Re: [GTC] Gatecrash - LIMITED REVIEW

TehAuthor wrote:

Soul ransom doesn't make the opponent get the creature back, it's just sacced and the opponent loses 2 cards while you get 2 cards. I feel it's great card advantage while dealing with the biggest threat on the table macar un 3 merita.

the owner of the sacrificed creature gets the 2 cards.

I'm sorry to say but i think you undervalued a few cards. Allow me to make a few changes.

Corpse Blockade
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sv4ncxwwk9_en.jpg

2,0 – Only now did I notice there might be a common Defender cycle of 1 / 4’s in GTC.  The white one had extort and was good in Orzhov, the blue one was underpowered but had evolve to grow a little and now we have this defender which I think, it will turn out to be pretty good. Blocking 3/3, 2/3, 2/4 etc and being able to kill those creatures from time to time is relevant enough to play these guys in the most grindiest decks out there (looking at Orzhov but Dimir isn’t known for its short games either)

This is an easy 2.5/3. This card is a must have in any dimir deck that wants to survive against aggro, or extort deck that plays cheap extort creatures useless in endgame. This card increases the value of all your shitty 1 drops in late game.

Crypt Ghast
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/5atfjinpng_en.jpg

1.5  – This guy is good but don’t be fooled by its power in constructed. In limited is not where his playground lies. He’s just a bear that ramps you a bit. Not sure if he can be on par with other for drops in the format that have better stats for limited. His ramp will only be relevant from time to time and since you won’t be playing mono-black any time soon then maybe he will just ramp with just 2-3 mana at most. I don’t think I would play this card if my deck doesn’t have at least one or two 6-7 drop.

Biggest bomb enabler in the set. Did i mention it feeds Extort decks plenty of mana to get that extort going?
Easy 2.5 . By turn 5 you can drop 5-6-7 mana dudes or multiple activations of other abilities like guildmages and whatnot.

Horror of the Dim
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/yuaehtzaoy_en.jpg

1.0 – Seems like that Rubbleback Rhino we had a set ago wasn’t ok leveled in power and Wizards decided to make a black one that requires activation cost for hexproof. I don’t think I would play this card because of its not so great stats on a 5 drop. He can just fill some role from time to time. Best thing to do with it is to enchant it with some ridiculous enchantment because he is I think, the only hexproof-er of the set. Hexproof on demand that is, for one U.

Are you frikkin kidding me? a 3/4 removal resistant cipher target that is common?
This is worth a 2.0 at least. Will be a solid pick in all dimir decks.

Dimir Charm
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qrevu051ek_en.jpg

0.5 – The Dimir Charm is very bad for Limited. I’ve looked at all abilities a couple of times but they just don’t seem to click for limited. There aren’t many sorceries around in limited, Creatures with power 2 or less that are relevant for the long game are already in Dimir’s colors so playing a mirror is not a real chance in draft and in Sealed you will just prefer to play a better card. Also, selecting one of the 4 cards in either yours or your opponents library does not seem that good because it does not cantrip. You will hate it that its card disadvantage. I feel this card is worse than Rakdos Charm in limited.

Bullshit, removal part is perfect for simic bombs and cheap evolve creatures. Also boros early game. The counter to sorcery part is good against certain sorcery bombs, but this charm is an easy 2.0 worth. It's god damn removal.

Duskmantle Guildmage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hxxrj1a4b7_en.jpg

1.0 – This Guildmage is much more better in constructed where it can be build around him, just like Vizkopa Guildmage of the Orzhov Guild. His abilities are really underwhelming in limited and they are overcosted for what a limited player can afford. It seems silly for a mill strategy to start chopping the opponents life total but if that’s how you decided to settle for your strategy then good luck. Maybe with grind cards his first ability can finish the opponent much faster but that’s a matter of chance and not of skill. I won’t play this mage in limited that often. If he would have granted unblockability for UB it would have been good for limited. His second ability is just too expensive for what it does…8 mana – mill 4 every turn.(too slow)

Another undervalued card. Combine this card with the Ramp shade and win by turn 8.
Easy 2.0/2.5.

Soul Ransom
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/v1n9eq8w2g_en.jpg

2.0– Soul Ransom is weaker than Mind Control in Limited because it gives your opponent the chance to get his creature back much more easier. Even if his hand is empty when you steal his creature, he will get to draw two cards (most of the time lands) and dump them in the grave as fast as lightning just to get his/her bomb back. I’m afraid this ain’t gonna be a good maindeck card. I requires a lot of discard and the opponent to play enough bombs to be relevant.

I think you didn't read this card. Read it again.... again..... and one more time. 4 Mana mind control. If opponent discards 2 cards, the creature dies BUT THE MIND CONTROL OWNER DRAWS 2.
4.0 Score. Easy.

nightride wrote:
TehAuthor wrote:

Soul ransom doesn't make the opponent get the creature back, it's just sacced and the opponent loses 2 cards while you get 2 cards. I feel it's great card advantage while dealing with the biggest threat on the table macar un 3 merita.

the owner of the sacrificed creature gets the 2 cards.

Pisi citeste mai bine cartea, in momentul in care este sacced to esti the owner deci tu ai un card advantage de 4 carti

http://pwp.wizards.com/5107146130/Scorecards/Landscape.png

Explici te rog la ce te referi când spui că o carte/ghildă/un deck sunt grindy/grindiest?

I think you didn't read this card. Read it again.... again..... and one more time. 4 Mana mind control. If opponent discards 2 cards, the creature dies BUT THE MIND CONTROL OWNER DRAWS 2.
4.0 Score. Easy.

creatura nu moare, enchantul e sacrificat. deci 4 mana, draw 2 cards, maybe keep a creature for 1-2 turns.

@Ionut: adevarat, n-am citit bine Soul Ransom, my bad. Totusi, voi ziceti ca se sacrifica creatura. Eu citesc ca se sacrifica enchant-ul. Poate gresesc...Cele 2 carti pe care le tragi sunt destul de relevante insa in cele mai multe cazuri cartea asta va fi ceva de genul 2UB: target opponent discards two cards, you draw two cards care este o carte buna dar nu 4.0. I'as da maxim 3.0 dupa reevaluare.
DACA intradevar se sacrifica si creatura atunci da, 4.0 e minim pentru carte.
Cat despre Dimir charm si Guildmage chiar nu pot spune ca sunt foarte atragatori in limited. La guildmage imi retrag parte din ce am zis. 2/2 Bear with 2 abilities is more potent than other bears. Merita minim 2.5. Dimir charm e destul de enervant ca abilititatile nu sunt atat de bune in limited ca la alte charm-uri. Poate am exagerat cu nota aceea dar m-a dezamagit mult ca si concept (pentru limited). Acel 2 power conditioneaza mult si nu omoara multe de la Simic, Gruul sau Orzhov. Mi se pare bun contra alt Dimir deck si poate contra Boros (desi am vazut multi 3 power guys la Boros). Nu stiu sa evaluez cartea inca. Vedem dupa ce jucam cu ea.

@Benczi: Thrull este o bomba. Dupa cum vezi si Conley i-a dat o nota foarte mare si a motivat bine. 4/4 nu e mic deloc si upside-ul e destul de relevant pentru limited (e card advantage 80% din timp). Pe langa toate astea, are si extort.
Despre removal pot spune ca ar trebui cam toate echilibrate la un 3.0 dar asta a fost prima mea impresie. Smite l-am supraevaluat pentru ca m-am gandit din punct de vedere la Orzhov iar Killing glare din cauza ca Black decks vor ajunge mai des in late game. Enchant-ul de -x/-x ai zis ca e bun cu Thrull care e rara. Hai sa ne gandim totusi la situatii mai des intalnite. La pre-release vor avea toti Orzhov guys cate un Thrull dar mai departe ma indoiesc. E foarte bun cu mill si cam atat. Poate pe late late game in alte circumstante...
Cat despre Power-ul rarelor de prerelease le-as pune asa:

DIMIR > GRUUL > BOROS > ORZHOV > SIMIC

Removal beats card advantage most of the time.

Oricum, multumesc pentru pareri baieti. E nevoie de pareri mai multe pentru a se ajunge la o situatie finala a acestor carti. Sunt multe carti la care imi voi schimba parerea in doar cateva zile. Ba chiar mi-am schimbat deja la o parte din ele dupa cum am scris mai sus. Discutand cu altii afli mai multe pareri si astfel poti dezvolta o parere mult mai obiectiva despre fiecare carte in parte.
De exemplu, nu m-am gandit bine cand am evaluat Denizen-ul de alb. Privit din perspectiva Boros ar merita minim un 3.0. E o mini-bomba in Boros.deck asa ca retrag parte din ce am zis despre el.

