Topic: [Opinions] Looking for input on Deck Idea

Been playing with an idea of a deck which is a adaptation of a GW aggro deck. Just wondering if it would work. I'm wanting to test it and probably change things around once Gatecrash releases.

http://deckbox.org/sets/251623

Re: [Opinions] Looking for input on Deck Idea

Well first off, it's not an aggro build by any stretch of the imagination (as aggro decks are aimed to be MUCH faster than what you're looking at here - your first creature(s) can't even hit the board until turn three when you would cast Midnight Haunting).

That aside, I would move a few items from the sideboard into the mainboard and vice-versa.  For instance, Rootborn Defenses is a great card, but it doesn't really fit what you're looking to do here unless you need to protect against board wipes.  I would move it to your sideboard and but both the Avacyn's Pilgrims and the other Farseeks into the mainboard.  I would also reduce Collective Blessing to a one or two of, if not completely drop it.  If you were sitting on an army of tokens, then I could see where it would give you the killing blow.  But given the current build, you're going to be pumping what, 3-4 creatures?

Since you're aiming for mid-range, I would suggest potentially tossing in Ranger's Path or even Seek the Horizon to try and help you get to the mana you need to cast Angel of Serenity/Thragtusk faster.  Sure Thragtusk can help you regain the life you lost in the first few turns, but it's easy enough to deal with.  Perhaps Centaur Healer could help fill the void and cover your rear until you get to the mid-game, where you would be free to dominate.  (Specifically, I'm thinking about how Geist of Saint Traft has you hurting pretty long before you're going to hit a tusk.)

As much as I hate telling someone to add $80 worth of cards to a deck, you really need at least one or two Cavern of Souls to stop a pesky Syncopate or Essence Scatter from messing you up.

Lastly, given the usage of white, I would advise 3x Nevermore in the sideboard.  It's easy enough to move in after you get a sense of what your opponent is doing after the first game and it can completely hamstring an opposing deck.  Just think about how much it would suck if someone cast it against you and named Thragtusk or Angel of Serenity...

Personally, I like the following equation:

Thragtusk + Cloudshift = Happy (Gain 10 life and get a bonus 3/3 creature)

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

While I understand the use of red for burn, I hate the idea, especially Annihilating Fire, as far as I'm concerned that card should never be in the main deck over searing spear, and even moreso in a deck splashing red, I can't picture this deck getting double red before turn 4-5 before gatecrash, once the red naya shocks are in it could work out, but for now it just seems awful to me.

I also agree that this is Mid-Range and that if you like having Collective Blessing you should try x4 Avacyn's Pilgrim and x4 Arbor Elf, the mana dorks can get lethal very quickly.

It looks to me like you're trying to put answers for everything into the deck, trying to include burn/exile for zombies/undying/rites, trying to have tokens for chumping, trying to include wrath protection, putting in huge threats, and other stuff, however it sounds alot better than it works out, I've tried decks like this and without a major card draw engine you tend to get answers for problems you're not having, for example you'll draw Pillar against a thragtusk and a midnight haunting against a rancor, I'd say that you should really try to focus the deck to one main strategy, if you want to go with the Naya Colors I'd recommend going with Naya Mid-Range Ramp, cut the blessings, go to either x4 farseek or add x4 borderland ranger, put in x4 avacyn's pilgrim and no matter what cut the burn and add Huntmasters

It's worth noting that Naya is a pretty expensive deck right now, but to be honest alot of decks for standard are getting unreasonably expensive

imsully2 wrote:

It's worth noting that Naya is a pretty expensive deck right now, but to be honest alot of decks for standard are getting unreasonably expensive

I believe they are changing the format name, soon.  Going forward, it will be called "$tandard"

lol

HikingStick wrote:

I believe they are changing the format name, soon.  Going forward, it will be called "$tandard"

I definitely would believe that... sadly 70% of that is in lands too.  People don't understand why I'm so into digging around for off-the-wall deck ideas.  They might not work, but I'm not out a fortune to play someone else's net-deck.  Sadly I'm pretty much alone in that regard.

TyWooOneTime wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

I definitely would believe that... sadly 70% of that is in lands too.  People don't understand why I'm so into digging around for off-the-wall deck ideas.  They might not work, but I'm not out a fortune to play someone else's net-deck.  Sadly I'm pretty much alone in that regard.

Not quite alone, at my last FNM I wont one game out of 9 playing an epic experiment deck worth about 15$ and 12 of that were the epic experiments tongue

The crazy decks are the most fun to play because if you win its always just insanely fun blowing out your opponent

I feel those financial pressures, but have, admittedly, been a little loose with the purse strings as I've gotten into formal play (coming off four months unemployed, it was really nice to be able to go out and just buy some things because I wanted them).  This site has been a godsend, since I've been able to trade things I acquired or already had for some of those chase cards.

TyWooOneTime wrote:
HikingStick wrote:

I definitely agree, I've used up my entire tradelist getting the lands for the deck I'm building in anticipate of Gatecrash. I've been spending a lot of time analyzing the decks that have been beating me at the couple of FNM I've played in and have been building this deck to answer the things that get me everytime.

I think I will put more mana ramp back in and move the burn to the sideboard until February. I'll update things and see if that works any better.

I changed around a few things and moved things to the sideboard. This looks a little better. Let me know what you think. Luckily I have 2 Cavern of Souls coming in so that worked out. Another thing I thought about including is Acidic Slime and using Cloudshift to flicker it in to take advantage of it ETB effects. Just don't know what I should pull or if it is even worth trying.

What about adding a Conjurer's Closet or two?  You've got 16 creatures that ETB with a benefit.  Abusing that as much as possible is going to be helpful.  With Acidic Slime it's non-creature removal on a stick that occurs every turn.