Topic: Trading up: What percentage is too much?

O many people have asked about my legacy stuff and vice versa. In real life, I have never traded up or down however, it is very much common place on this site (and when in Rome...).

That said what is an appropriate number on trading up or down on legacy cards?

Thank you all!

Re: Trading up: What percentage is too much?

There was a thread on this earlier, but there wasn't any consensus.

Really, to me there are a lot of people on here who try to play it like an investment, with no consideration that it's supposed to be fun, and that both people should be happy with the trade.

To me value is value,

I'd trade any of my cards for any amount of other cards I needed as long as the value is relatively the same.

Yeah as long is its something I need I don't mind trading stuff in my tradelist to get them. Stuff is in the tradelist because we don't need them in any deck we are running so why hold on to it.

I am one of those who am picky about value propositions.   I fault no one who wants to stick to 1:1 trades.  I just look at it differently.  If those value cards were as easy to come by as bulk commons and uncommons (and some rares), they wouldn't carry a premium price tag at all. It's not that I'm trying to play it like an investment (though I'm sure there are some who do)--I'm just trying to get stuff on my wish list. 

The values of cards are not fixed like currency (where one $10 bill is always worth ten $1 bills)--they fluctuate (like changes between currencies).  Some cards may see pretty big fluctuations (high values early in a release cycle, and dropping when a set leaves standard), but many will retain their general value over their lifetime (unless something significant happens that affects their playablity). A few cards will see their value increase over time.  Most bulk commons and uncommons (and even some rares) have low values and will keep their low values over their lifetime.

The values used here (and on other sites) represent the prices one might expect to pay if buying the cards for funds.  I find that I could purchase most of the sub-$1 cards at my LGS for $0.10 each (or less, when buying bulk lots).  Of course, there's opportunity cost there, because I need to sort through their boxes and stacks, but that's just the way it is.

I find I don't restrict myself to 1:1 trades here or in real life.  If someone has a card I really want, I will generally offer more than the list value of the card.  How much more I offer depends on two things: 1) how much I want the card, and 2) how much the person with the card is inclined to keep it.  I'f I really wanted a Cavern of souls for example, I might well offer $30 or more in trade value if I was looking to have it right away.  In such a situation, however, I generally wouldn't offer a single $30 card for the Cavern. I'd try offering three $10 cards.  Why? Because it will likely take me much more time (and, potentially, money) to replace that $30 card than it will take to replace those individual $10 cards.

Why do most people oppose trade downs? Because they see such offers as bunches of cards that are relatively easy to get being offered in trade for something that is difficult to get.  To me, that's the primary reason to request additional value in a trade down (or to offer additional value when trying to trade up): because a bunch of relatively easy to get cards are being offered for a hard to get card.  It's about opportunity cost, and the subjective value each trader places on his or her cards.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.