Last edited by TudorGrigoroaia (2013-01-24 09:38:26)

http://pwp.wizards.com/3213663536/Scorecards/Landscape.png

Ionut wrote:

I'm sorry to say but i think you undervalued a few cards. Allow me to make a few changes.

Soul Ransom
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/v1n9eq8w2g_en.jpg

2.0– Soul Ransom is weaker than Mind Control in Limited because it gives your opponent the chance to get his creature back much more easier. Even if his hand is empty when you steal his creature, he will get to draw two cards (most of the time lands) and dump them in the grave as fast as lightning just to get his/her bomb back. I’m afraid this ain’t gonna be a good maindeck card. I requires a lot of discard and the opponent to play enough bombs to be relevant.

4.0 Score. Easy.

From WIzards FAQ:

Soul Ransom

Enchantment — Aura
Enchant creature
You control enchanted creature.
Discard two cards: Soul Ransom's controller sacrifices it, then draws two cards. Only any opponent may activate this ability.

Only an opponent of Soul Ransom's controller can activate its last ability.

In most cases, you'll enchant a creature controlled by an opponent, which will cause you to gain control of that creature. Any of your opponents can activate the last ability of Soul Ransom by discarding two cards. When that ability resolves, you'll sacrifice Soul Ransom and draw two cards.

-- Still 3.5-4.0 easy! smile)

Last edited by benczi (2013-01-24 10:03:42)

Vlad wrote:

Explici te rog la ce te referi când spui că o carte/ghildă/un deck sunt grindy/grindiest?

Sunt slow as F... si tind sa castige cel mai des in Late game. Trag de timp pana cand ajung la win-con sau drain-uiesc viata adversarului incetul cu incetul. Asta e strategia Orzhov. Suge cate 1 viata incetul cu incetul pana castiga jocul. Uneori mai joaca si cate o bomba ca sa tina masa pe loc sau ca sa castige cu ea.

Sacrifici enchantmentul. 100% sigur "Soul Ransom's controller sacrifices IT". Anyway...Sorcery, opp discards 2, you draw 2 la 4 mana(asta e cel mai prost mod) e foarte bun, e Divination+Mind Rot. E probabil sa nu aiba sa dea discard la 2 carti si trebuie sa stea 2 ture fara sa joace ceva. Ala e value all the way.
4.0 de la mine. Minim 3.5

NEEDS MOAR JACE...
http://pwp.wizards.com/3213663561/Scorecards/Landscape.png

Din prima tre sa va anunt ca sunt un pic mai critic cu evaluarea acestei parti si se pare ca avem opinii diferite dar asta este un lucru buna pana la ruma.

Death's Approach - Consider ca aceasta carte este un removal decent. La o singura mana chiar ok zic eu (in limited). Din cauza ca limited are multe creaturi din care cateva o sa si moare consider ca este un -3/-3 pt 1 mana care este bun. Faptul ca poate sa fie si mai bun doar ridica valoare. Intr-adevar daca nu ai ucis nici o creatura adversarului (prin combat.... nu neaparat prim 8-9 removal smile ) atunci nu te ajuta.. dar atunci oricum ai probleme smile. Faptul ca e enchantment poate sa fie si negativ (bounce) dar poate sa fie si pozitiv daca ne gandim ca uneori vrei macar sa incetinesti o creatura cu evasion pana cand rezolvi ceva.

Devour Flesh - 3.. nu prea cred. Daca adversarul are o singura creatura sau esti foarte agresiv...da e bun... in rest...nu nu e bun. Va sacrifica ceva total nesemnificativ (poate ceva chiar cu un echanment pe ea) sau poate va folosi de partea cu life gain. Devine mai bun cu cat ai mai mult removal in deck dar e situational...si orice carte situationala ...e situationala

Dying Wish - nu e bomba..evident..dar nici 0. Pentru 2-4 drain eu zic ca merge. Daca pui pe ceva maricel e chiar bun evident, dar si daca pui pe ceva cu damage dar fragil ca si Syndicate Enforcer (daca adversarul nu are un 1/4 evident) incat daca da damage e bine.. daca moare tot e bine...e situational...dar nu 0

Gutter Skulk - nu am numarat cate 2 drops sunt pt combinatii de negru (am numarat sunt practic 6 din care doar 2 necomune) si nu stiu cat de rapid va fi formatul dar a bear is a bear si 2 drops are important

Horror of the Dim desi in sine nu este foarte bun cartea (3/4 pt 5 mana) esti sigur ca hexproof-ul nu este important cand ai atatea echantment si removal in set?

Cum a ajuns Killing Glare la 4 cand Grisly Spectacle este 3? Corect anumite creaturi ucide mai usor.. dar altele mai greu (pt mai multa mana). Iar cu cate artefact-creature avem in set downside-ul nu cred ca este chiar relevant la Spectacle.

Shadow Alley Denizen -Gaining intimidate is relevant but I don’t feel is good for the black decks this time around

- pacat ca negru nu are un mechanic care sa profite de evasion sau macar de era jucat cu alte culori care au echamenturi cum este alb sau albastru....mare pacat

Call of the Nightwing - e bun.. dar poate nu chiar asa de bun

Soul Ransom - temporal removal or massive card advantage...good in my book

Dimir charm - situational removal (lots of 1/x-s vezi evolve si defendere), practic 0 counter.. si probabil un mic time walk incat poti sa pui ceva pe top care sa nu-l ajuta

Aritcol in continuare fain... unde-i urmatorul ? smile

Spoook wrote:

Cum a ajuns Killing Glare la 4 cand Grisly Spectacle este 3? Corect anumite creaturi ucide mai usor.. dar altele mai greu (pt mai multa mana).

..poate fi splashuit, pe cand Killing Glare nu. asta intr-un format cu 1000 de culori e important tongue

true... true....

Spoook wrote:

Din prima tre sa va anunt ca sunt un pic mai critic cu evaluarea acestei parti si se pare ca avem opinii diferite dar asta este un lucru buna pana la ruma.

Death's Approach - Consider ca aceasta carte este un removal decent. La o singura mana chiar ok zic eu (in limited). Din cauza ca limited are multe creaturi din care cateva o sa si moare consider ca este un -3/-3 pt 1 mana care este bun. Faptul ca poate sa fie si mai bun doar ridica valoare. Intr-adevar daca nu ai ucis nici o creatura adversarului (prin combat.... nu neaparat prim 8-9 removal smile ) atunci nu te ajuta.. dar atunci oricum ai probleme smile. Faptul ca e enchantment poate sa fie si negativ (bounce) dar poate sa fie si pozitiv daca ne gandim ca uneori vrei macar sa incetinesti o creatura cu evasion pana cand rezolvi ceva.

Devour Flesh - 3.. nu prea cred. Daca adversarul are o singura creatura sau esti foarte agresiv...da e bun... in rest...nu nu e bun. Va sacrifica ceva total nesemnificativ (poate ceva chiar cu un echanment pe ea) sau poate va folosi de partea cu life gain. Devine mai bun cu cat ai mai mult removal in deck dar e situational...si orice carte situationala ...e situationala

Dying Wish - nu e bomba..evident..dar nici 0. Pentru 2-4 drain eu zic ca merge. Daca pui pe ceva maricel e chiar bun evident, dar si daca pui pe ceva cu damage dar fragil ca si Syndicate Enforcer (daca adversarul nu are un 1/4 evident) incat daca da damage e bine.. daca moare tot e bine...e situational...dar nu 0

Gutter Skulk - nu am numarat cate 2 drops sunt pt combinatii de negru (am numarat sunt practic 6 din care doar 2 necomune) si nu stiu cat de rapid va fi formatul dar a bear is a bear si 2 drops are important

Horror of the Dim desi in sine nu este foarte bun cartea (3/4 pt 5 mana) esti sigur ca hexproof-ul nu este important cand ai atatea echantment si removal in set?

Cum a ajuns Killing Glare la 4 cand Grisly Spectacle este 3? Corect anumite creaturi ucide mai usor.. dar altele mai greu (pt mai multa mana). Iar cu cate artefact-creature avem in set downside-ul nu cred ca este chiar relevant la Spectacle.

