Topic: [Opinion][Advice]American Gisela

I could use some help and I hate to admit that.  I'm started playing back in '95 and then I stopped back in '01.  Now I'm playing again and my deckbuilding is weak.
I'm thinking about playing this http://deckbox.org/sets/294403 deck at FnM.  I accept mockery...few support my use of Gisela, but I love her as I loved Razia in my short lived return during the first Ravnica block.
I would seriously appreciate any comments about the deck.
I can link my other option, it's selesnya aggro

Re: [Opinion][Advice]American Gisela

I think you'll find that Gisela is too slow for most competitive events.  That's likely why most people hate on her.

Overall, I believe you have potential here.  Champion of the Parish is still very popular with RW human decks.  In order to maximize on its triggered ability, consider replacing Lingering Souls with Gather the Townsfolk. Of course, if running tokens, you really want Intangible Virtue to give them a buff and vigilance.

Because the pace of the game is so fast at my LGS (we have a number of high-ranked players in our State who love to pull {when things go right} T3 and T4 wins), I switched from RW humans to mono-red aggro with goblins.  It's not nabbed me high rankings at most FNM events, but is has kept me from finishing at the bottom of the barrel.

If you believe it is likely that you will get seven mana for Gisela, you should at least ponder whether or not Akroma's Memorial might be a better way to spend that mana.

Best of luck! Let us know what you end up with, and how it works out.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

May want to consider use of Aurelia, the Warleader from the new Gatecrash set if you are just plain having too much trouble getting out Gisela.  Cheaper cost and amazing synergy with....attacking.

HikingStick wrote:

I think you'll find that Gisela is too slow for most competitive events.  That's likely why most people hate on her.

Overall, I believe you have potential here.  Champion of the Parish is still very popular with RW human decks.  In order to maximize on its triggered ability, consider replacing Lingering Souls with Gather the Townsfolk. Of course, if running tokens, you really want Intangible Virtue to give them a buff and vigilance.

I run Intangible Virtue in my populate deck.  It's great but a waste in this deck, too many other things going on just for a possible 12 tokens.  The reality is that I will only get 4 to 8 tokens out at best.  If I had more token production, it would be there.  I was running Gather the Townsfolk and thought I'd try Lingering Souls.  Playtesting showed I need to put it back, the flying pings weren't nearly as effective as buffing the champion.

HikingStick wrote:

If you believe it is likely that you will get seven mana for Gisela, you should at least ponder whether or not Akroma's Memorial might be a better way to spend that mana.

Believe it or not, Friday, I almost always had enough mana to drop Gisela.  And I did every time I had it.  I only have one memorial and I don't feel like buying more, but it's a great card for sure

HikingStick wrote:

Best of luck! Let us know what you end up with, and how it works out.

I went 2-2.  My losses were my fault, I had 6 mana, played Sublime Archangel with a counterflux in my hand, guy top decked entreat the angels and threw out 5, didn't have the one mana I needed to counter it and lost because of that. Another time I drew 3 mana in my hand and that was all I drew rest of the game.  The other match was a red/white human aggro, it just mooved waaay too fast.

morningstar1978 wrote:

May want to consider use of Aurelia, the Warleader

And Gisela, you meant and Gisela lol