Topic: Jace, AoT - anyone try this?

For everyone's favorite draw ability, cards are revealed before the chosen player separates them into two piles.  Nothing on the card state you are required to put them in face-up piles.  Has anyone tried putting the cards face down? The cards were revealed earlier.  Is there some unwritten rule that states they must be placed face up? I didn't see any rulings on Gatherer, so I'm guessing no one has tried it yet.

I just might do that if I encounter little boy blue at my next LGS event.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: Jace, AoT - anyone try this?

You pick one of your opponents when Jace’s second ability resolves. The ability doesn’t target that opponent. All players may see the revealed cards and offer opinions. You (not your opponent) choose which pile is put into your hand and which pile is put on the bottom of your library.

m0nstersnatch wrote:

You pick one of your opponents when Jace’s second ability resolves. The ability doesn’t target that opponent. All players may see the revealed cards and offer opinions. You (not your opponent) choose which pile is put into your hand and which pile is put on the bottom of your library.

Exactly.  All can see when revealed, and you can take opinions, but nothing explicitly states that they must remain visible when you put them into the piles.

I would double-check with a judge before going that route.  Although I can say that I just learned from the rulings on him that your opponent can actually make one of the two piles have zero cards... interesting.

Yes, saw those rulings on Gatherer.  There's one player at our LGS who relies primarily on Jace, AoT in his deck.  If I have the chance, I'll try my little stunt, and then, when he goes to flip them, I'll ask him to hold on and call for a judge.  Worth a try--even if only for laughs later on.

If it were allowed, though, it would be a game-changer.

Oh definitely.  If you can flip them and require them to sort them into two piles blind, that could be epic.

TyWooOneTime wrote:

Oh definitely.  If you can flip them and require them to sort them into two piles blind, that could be epic.

Yes that would be awesome!

I just conferred with a Level 1 Judge and he said that, sadly, the cards must remain revealed until the ability resolves... so no blind picking sad

TyWooOneTime wrote:

I just conferred with a Level 1 Judge and he said that, sadly, the cards must remain revealed until the ability resolves... so no blind picking sad

Dang.  Spoiled my fun.