Shadow Alley Denizen -Gaining intimidate is relevant but I don’t feel is good for the black decks this time around

- pacat ca negru nu are un mechanic care sa profite de evasion sau macar de era jucat cu alte culori care au echamenturi cum este alb sau albastru....mare pacat

Call of the Nightwing - e bun.. dar poate nu chiar asa de bun

Soul Ransom - temporal removal or massive card advantage...good in my book

Dimir charm - situational removal (lots of 1/x-s vezi evolve si defendere), practic 0 counter.. si probabil un mic time walk incat poti sa pui ceva pe top care sa nu-l ajuta

Aritcol in continuare fain... unde-i urmatorul ? smile

Sunt de acord cu tine la cateva dintre puncte:

Horror of the Dim merita poate cu 0.5 mai mult dar stiu ca in RTR un 3/4 hexproof era borderline playable considerat de marea majoritate a profesionistilor si dupa cum se arata GTC, pare sa fie un format mult mai rapid si cred ca Un 3/4 care poate fi hexproof din cand in cand nu va fi prea bun.
Ideal este sa analizam cartile nu doar luate singular ci si in environmentul in care vor fi folosite.
Daca in RTR power-ul relevant la creaturi era 3 si toughness-ul bun la creaturi era 4 pentru a tine masa, in GTC se schimba putin situatia si power-ul relevant devine 2 prin urmare toughness-ul necesar majoritatii creaturilor va fi 3. Totusi trebuie sa tinem cont de numeroasele creaturi cu evasion din set care chiar daca is 2 power nu pot fi luate in calcul ca pot fi blocate de 3 toughness.

Informatia o am de pe un site de mtg:

I've tabulated the casting cost, power and toughness of all non-rare creatures (and also again for all common creatures) in GTC and both come out with means, medians and modes as follows:

Casting Cost: 3
Power: 2
Toughness: 2

(Compare this to RTR 3.5, 2.5, 3 - no surprise with all those 3/3 centaurs going around)

The upshot of this is 1) GTC is a little faster than RTR and 2) Where as in RTR you wanted a wall with 4 toughness, in GTG you want 3 toughness.

De asemenea sunt de acord cu tine ca Dimir Charm merita putin mai mult. Poate fi chiar 2.0 daca joci contra un deck cu destule creaturi 2/x power dar problema principala e ca power mic vei gasi in special la creaturi de Dimir (defenderi nu sunt foarte multi in GTC, Evolve cresc foarte repede peste 2 power, creaturile gruul sunt recunoscute pentru power mare, iar la Boros sunt multe 3/1, 3/2 relevante)
Despre Soul Ransom am zis deja ca nu am citit bine prima data (nu stiam ca trage si doua carti cand pleaca). Raman totusi la ideea ca merita un 3.0 maxim deoarece este un punisher card care da posibilitatea adversarului sa aleaga varianta mai folositoare pentru el. Daca ii furi creatura cu care te loveste tura de tura va da imediat discard la carti nepasandu-i decat sa iti dea ultimele lovituri. Daca ii furi ceva creatura mai slaba va fi multumit ca nu i-ai furat bomba din deck si probabil o va lasa pe masa. Intotdeauna cand adversarul are de ales (vezi Vexing Devil) cartea va intampina probleme.

Insa, in ceea ce priveste dying wish, call of the nightwing, killing glare, death's approach si denizen de negru tin sa te contrazic putin.

Dying wish este o capcana mare fiindca are un efect dragut la costul unei carti si tine cont ca negru nu este agresiv in acest format. Atat cu albastru cat si cu alb va fi cel mult midrange. Chiar si faptul ca are destui de multi unblockable nu ii da o viteza foarte mare. Dying Wish umple un loc un deck care ar putea fi ocupat de o carte mult mai buna.

Call of the nightwing pare deceptiv de buna fiindca ofera atat attackeri, blockeri cat si purtatori de cipher almost for free each turn. As juca-o in orice deck in care am U si B.

Denizenul de negru ofera evasion la o culoare care deja are din belsug. La ce merita sa joci un 1/1 pentru 1 care da evasion doar din cand in cand in acest format?

Killing Glare merita 4 pentru ca, vorba lui Alex, este mult mai splashuibila, sa ajungi la multa mana nu e foarte greu in formatul asta  si e removal neconditionat de tipul de creatura. Daca creatura adversarului are 5 power or greater, probabil ca vei avea si tu 6 mana sa castezi. Partea faina este ca e instanta.
Edictul respectiv este bun intr-un deck centrat pe negru fiindca vei avea foarte multe removal spells si ii vei subtia mult din numarul de creaturi. Edictul il vei da in situatiile in care iti convine cel mai mult. E tot un soi de punisher card ca si Soul Ransom dar cred ca are elementul de alegere a adversarului mult mai mic. Life gain-ul este aproximativ irelevant in majoritatea deck-urilor incete.

Death's Approach vrea sa fie un removal puternic pentru 1 mana insa pe el scrie clar "late game" si daca reusesti in late game sa dai -2/-2 sau -3/-3 la o creatura este destul de slab. Ti-am zis unde cred ca e buna...in mill.deck

Last edited by TudorGrigoroaia (2013-01-24 13:23:32)

Multumesc ca ai luat timpul ca sa-mi raspunzi. Desi nu o sa joc, ma ajuta mult sa inteleg mai deplin procesul de evaluare si puterea cartilor in contextul actual (context pe care nu-l cunosc bine-nteles asa de bine ca si tine).

TudorGrigoroaia wrote:

Informatia o am de pe un site de mtg:

I've tabulated the casting cost, power and toughness of all non-rare creatures (and also again for all common creatures) in GTC and both come out with means, medians and modes as follows:

Casting Cost: 3
Power: 2
Toughness: 2

(Compare this to RTR 3.5, 2.5, 3 - no surprise with all those 3/3 centaurs going around)

The upshot of this is 1) GTC is a little faster than RTR and 2) Where as in RTR you wanted a wall with 4 toughness, in GTG you want 3 toughness.

Foarte tare. Merci de info.
Cu toate ca e doar in teorie asa simplu - la boros, simic si gruul se schimba rapid situatia..

TudorGrigoroaia wrote:

Consuming Aberration

4.0 – This thing is crazy good in the mill deck. You can have a 20/20 gigantic aberration out there that’s still growing everytime you play a spell. That just does not feel right. Since there is no “exile all cards in a graveyard” card in GTC, this will not ungrow unless you deal with it mano-a-mano. Blocking and trading with it seems impossible after a certain point so there remains kill spells. Be careful to actually kill it because if you just enchant it with something and stop its aggressiveness it will devour your deck with its triggered ability. This is no joke. It will consume you very fast if not dealt with it immediately.

Cartea asta e o aberatie!!! E cea mai buna carte promo, chiar cea mai buna carte din set pt. limited (chiar acolo cu aurelia si furia ei). Frist pick la draft all the time, hate draft it if it's the 3rd pack. E 5.0 minim, dar eu i-as da si 5.5 din 5!!!

TudorGrigoroaia wrote:

Ogre Slumlord

3.5 – It’s very powerful in a black deck. You’ve seen how many removal spells black holds and this one plays well with black deck strategies. You will slow the game so much that your opponent will  feel  it’s impossible for them to win. It’s that incremental advantage that counts for black decks and this a fantastic card for that. It needs support but it is also good on its own. 3/3 for 5 is good enough to be played and that fact that any creature that dies transforms into a token on your side of the field is great.

So true, so true...

Last edited by benczi (2013-01-24 20:31:04)

Post's attachments

beta_draft_2013.01.24_g1.png
beta_draft_2013.01.24_g1.png 1.75 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

PART 4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Am uitat de cartile Hybrid de la Dimir aseara. Le postez acum:

HYBRID DIMIR CARDS:

Coerced Confession
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/t8sia8416y_en.jpg

2.0 – You will want to play this card in a mill deck but it also be good in another type of deck where you might not even have both of Dimir’s Colors. The best part about it in limited is that it will almost always net you a card and sometimes even some more, if played against Gruul or Simic. It is a good hybrid that will see play in some of the most slowest decks around.

Deathcult Rogue
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/j1m7z578aa_en.jpg

3.5 – This dude is the real deal. He can’t be blocked by rogues? How many rogues are there in GTC? If someone can count please do so and tell us but I believe their number is slim and they are situated in the Dimir guild so what about against other colors? It is an unblockable dude, that’s what he is. Play him on turn 3, and start attacking as soon as possible. Remember Vassal Soul? This feels like it’s much better than that card. I expect this card to be one of the most chased common of the set in limited.

