranteed to go look at his trades.  I do agree that it is a good thing to do in addition though.  But in my case, I plan on just canceling the trade, so that won't really do anything, and it really only works if you want to have a useless trade sitting there for quite a while.

Monolith wrote:

Again, this is a case of communication failure.

I don't see how this is a case of communication failure. There has been communications for the past month. He waited an appropriate amount of time to account for a mix up with the postal service before asking what was taking so long. The problem is one party is not fulfilling their part of the deal.  There should be no excuse for not being able to send a letter within a month timeframe.

NullParameter wrote:
Monolith wrote:

You can't leave Feedback that actually affects their reputation unless you complete the trade, and you can't complete the trade unless they finish all of the steps as well.  So no, that isn't why they exist  (Although, I agree that's why they should exist, the system is just flawed in that manner). 

Right now, if they drop out and hose you, you're screwed.  Therefore, I totally agree with alerting people to bad traders such as this.

Couldnt agree more. People make mistakes. However, it is our job to help police when the system is flawed as in the case of not being able to  give a feedback rating unless you cancel the trade. Arent forums set up to spread information? In any event, maybe the moderator in charge can alk to tech support about coming up with a better way to alert (really) bad traders as to prevent the war of "do not talk about your trade problems on the forum". That way people feel empowered, and dont get annoyed when there is an actual problem being addressed, but are getting shot in the face for speaking up...

My apologies to anyone who thinks this is a communication failure -- I see several people in current trades with him and posted this as a warning as I cannot leave feedback on a trade that is 'pending'. You'll notice that I waited a month after the trade had posted to put anything up here.

My first forum post but as you can see I've been part of this site since 2010 and have been an active trader for the entirety. This is the first time I've ever been swindled (and for such a low amount, too, aren't I lucky) and thought people deserved to know. I guess next time I'll just let other people get screwed smile

Cheers!

bolerodefeu

*Also something to consider -- if this isn't the place for it, what is the purpose of these forums? All the other posts seem to be about selling/buying cards -- which seems to be what the entirety of what deckbox.org is for with the feedback being a very minor part, yet there are no complaints about the other posts. I searched these forums for the user before I even posted to see if other people had encountered this guy. I would expect that this would be a primary source of 'bad trader' information. My apologies again.

Last edited by bolerodefeu (2012-09-12 22:29:33)

for the record I appreciate your post.  Even if it is just communication failure, waiting a month for cards to be shipped from 45 minutes away is a little ridiculous.

http://pwp.wizards.com/5101743434/Scorecards/Landscape.png

scurveymobile wrote:

for the record I appreciate your post.  Even if it is just communication failure, waiting a month for cards to be shipped from 45 minutes away is a little ridiculous.

I feel the same way

*  ~ ~ ~ ~ My DeviantArt Gallery ~ ~ ~ ~  *
http://i.imgur.com/nfwU2.png

Thanks for your post - whether or not others found it valuable, I always find these types of posts valuable.

I vote you go through with the mail fraud report!  However, if it's < $5, I doubt you put tracking on it. sad