Topic: New Set up for adding cards to inventory

The new method for adding cards to the inventory really really sucks!!! sad
I am seriously considering looking for a new site ... which really bums mee out cuz I was really liking this one.
Bad decision to make it such a pain in the ass to add our cards to our inventories accurately.

Re: New Set up for adding cards to inventory

I haven't found anything wrong with it thus far, and it seems to solve a lot of the issues that I had with the old version.  Although I'll be the first to admit that I haven't used it an extensive amount yet, so I'll reserve my final judgment for a later date.

However, instead of just starting what is essentially a petition and basically threaten to leave, maybe you should provide some constructive criticism on ways to actually improve it.  Or at least voice what concerns you do have, beyond the fact that you think it "really really sucks".

adding cards is really not user friendly as it once was. You use to have the quantity you were adding as an option.

Plus they seem to have removed the option of seeing cards last added as a view option..
this was especially useful when adding a card to inventory , then placing it in a deck once it appeared in the list.
Now you have to manually search the card from your inventory.

EDIT: ok, i have found how to see cards in order of last added, it's in the drop down box in "columns"

Last edited by DoctorUgs (2012-12-30 23:45:03)

I think the issue I have is in correcting my inventory and correctly setting edtions/tradelist/wantlist/etc... It updates all cards of the same name (even ones I didn't edit) as recently updated. This makes it impossible to use the last-added column correctly.

It'd be great to have an 'added on' column, and a 'last edited' column.

Just my thoughts. Thanks!

It is a pain to have to go through EVERYTHING, because it didn't autosave the editions that were saved on deckbox 1.0

Numb007 wrote:

It is a pain to have to go through EVERYTHING, because it didn't autosave the editions that were saved on deckbox 1.0

What do you mean by 'it didn't autosave'? The editions specified in 1.0 are set now as well.

The new card update is a million times worse.  Confusing if I am adding new cards or additional cards.  If I am adding, why does it show multiple editions??? 
Trying to import using the CSV... CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME.  Been doing excel for 20 years... so it is not my experiance with excel.

I too think it might be time to move on as it seems things are going backwards here not forwards sad

Zeek wrote:

The new card update is a million times worse.  Confusing if I am adding new cards or additional cards.  If I am adding, why does it show multiple editions??? 
Trying to import using the CSV... CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME.  Been doing excel for 20 years... so it is not my experiance with excel.

I too think it might be time to move on as it seems things are going backwards here not forwards sad

The first line shown is the card you just added to your set.

All other lines below are instances of this card you already had in your inventory before. They are shown there so you see an overview of the situation of the card you are adding.

What issues do you have with CSV import? Does the input say that the file is valid and then fail? Can you please send us the csv file you are trying to upload to support@deckbox.org? We'll try to see what is wrong.

No need to send it, for some mysterious reason, CSV imports now work... for all the 5 files that wouldnt before...

Thanks for turning them back on ;=)

The new system is much worse than the old one.

When adding a card it creates a new line (even if it has teh same qualities as previous versions) and requires you to click Apply each time, when previously you could just press enter and start the next one.

This new system takes much longer and is very unintuitive

Trice wrote:

When adding a card it creates a new line (even if it has teh same qualities as previous versions) and requires you to click Apply each time, when previously you could just press enter and start the next one.

You do not have to click apply. Once you selected the card from the autocompleter, it is already added. The line is displayed separately so that you see it has been added. But then in your inventory they will show grouped.

We're sorry if that feels unintuitive, we'll think on how to make that clearer.

sebi wrote:
Trice wrote:

You do not have to click apply. Once you selected the card from the autocompleter, it is already added. The line is displayed separately so that you see it has been added. But then in your inventory they will show grouped.

We're sorry if that feels unintuitive, we'll think on how to make that clearer.

I'm not sure I understand.

I just clicked Import
Typed in Garruk
Clicked Garruk, Primal Hunter

now, no matter what I do (with the exception of clicking one of the lines and pressing apply) I always have 2 identical lines for it in my inventory. This happens with every card I add.

Am I doing it wrong? sad

Last edited by Trice (2013-01-12 22:04:57)

Trice wrote:

I'm not sure I understand.

I just clicked Import
Typed in Garruk
Clicked Garruk, Primal Hunter

now, no matter what I do (with the exception of clicking one of the lines and pressing apply) I always have 2 identical lines for it in my inventory. This happens with every card I add.

Am I doing it wrong? sad

No, you're not doing anything wrong.  The "issue" you're seeing is with the card adding widget, not the inventory. 

If you go look at your inventory right now (or after you add that card) there should only be one row for the card that you added.
However, in the card adding widget, it will show them as different rows so you can tell apart what you already had in your inventory versus was you just added.  That should only happen right when you add the card(s), and only in the widget, in your inventory it will always just be that one single row for that specific card.

NullParameter wrote:

If you go look at your inventory right now (or after you add that card) there should only be one row for the card that you added.
However, in the card adding widget, it will show them as different rows so you can tell apart what you already had in your inventory versus was you just added.  That should only happen right when you add the card(s), and only in the widget, in your inventory it will always just be that one single row for that specific card.

I'm getting two lines added about 50% of the time (same edition, same condition, same language). For some reason, seems to happen with uncommon (silver) cards more frequently than other colors?

Durette wrote:

I'm getting two lines added about 50% of the time (same edition, same condition, same language). For some reason, seems to happen with uncommon (silver) cards more frequently than other colors?

Do you have an example in your inventory?

NullParameter wrote:
Durette wrote:

Do you have an example in your inventory?

Next time it happens, I'll take some screenshots and post...

If it helps, the last two it happened to me for were:

Curse of Thirst        12-Jan-2013 20:09
Strangleroot Geist           12-Jan-2013 20:10

I agree with the original post. Adding cards (especially ones that already exist in my inventory) is more confusing than it used to be.

One of the confusing parts is adding multiples of a card at once. As DoctorUgs said, when adding two copies of a card, it's much more intuitive to add both immediately (by typing the name then entering '2' for quantity) than it is to add the card to my inventory, then modify its quantity. It makes me feel like I have less control over the specifics of what's going into my inventory. Maybe I'll forget to modify the quantity, or maybe my internet will go out and I'll be stuck only halfway through, and have to remember to go back and modify the quantity of that card.

I don't like that the card auto-adds itself when I click on a card suggestion. I don't like that there's no Add/Apply/Save button (until after the card is added). Adding cards should be something I am sure of -- a black-or-white transaction that is either completed because I told it to complete, or not completed at all. I do not like being unsure about this sort of thing. It is not an auto-completed web search; it is a 100% accurate reflection of my card collection. I do not want the system to guess what I want to do when I click on a card suggestion even if it's right 95% of the time, because that other 5% is nerve-wracking.

For now I have resorted to the 'Card list' add functionality.

P.S. I also miss the auto-suggestion link reminding me to sort by 'Last added'. I always want to sort cards by that when I am adding, and without the reminder appearing, I often forget and start thinking that my cards didn't actually add when I don't see them appear at the top of my inventory.