Nightveil Specter
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/cxg272cbbg_en.jpg

3.5 – A 2/3 flyer for 3 is more then great. Weird ability that mills and sometimes let you gain card advantage seems awesome. Actually, if the top card of his/her library is a land you can play it on your side of the table and in the turn to come maybe you can get your hands on one of his cards, in his/her colors and play them with the stolen land. So many fun possibilities with this card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RED

Act of Treason
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kwiwruz4m4_en.jpg

2.0 – It’s back and it’s ready for some crack. We just had a Threaten effect in RTR and it was really powerful in most Rakdos decks. Now it is time for Boros and Gruul to have some fun with your creatures. This card will be a card to watch for when playing a bomb on an empty board against a red deck with cards in hand.  It’s not a bomb in itself but be prepared for it to close a lot of games that felt won by the opponent.

Bomber Corps
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4fltpd2024_en.jpg

1.5 – This cards power depends a lot on the number of X/1’s creatures in the format. Dealing 1 to a player can’t justify playing a  1 / 2 for 2 mana but if this can kill many guys in the format it would be great. Sadly, it seems that the average toughness this time around is about 2.0 so this guy will be less relevant. Still, a 2 drop is a 2 drop and in red decks they are more needed than in black decks so I think he’s much better than the 2/2 vanilla Zombie Rat.

Cinder Elemental
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/rz0z2ryydi_en.jpg

3.5 – Fireball on a stick…playable? Very much! This thing seems fragile. The 2/2 body feels rather unsafe but if you manage to crack on the next turn you get yourself a great removal spell that can act as a finisher. Fireball was a sorcery that in most draft formats deserved a 4.0. This one is close behind because it will need at least two turns to make it work.

Crackling Perimeter
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hx9ijcwoe6_en.jpg

0.0  – I would not risk playing with cards like this in limited. It seems rather combo-ish for constructed but in limited is just bad. If it would have said 1 damage to target creature or player than it would have been a clear strategy on its own and a 3.5 the least. Now it’s just unplayable trap card.

Ember Beast
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/g8xjadtkqz_en.jpg

2.5 – Ember beast is like Mogg Flunkies from M13 but feels more at home in this format because of Battalion. I will really enjoy playing these in Boros decks. Even Mogg Flunkies was a good card in M13 limited and this one, being a 3 drop does not change much of its power.

Firefist Striker
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lt2zjov5j5_en.jpg

3.0 – A crazy two-drop for the Boros. This guy is mad and is gonna stop your biggest blocker from doing what he knows best. I would pick these early if I decided on Boros. Its aggressiveness cannot be denied. Even if you don’t get to attack with 3 guys he is still a fine guy that is making math more difficult for the opponent as the game goes long.

Five-Alarm Fire
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/k1xdjk3rp8_en.jpg

3.0  – In limited creatures deal a lot of combat damage. In Boros decks, creatures deal  a hell of a lot more combat damage. You will love to play this turn three. It gives Boros a fine reach for killing that x/5 bomb or firing at the opponent’s face.

Foundry Street Denizen
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/k37kqf0wtl_en.jpg

1.0 – I don’t know about you guys but I’m not sure I would play this guy in my deck. He will be a 2/1 from time to time but for just that he doesn’t deserve to see much play.

Furious Resistance
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0qh1t58pbb_en.jpg

1.0 – Now this is a great blocking trick . It reminds me of the W:target blocker gets +7/+7 a few sets ago. The problem with it is that is too situational with the blocking clause and it belongs to the most aggressive guild out there. It plays against Boros and against Gruul which both want to attack. I still think it’s a decent combat trick that lets Boros’s small guys block a huge Trampling threat on the other side of the board.

Hellkite Tyrant
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/njcdxzejfx_en.jpg

4.0 – This dragon is an easy 4.0. His ability doesn’t do a lot for limited but stealing a Keyrune of Prophetic Prism here and there is fine and the real deal on it is that it is a 6/5 flying, trample for just 6 mana. 6 power for 6 seems bomby-bomb.  When compared to the 8 mana 6/6 dragon from RTR, this one feels a million miles better not ability was but playability-wise since 6 mana for red is much more possible than 8.

Hellraiser Goblin
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3x7y42x6y8_en.jpg

2.0 – I’m sure this guy will be good in some decks but the only one that pops to me right now is Gruul. Gruul has big daddies that have to wait a turn to start attacking. This guy lets gruul have fun from the get go and the only real problem is that you have to win before your opponent can. You need to have bigger threats than your opponent because otherwise this little gobblin will make you lose the game. He is really tricky in grading because he might be an annoying card on your side of the field most of the time.

Homing Lightning
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/e6xrhzmtlt_en.jpg

3.0  - Removal is removal and 4 damage is more than enough for 4 mana. It does not hit the player but in limited you will not care that much about it. The fact that it can get rid of annoying multiple tokens can be relevant but not too often. Espect this card to be good against centaur tokens in the following draft format.

Legion Loyalist
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0xfkhp15jr_en.jpg

2.0 – I’m sure this is one of the better 1 drops in Boros decks but he does not do too much for a deck that plays and abuses small guys. Where he fits is in Gruul but now as a One Drop but as a surprise 3rd creature out of nowhere that gives great advantages to your beasts. Because he is a rare he will no be seen that often but when he will be, I think he’s gonna be in Gruul or Naya Decks, and not just plain Boros.

Madcap Skills
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/trear46frs_en.jpg

1.5 – We all know how good auras have to be in order to be played. The 3/3 for 1R that couldn’t be blocked except by 2 or more creatures from M12 was much better than this one. He deserved a 3.5 in that format. Here we are talking about an Aura that will give a creature a boost of +3/+0 but will let his toughness stay in the 1-2 spot. That is not that great. It can’t be blocked except by two or more creatures but that is fine for your opponent since most of the time you will give 2 cards (creature and the aura) for one of his since if he will block with two dudes at least one of them should be bigger by that time. Played in the early game can degenerate into some fast wins. That’s why I’m not dismissing it as unplayable. A 1-drop turn 1, this turn two and from there on it’s almost GG. 

Mark for Death
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/muzjxjjkqc_en.jpg

3.0 – What a great Flavour for this card. It not only acts as removal but also as a finisher. Basically you make all your dudes unblockable for a turn except for one of them . It will most likely be that your opponent will chump with the dude you untapped or targeted one of your bigger threats in order not to die. This card goes smoothly into all red decks out there be them Boros, Gruul, Naya, WRB.

Massive Raid
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/vye7iil36e_en.jpg

2.5 – Good removal spell for Boros. This time around Boros ain’t kidding. It has so many great tools both creature wise and spell-wise that it will be as or more powerful that Rakdos was in RTR. They’re not joking and this card is certainly something since it hits both players and creatures. Doesn’t seem that good in Gruul but you will play it from time to time for 2-3 damage at most. If you ever get into a stalemate and have this in your hand then I will be pretty sorry for your opponent.

Molten Primordial
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/fn48qunlog_en.jpg

3.5 – 6/4 Haste + your biggest Creature to finish you? Great stuff. It does cost 7 though and in many Boros decks people will pack 16 lands instead of 17 but he does good things in Gruul.  Expect the unexpected with this one. Finishes games on landing most of the time.

Mugging
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/cvv7pamj05_en.jpg

2.5  – Pillar of flame? Or better it seems like Magma Spray with the creature-only clause. Still, cheap and good removal spell it’s here and also lets you get through with your battalion through that 5/5 your opponent has out. Those “can’t block” can be very frustrating to play against. Just when you think you’ve got edge, Boros diminishes you.

Ripscale Predator
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kfpwqssybv_en.jpg

2.5 – 6/5 for 6 with Madcap clause. Well, this one is much better than the enchantment on its own but it does suffer from high mana cost syndrome. Though, still a potent beater to get especially for the Gruul deck. The can’t be blocked except by two creatures can be relevant when your opponent has just one guy out but in other situations your opponents will put two creatures in front of it even if it did not have that part of text.

Scorchwalker
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/t3sy7hufd1_en.jpg

2.5 – I would play this scorchwalker in Boros and in Gruul but this card screams “play me as a Bloodrush trick, ONLY”. He’s surprisingly good when you can +5/+1 your creature for 3 mana. It’s a 5 extra damage to face for just 3 mana when your little 2/1 is not blocked. This will make blocking an important decision both when playing against Gruul and Boros.

Skinbrand Goblin
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/nzxwjej2xg_en.jpg

2.0 – Tough little guy over here. His face says it all. “Do not underestimate me”. He is a 2 drop in the most aggressive color and can get Haste if you just need to get 2 more damage in.

Skullcrack
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/jpf5qzipuk_en.jpg

1.5  – Good limited card but great constructed card. Although I’m not a big fan of fast games, this card does that pretty well. In limited you will not find yourself wanting this card that often but in hyper aggressive decks it’s welcomed.

Structural Collapse
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hobhkezyjj_en.jpg

0.0 – Now this is unplayable for sure. 6 mana for letting your opponent choose what to sac when it comes to lands feels pretty bad in limited. The 2 damage it gives to the player and the “destroy artifact” part ain’t gonna make it any better.

Tin Street Market
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zpg0dfq8wh_en.jpg

0.5 – Five mana is a bit too much for this effect. This is a sideboard card that will be better in 4-5 color decks that will emerge at one point, be it in this format or the next.

Towering Thunderfist
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sufw94jfuw_en.jpg

2.5 – Hill Giant with upside for just W. Sign me up for this one if I’m playing Boros or Naya. 4/4 are great stats for a red creature and at 5 mana he is very much playable in limited. Be sure to get those into your deck as often as possible. Also splashable for 4-5 color control decks in the not so distant future.

Viashino Shanktail
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/v092k7o543_en.jpg

2.5 – The Viashino is tricky because it has that small toughness but as we’ve seen more cards there are so many that deal 1 damage to target creature and frankly that doesn’t matter so much since he won’t see the battlefield all that often. He is better as a combat trick, I feel. One of the best combat tricks that gruul has to offer.

Warmind Infantry
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0tnqrwbo5o_en.jpg

3.0 – 2/3 for 3 that becomes 4/3 on battalion. Mark me impressed. The valuable lesson we’ve learned the last day is that 2/3’s are kings in GTC limited. Well, this one can block and be really offensive at given times.

Wrecking Ogre
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/bwmny93p22_en.jpg

4,0 – This rare is nuts. He does feel like a true bomb for the Boros deck since at 5-mana is where the deck wants to top and it does that great with +3/+3 AND DOUBLE STRIKE. Give that to your random 2/1 or 3/1 And get 10-12 damage out of one creature. That is crazy for the deck. It is great in Gruul also with all the trample lying around. Double red on the effect makes it less playable in Simic strategies but could be good there also with enough fixing.

BOROS :

Here we are, discussing Boros. It is my least favourite guild by far, but it seems that is probably the best, power-wise speaking in the whole Ravnica. I think that at this moment I hate Rakdos more but in the few months I’m sure the demons and devils will feel like puppets when compared to Boros. This guild has so many good cards in it that I feel it will be very hard not to play Boros when you see one of them. The thing is, there aren’t many aggressive guilds in GTC so maybe the drafters will have to dilute its power by choosing Boros in multiples and therefore will leave open opportunities for other guilds such as with Izzet or Golgari in RTR.

Basically, only good things can be said about this guild and that’s because you can put together the following:

A)  many early creature drops (1-3 preferably)
B)  combat tricks (pumpers, stop the blockers, threaten effects)
C)  high quality low cost removal and direct damage
D)  1-2 Big boys that stems the bleeding and gives the final blow

Assemble the Legion
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/rldznvbkbx_en.jpg

4.0  – Assemble the Legion is pretty bomby in itself. It calls for a bit longer games but that’s fine. Boros needs to have something for the late game. It enables Battalion in a pinch and just after 3-4 turns with it on the table the game will definitely be over if the opponent does not find a way to deal with it and the tokens. I guess against this card it seems legit to play Illness in the Ranks which completely nullifies it but since Illness in the Ranks is at most a sideboard you will get to win many games with this enchantment. It is good in every deck that can afford WR cost.

Aurelia, the Warleader
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/n4l84yaowd_en.jpg

4.5 – She is as strong as she seems. Every guild leader is a beast in limited up till now but she seems to have a bit more edge on the others.  When you play her, you should be able to win the game on the same turn but if you fail to do so there’s no problem since you will have two attack steps on the next turn also.

Aurelia's Fury
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/72iagzis13_en.jpg

4.5 – Fantastic Fireball variant. Good in control, good in aggro, good in almost everything that can afford the WR part of the cost. It is amazing and I don’t think I have to comment more on it. It might not be Bonfire level which I believe was a 5.0 on every scale there is.

Boros Charm
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/yo8hf6s3w3_en.jpg

4.0 – Best charm of them all by far. In constructed it will rock the format more than any other GTC card and in limited it will have a good role also. 4 damage to the face, instant speed? Awesome. Think you’re trading with my guys? Think again, indestructible. It’s ok that my 5/5 got through? Double strike him. So many possibilities with just one card. Play it, it won’t disappoint.

Firemane Avenger
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/27agtdswcs_en.jpg

3.5 – I love this angel. Actually it is the only Boros card I do like from the set. I’m not into aggressive decks all that much but this thing does something very good and it does it with style. Lightning Helix on every Battalion attack? If that ain’t enough advantage on a stick than I’m not sure what it is. 3/3 flying for just 4 mana is amazing and its ability is super relevant.

Fortress Cyclops
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sc923hfr03_en.jpg

3.0 – This is one incredible uncommon. You need it to attack? You need to block? Crazy at both. Certainly a really good limited card. Pick is wisely.

Foundry Champion
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/9wstmvlpdq_en.jpg

3.5 – Boros’s prerelease card is actually deceivingly powerful since it acts as both a removal spell and a huge attacker. It is a great card to draft also, even though it’s 6 mana.

Martial Glory
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/6xuylzeiye_en.jpg

2.0 – This combat trick could have been much better if it acted like a removal spell also. Like this it is much weaker than Agony Warp that it tries to mirror but still playable in some decks.

Ordruun Veteran
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/a36xolka4g_en.jpg

2.0 – I’m not particularly impressed by this guy. I know he will be double strike a lot of the time but he feels a lot like that 4 mana 3/1 from SOM block that gained double strike on metalcraft. Does not feel strong enough to warrant the uncommon mark. Maybe double strike isn’t used that much at common. And, when he does attack with other guys he is basically gonna trade with 4/4’s or bigger creatures.

Skyknight Legionnaire
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/cbg48u45g6_en.jpg

2.5 – Fine card. Should see as much play as he saw in Ravnica:City of Guilds. Definitely a fan favorite to return in this block and besides that almost everyone is criticizing the art, the card enables Battalion, has evasion and does what Boros wants most.

Spark Trooper
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1nyz690klp_en.jpg

3.0 – The life swing here is definitely important. Ball lightning was a good card but the triple red would have been pretty bad in boros. As it is , I like it more for limited and that Lifelink tapped on it means a lot. Coupled with a crazy bloodrush card, this one can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time.

Sunhome Guildmage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0nce6kkxuw_en.jpg

3.5 – Good bear with great upsides. This Guildmage feels much better than the Dimir or Orzhov one as he can enable Battalion pretty good, make all your creatures bigger, which is more relevant for double strikers,  and kick the opponents ass on its own.

Truefire Paladin
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lmjzkisdor_en.jpg

3.5 – This guy seems even more powerful then the guildmage at certain times. If you have enough mana you can make it a 6/2 and give in first strike to kill almost anything and survive. Talk about overpowered Boros.

Wojek Halberdiers
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/j4bdoldrkz_en.jpg

2.5 – Now this is what Boros calls a common. We just had a 3/2 for 2 mana in Rakdos (Gore-house Chainwalker) that could not block and was vanilla. This one not only does it block but it also gains first strike on Battalion. Best 2 drop for Boros by a mile and will be drafting accordingly. A deck with 2-3 of these is bound to be very aggressive and win matches in the first turns.

Arrows of Justice
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/fjb3f1fhtk_en.jpg

3.0 – Great removal spell, both for white guilds and for red guilds but it could easily find itself splashed for other Simic or Dimir. A card that deals 4 damage to a creature for 3 mana isn’t something to look down on. Even with its small downside it is still a very powerful common. Be ready to face it in limited.

Boros Reckoner
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hxyzo9fn7v_en.jpg

3.5 – Great build for Boros or Gruul here. It works fantastic with bloodrush but it also feels strong as hell in Boros decks. Maindeck him and first pick every time you see him. He’s that good. He’s less bomby than other Boros threats but don’t think he’s not good.

Shattering Blow
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/7qd529r6rd_en.jpg
0.5 – Sideboard card, pretty obvious from the get go. He’s gonna make some keyrunes go to heaven but not great to tell here. Will be sided only against crazy artifact cards from the set or from all over the block in next few months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------END OF PART 4

Last edited by TudorGrigoroaia (2013-01-24 22:53:12)

Foarte misto review!

Tin Street Market primeste +1.0 din partea mea, devreme ce in sealed nu vei avea deckul Boros (/Gruul?) ultra-agresiv (mai degraba mid-range-ish) si chiar si in draft nu va fi intotdeauna posibil, iar incepand cu landul #5 chiar nu mai ai ce face cu landuri aditionale. Este chiar binevenita cartea sa mai ofere ultima sansa de a iesi din flood sau pentru a gasi un bloodrush/burn pentru a termina inainte sa intoarca oponentul jocul cu bomby-bomb-ul sau tongue
Chiar si asa, iti dau dreptate, nu o voi alege in locul unei creaturi bune sau un burn spell, ci mai degraba ca si cartea #23

Pentru ca mi-a fost cerut de mai multa lume, am modificat notele la cartile Mono-colore pentru a da cate o nota facand diferenta intre ghildele in care pot fi jucate. Prin urmare, pentru cei interesati de nota/ghilda pot sa se uite la notele acordate in cele ce urmeaza:

WHITE

Aerial Maneuver

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/s2blzt60xg_en.jpg

Boros: 1.5 , Orzhov:1.5 – the [CARD]Swift Justice[/CARD] of sorts of the Set. Every set nowadays has one like this and actually they see play quite a lot. In AVR, [CARD]Zealous Strike[/CARD] was a very good combat trick and so was [CARD]Moment of Heroism[/CARD] in Innistrad. This will not make the deck 100% of the time, but at times, when  you need that 23rd card this might be the best candidate for it. It is a decent combat trick and the fact that it gives the creature flying can act as a finisher, especially in Boros decks.

Angelic Edict

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qxev1gcz8k_en.jpg

Boros: 2 , Orzhov:3.5 – Removal is removal whether it is expensive or not and unconditional removal might just make the cut in every white deck you will play and because it makes such a good splash it will find itself even in non-Boros, non-Orzhov decks with a Gate or two behind it.  I haven’t  looked yet at the entire’s set removal, but if the removal is weak then Angelic Edict will be a sought after limited card even thought is just a Sorcery Speed one. Sometimes you just have to get rid of those pesky utility, flying or unblockable guys (which we will see, are quite relevant in the set)

Angelic Skirmisher

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/geydrm7hlb_en.jpg

Boros: 3.5 , Orzhov:3.0 – We don’t know the speed of this format but seeing that only Boros is truly aggressive with Gruul making a distant second such powerful rares are welcomed most of the time. If you open one of these you know you want to play white. This is its power on the player. A 4/4 Flying for 6 mana with big upside, well that’s what we call a limited bomb nowdays. Remember that its ability can be activated during each combat, not only during your own so you can actually choose vigilance while attacking and first strike while blocking on the subsequent turn. Not much to hate about this card except the double white in the cost which actually does make the card playable only in white based decks, but maybe with the release of DGM we will have 5 color draft decks everywhere and this one will be a star.

Assault Griffin

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/t4d32of3hb_en.jpg

Boros: 3.0 , Orzhov:2.0 – Solid flyer that in the perfect deck can make games end quickly. I think its best place in GTC is in Boros but he can also play defense/offense in Orzhov decks at certain times.  Three power flyers usually have mana cost of 4 or greater and seeing this one at only 4 and being splashable makes every drafter happy to pick it if the decision is to go the aggressive route.

Basilica Guards

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/5htsd44dbw_en.jpg

Boros: 1.0 , Orzhov:3.0 – Now this card is actually an enabler. If you want to play the Orzhov deck you need to have creatures like this. It does everything you want and more. 1 / 4 stats are quite good at 3 mana and the fact that it extorts is just a bonus that can make the card a rightful finisher in the Orzhov deck. Holding down the Boros attackers is something this card does very well and if I plan on playing the long game, I will always try to find it a place in the deck.

Blind Obedience

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h7rblgpvzo_en.jpg

Boros: 3.0 , Orzhov:2.0 – This card might have a place in constructed but In limited it is quite underwhelming. The impact on the board is minimum when it lands and it server little to no purpose in the Orzhov deck since it will cost you a card in the deck and can’t act as defense. This is not a limited intended card but since it’s a rare that’s really ok because we won’t see it that often in boosters.

Boros Elite

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/mshrpl53qw_en.jpg

Boros: 2.5 , Orzhov:0.5 – I don’t know how to rate 1 drops in limited because they are usually so rarely useful. This one, as an attacker will most of the time have great stats and therefore I think he will make the cut in every Boros-all In deck there will be. This is no [CARD]Rakdos Cackler[/CARD], it can block when needed and can serve as a battalion trouper as soon as turn 3 when you can have 3 creatures on the battlefield. Seeing as it’s one of the only one drops in Boros, he might just be the piece that binds Boros wining decks in the early turns of the game.

Court Street Denizen

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/x6xmjttbf0_en.jpg

Boros: 3.0 , Orzhov:1.0 – repeatable tap ability on a 2/2 is definitely something that will see play in limited, especially in a heavy white deck (coupled with red most of the time because the cards is offensive) but since it is a 2/2 for 3 most of the time I don’t think people will look at it in the first 1-6 picks in draft. We will have to see how many white aggressive creatures there are in the format in order to clearly upgrade or downgrade this one.

Daring Skyjek

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lwwem5osbd_en.jpg

Boros: 3.0 , Orzhov:1.0  – This one I actually see it played in all Boros decks and along Court Street Denizen when it’s possible. A 3/1 for 2 that can turn flying when you’re pushing for the win. Why yes! Although I personally don’t like games that end on the 4-5th turn of the games there are those that love that and Wizards have to please everyone. When going aggressive, this is one of the best 2 drops you can have (I’ll get to the other one when I talk Boros)

Debtor's Pulpit

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ppg16l9mmu_en.jpg

Boros: 1.5 , Orzhov:3.0 – Now I know it’s an enchantment but be careful when reading it because this card can actually help you win games. It is an Orzhov card all the way and will help most Orzhov decks win by stalling forever and ever. You can always stop their biggest attacker or make way for one of yours. All for the cost of just one mana (of course, after you cast it). If I open one of these  I might just try going to long game because it can be fun and I know I have a powerful piece that can help me play a long game. There’s a cycle of Enchant Lands, like in Return to Ravnica, and this one is the only Uncommon of the cycle. That is with good reason, no one would like to play against many of these. They can become a nightmare for the opposing player since it’s hard to get rid of them and they have written on them “you slowly lose the game”

Dutiful Thrull

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/9baoz7lzr2_en.jpg

Boros: 1.0 , Orzhov:2.0 – The Dutiful Thrull is quite Dutiful when you need him, and that’s in an Orzhov deck. Sometimes you just need that guy that can stop the early attackers. He is the best at doing that as long as the creatures of your opponents don’t have trample. It’s an early solution for Orzhov against some Boros or Gruul decks (without too many early tramplers)

Frontline Medic

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h3jgrtb8kb_en.jpg

Boros: 3.5 , Orzhov:1.5 – There’s no excuse to not play this card if you open it Pack1Pick1 and know that you can go the boros route. It can come in handy also if you are already building a Gruul deck and this can make a good splash . It is much better in construced regarding its second ability but in limited you will find that having indestructible attackers feels quite good.

Gideon, Champion of Justice

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ugoh63m1ri_en.jpg

Boros: 4.5 , Orzhov:3.5 – In limited, planeswalkers are kings. Whether they are good or bad as cards overall, in limited you will play almost any planeswalker you get. This one is actually quite good in limited because it can grow itself enourmous with its +1 ability since stalemates are quite common in limited play. You will also have ways to protect him by using your own creatures. The ultimate is quite irrelevant but what actually matters is when you make it a creature and turn in sideways.  It will almost always make your opponents block him and lose a creature because by the time you are attacking with him (be it 1 or 2 turn away after casting him) he will be Large (talking 9/9, 10/10 large).

Guardian of the Gateless
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zza31tx469_en.jpg

Boros: 2.0 , Orzhov:3.0 – This one, I feel it is quite an interesting design since it introduces the Gateless storywise, which will have a greater impact in DGM and as a card itself is nothing to scoff at. A 3/3 Flying for 5 at uncommon is good, but when you read its other abilities you realize that it is intended to be used especially in Orzhov decks and can block 4/4’s and trade with them. The fact that it can block any number of creatures can net you a turn till you find that Sweeper (I know there aren’t many but it is possible)

Guildscorn Ward

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/wf83m20x8i_en.jpg

Boros: 1.0 , Orzhov:0.5    – I will call this card unplayable for now but I’m sure that with DGM it might get some love. There are just not enough multicolored creatures/cards for it to be relevant.  It might be a hidden gem, but as I said, not for DGM but for the set to come where draft is DGM-GTC-RTR.  Don’t play it in GTC limited.

Hold the Gates

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kkxu6rjrst_en.jpg

Boros: 1.5 , Orzhov:2.0    – the number of enchantments in this set is quite big and some of them might be marginally playable but others just have that thing that makes your deck good. This one can be quite useful for Orzhov when they plan on lifedraining and attacking here and there while not leaving themselves vulnerable. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe its just an OK card, not reaching higher grounds but in the perfect Orzhov deck it might have a place as the 22nd, 23rd card.

Holy Mantle

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3k9k1zaa41_en.jpg

Boros: 3.5 , Orzhov:2.5 – Holy Balloney! If this card is used right It can just easily win the game in 2-3 turns tops. With the removal announcing itself slim, this card is a legit bomb at uncommon and will drive your opponents crazy when they can’t deal with it. It’s still and aura that suffers from the same side effects of other auras but its ups are quite bigger that its down so It will se play especially in Boros decks but other strategies such as Esper will love it too since it can also Cipher something onto it and go to town.

Knight of Obligation

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/dktwqdwpom_en.jpg

Boros: 1.5 , Orzhov:2.5 – Knight of Obligation is a good card. I don’t think it should have been an Uncommon since we just had a 2/4 flash vigilance common for 4 in RTR but since it seems like a key role player in Orzhov decks its appearances might have been limited just for that. The extort on it does make this card more relevant since it is also an enabler like the 1 / 4 defender common with extort and together they can stop the attacks and drain each turn for some amount.

Knight Watch

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/oe9csqdmin_en.jpg

Boros: 2.0 , Orzhov:1.5 – This ain’t[CARD]Knightly Valor[/CARD], not close. Valor was a 4.0 common for its ability to make a huge beater while also getting material to populate. Gatecrash does not have populate and few mechanics profit from having more weenies in play, the important one being Battalion which might want something else at 5 mana then 2 2/2 vigilance knights. This one will see play but It won’t help decks to much. It is a plant for DGM-GTC-RTR draft.

Luminate Primordial

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/8xcbfb8ww4_en.jpg

Boros: 2.5 , Orzhov:3.5 – The Primordial cycle is quite good in EDH but is also good in Limited. For 7 mana you get a huge beatstick (4/7 vigilance) and you get to remove the most important threat on the other side of the table. Be sure to first pick that and not regret it. It will not be good in Boros decks but it will shine in Orzhov decks, and since it is quite splashable at 7 mana it can be played in Naya and Esper, three-color combinations that Gatecrash will feature the majority of the time. (more on these later)

Murder Investigation

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/yxtqf1k89d_en.jpg

Boros:1.5 , Orzhov:1.5 – Although it can enable some combos, this card is not what you might think it is. It’s only enchant creature you control – and it suffers from being in the color that does not have many big guys. It might be better with simic/gruul because of the bigger power among creatures but still, it wants to enable battalion but does that very poorly. Maybe it will shine but as the format is still young, it won’t see too much play.

Nav Squad Commandos

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/68bkgffyh7_en.jpg

Boros: 1.5 , Orzhov:2.0 – here we have our first miss on a Battalion card. It is quite underwhelming, it costs a bit too much and the only thing that will make you want to play it in Boros is the fact that it Untaps and the end of combat so that it can block your opponents threats. Maybe I’m not reading it right but in a normal deck it will often be just [CARD]Azors Elecutors[/CARD] or [CARD]Thraben Purebloods[/CARD] which are good yet underwhelming cards.

Righteous Charge

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sbjmlo2ue5_en.jpg

Boros: 2.5 , Orzhov:0.5    – This is a reprint that fills a hole in a Boros deck. It will finish some games before they should be finished but other times ,you will just wish it was an instant so that you can save one of your creatures. In Boros-attack mode is where this card shines but it need at least a full battalion active in order to be a beating and it can be disrupted by removal especially when trying to alpha. Being a sorcery is actually relevant because the opponent will have that gap the answer properly.

Shielded Passage

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/opzfzqn62b_en.jpg

Boros: 0.5 , Orzhov:0.5 – If this cards would have said “Target creature gains protection from chosen color” It would have been good. Stave off was definitely a good card but as this is I do not see myself wanting to play it and whoever does play it must have serious use for it. I can’t think of it even as a sideboard option. This I call a trap.

Smite

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/rz26vdnqzd_en.jpg

Boros: 2.0 , Orzhov:4.0    – Now this is more likely. A great piece of cards that will see play in many decks no matter if the are base white or just splashing for white. It’s cheap, It is effective and it requires you only to have a creature to block one of your opponents creatures. It is that simple. Of course, Flyers and Unblockables are this card’s greatest nightmares. Be careful when playing against Dimir especially to board this one out if he/she plays too many unblockable threats.

Syndic of Tithes

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/q67q2d1sma_en.jpg

Boros: 2.5 , Orzhov:2.0    – I keep reading this card as Syndic of Tits but that’s an issue of accommodation with the cards name. This card feels Orzhov in flavor but believe me, it is at its best in a Boros deck. It just does what Boros wants. It is a good 2 drop and with a white mana you can just drain opponents for every cheap creature you play afterwards.  Orzhov decks will most often use it as a one time blocker. Boros will get much more use from it, limited wise.

Urbis Protector

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/rus5geripy_en.jpg

Boros: 2.5 , Orzhov:3.0 – This card is good in limited because it nets you 5 power (4 of it Flying) for just 6 mana and that having two bodies. It is a strong uncommon and can be good in either Boros or Orzhov since it activates Battalion pretty easy and can play both offense and defense pretty easy. The mana cost is what might make it be played not more than 1 per deck, although I feel that 2 of these could be quite strong. Those angels are quite a beating.

Zarichi Tiger

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ndfrirtc6h_en.jpg

Boros: 0.5 , Orzhov:2.0    – What, what, the cat? This cat is marginally good in Orzhov decks but it requires a lot of mana investment for a 2/3 that can, from time to time, gain you some life. I would not play this unless I don’t have enough playables. It is just so underwhelming in both its power and toughness status and in its ability. It might be a trap card for new players since they love lifegain so much.

BLUE

Ætherize
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/uyrloq9dnd_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:2.0 – This is actually better than it looks at first glance. You might think it’s just another [CARD]Sleep[/CARD] or B[CARD]lustersquall[/CARD] but this card is definitely more than that. The fact that it can tempo out the opponent that’s trying to race with you is huge and it fits best in Simic where the removal is not that great but you can hit your opponent on the next turn with you fatties. It is just 4 mana and if your opponent is playing Boros or other creature heavy decks he will have to replay 2-3 dudes while you will develop the board quite nicely. Of course, as the format will evolve this will fall into a 2.0 – 2.5 category since having 4 mana up will be quite the sign.

Agoraphobia
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/x3nw3d7538_en.jpg

Simic:3.5 Dimir:3.0  – You see this card and think that it is just another variation of [CARD]Sensory Deprivation[/CARD], maybe with a bit more of a twist. But actually, this card has many applications in GTC limited. For instance it can help you get to the late game, it can help you evolve some already evolved guys and can act as removal for many times in the course of a game. This card is one of the best removal spells for Simic, if not the best since it gives you protection from all those unblockable or flying guys that otherwise you will hardly deal with.  It is so versatile in this format that I will call it first pick material even if I might be wrong. It also enables combo-like situations with evolve guys.

Clinging Anemones
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/a34dp8fg4w_en.jpg

Simic:1.5 Dimir:1.5  – I know we’ve had some good defenders so far but this one does not qualify for such a category. It is 4 mana, it comes in as a 1 / 4 and it tries to provide blocking for a deck like Simic which already has high toughness creatures. It might be mediocre in Dimir where you will want some protection but the fact that it comes so late into the game and it cost you to invest a full 4 mana for such an effect does not feel right.

Cloudfin Raptor
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ptvrnuyfro_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:3.0  – I can get behind this evolver. He is, lets say, the Wingcrafter of this set who you will love to play turn one, especially in a Simic but it is also very good in Dimir and has many applications in the turns to come since you can always grow it and encode a spell with cipher onto it. The evasion really puts you in the driver’s seat once this one is out there in the first few turns of the game. Remember Delver? It was kind of hard to get that guy active in limited fast enough. With this one you just need to play creatures which limited is already plenty of. Up till I’ve only reviewed a good number of one drops in this format. Maybe Wizards have learned how to make one drops playable in limited.

Diluvian Primordial
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/80msjvqnnz_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:3.0  – This rare has mostly one side in limited, that of a 5/5 flyers for 5UU but that is definitely not something weak. The fact that you might be able to cast something in your opponent’s graveyard from time to time is just a bonus. In a perfect situation you can cast it, play a removal spell from your opponent’s graveyard for free and win the game with this card. It is though, seven mana, which even in limited is a bit steep to get to but as a finisher, both Simic and Dimir decks will love this card since they already plan on going either midrange or the control route.

Enter the Infinite
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/b1ne8elfka_en.jpg
Simic:0.00 Dimir:0.00     – I know it is fun and all but just don’t play this card. The ramp is not good enough in limited and after you manage to cast you will most likely mill yourself the next turn if you cannot find that specific “You win the game on the spot” card.

Frilled Oculus
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/gu046anask_en.jpg

Simic:2.5 Dimir:1.0  – He is niche, and he is a common but boy is he good in a Simic deck. I’d say he is as good or even better than [CARD]Darkthicket Wolf[/CARD] was in Innistrad. As you can notice he is not a great evolver enabler but he is only 2 mana and can be a 3/5 on turn 3 that can start the pressure on your opponent. His big toughness is relevant because it can help your other evolvers grow. Because he is just good in Simic or Simic related decks he cannot pass the 2.0 test so easily but he will be played a lot in GTC limited. 

Gridlock
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/7jucq0zln0_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:1.5  – Gridlock is the [CARD]Blustersquall[/CARD] of this set and not Aetherize. Gridlock will have a very powerful presence especially in Simic decks where evasion will not be the deck’s forte. In Dimir deck’s he will be only mediocre because of the so many evasion guys that Dimir provides already. Still, it is also good for earning a turn when the opponent is trying to alpha strike but I wouldn’t pick it first or second unless the pack is really bad.

Hands of Binding
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/bkbf3hs2eo_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:3.0 – Hands of Binding is the best Cipher card period. It is costed efficiently and can be gamebreaking if ciphered on an unblockable dude. It is almost always keep you attacking while your opponents best creature will chill for a while. Being a sorcery is the reason this card is only 2 mana but making this card an instant would not be all that important since the effect is best played as a sorcery since it gets tapped for a longer period of time.
I will always play this in Dimir decks and even in Simic decks will help you a lot if you have an evasion guy that wants to get in as much as possible (ex. Cloudfin Raptor or Krasis Drake or Elusive Krasis)

Incursion Specialist
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/6kugs03zvb_en.jpg

Simic:1.5 Dimir:2.0 – This card is intended to be played especially in Dimir decks since this time around the secretive guild is all about evasion or mill but it is actually a good reliable card in simic decks also because card advantage won’t be a problem for simic decks and playing at least 2 spells a turn won’t be that hard since you will have creatures and spells with relatively low cost. A 3/3 unblockable will be very hard to deal with. I think that in a game, whether you are playing Dimir of Simic he will turn into an unblockable creatures at most 2-3 times. But I think that is relevant enough to play him. Still, not first pickable and definitely not a game changer.

Keymaster Rogue
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/100a9dio61_en.jpg

Simic:2.0 Dimir:3.0 – This guy really is an unblockable menace, ready to win many games for you. Even a 2/2 unblockable is a real clock for an opponent but you have a 3 power unblockable things change drastically. At the point you cast him, your opponent will start racing you since he knows that only a removal spell will save him and even if he has one he can’t risk letting you get to later turns where you can just play other evasion guys and defeat him. His downside is definitely tricky since it will most of the time be a disadvantage but there will be some games where this will be relevant. That is with creatures that have ETB (enter the battlefield) abilities. I will let you guys search for those – he is like[CARD] Faerie Imposter[/CARD] where she would return a Detain guy a play it again on the same turn or on the next one.

Last Thoughts
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/meayfn8y2b_en.jpg

Simic:1.0 Dimir:2.0    – What does Blue want most of the time? Card advantage is the answer. Well, the tricky part is that you need to have at least one guy to pass through with this encoded onto him in order to get some value out of this card. A simple cantrip for 4 mana isn’t gonna cut it but be sure that when this is paired with some of the creatures in Dimir’s arsenal it will bury you in card advantage and help you win from there. These Cipher cards are really tricky to design since any mistake in the mana cost can make overpowered cards.

Leyline Phantom
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/uhd7veq7bi_en.jpg

Simic:2.0 Dimir:1.0  – This one is just an Evolve enabler that keeps growing your early plays turn after turn. He can also play defense quite well since it will hold most of your opponents guy back for a turn or two. He has a role in the next limited season but I’m not sure he’s gonna make a lot of decks. Maybe only the needy ones.

Metropolis Sprite
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/nxohv3sgd9_en.jpg
Simic:1.5 Dimir:2.0  - You all remember Welkin Tern and how good that card was in Zendikar, right? It was only average in M13 and now it returns in another form, that of a faerie that wants to be able to block 1/1 and not die. It also gained the ability to block overall because the Tern had that as a downside. This one has a downside of always paying U when trying to be aggressive but I think that’s more than fine and can make this card good . You should take into account that she is an evasive creature for the Dimir deck that comes down early and can be encoded with crazy cipher spells. As the format will evolve she will be more la 2.5 – 3.0 I think since she will be an invaluable piece of Dimir decks.

Mindeye Drake
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/r5wg9ip3a1_en.jpg
Simic:3.0  Dimir:3.0  – This flyer is amazing both for Simic decks since it can evolve most of the creatures and in Dimir where if you go for the Mill plan we will help you a lot in getting there by holding down the offense and hitting the opponent for the last five cards. Rembember that you can kill/sacrifice him if needed so that the last cards in your opponent’s library will be put into his or her graveyard. Legit flyers that will be first picked from time to time.

Rapid Hybridization
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/wb71jk0gzt_en.jpg

Simic:2.0 Dimir:2.0  – This is the bomb removal of the set. It doesn’t matter what your bomb does, he just gets you a vanilla instead. Be sure you are prepared to block the Frog Lizard cause it will be very angry because it lost its great form (creature that was destroyed) and became such a pathetic creature. Actually, if you play this in you deck, I think you should be playing Simic. For Dimir there are definitely better removal spells and also, dimir does not block well those 3/3’s. This card will also come in handy in 4-5 color decks when the time is right but right now he is just a bomb removal that gets rid of that Obzedat and gives the opponent a 3/3. In some cases, you can also target one of your removal targeted creature so that you can still put the pressure. I doubt that will happen too often.

Realmwright
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3sxhp1fq4s_en.jpg

Simic:1.0 Dimir:1.0  – This guy is a one drop I would not like to play in Limited. The only place I see it mediocre or good is in DGM-GTC-RTR draft where he can help enable some 5 color decks. Still, do not play this card because it’s effect isn’t good enough to justify a 1/1 for 1.

Sage's Row Denizen
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zz2xe2fvnv_en.jpg

Simic:1.0 Dimir:1.5  – Seems like all the Denizen’s have something to do with entering the battlefield of other creatures of the same color. The white one tapped a creature, therefore was good in aggressive decks. This one mills the opponent for 2 each time, therefore making it good in a grindy deck. He is not good enough even in the mill deck, I think, since you will need at least 6-7 blue creatures besides him in order to make him work which I doubt it will be at all times possible especially with to many spells to cast in a Dimir deck. But if, and only if, you manage to draft multiple blue denizens, you should try and build around them. Having 2-3 on the battlefield at the same time and playing 1-2 creatures afterwards will get you the advantage much needed in a long game. There are many ways to mill your opponent in GTC, this one feels subpar when compared to the others.

Sapphire Drake
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/vs36u27da0_en.jpg

Simic:4.0 Dimir:2.5  – This card is the real deal. I know it is good only in simic but it is very good in that deck. You will have a bunch of do nothing evolvers that will lie on the table and wait for something to happen but when this guy will hit down, all of your 6/2 , 1/3, 2/3 evolvers will go unleashed. He is, in itself a great card being a 4/4 for just 5U being also easy to splash. It is perfect for Simic decks but he will also be played in Dimir decks.

Scatter Arc
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/585imaplro_en.jpg

Simic:0.5 Dimir:0.5  – the cost and the effect is not good for limited. Most of the time you will have to wait with it in your hand for your opponent to cast any spell. He is just a sideboard card and might be slightly better once Dragon’s Maze hits.

Simic Fluxmage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/oyknlk2j2x_en.jpg

Simic:2.5 Dimir:2.5  – This evolver actually helps the Drake I talked about earlier to be even better. He can give +1/+1 counters to any creature which is relevant. It works mostly in Simic but he will also be good in making your 3/2 unblockable a 4/3 unblockable or this sort of shenanigans.

Simic Manipulator
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/mcyzhgmlwb_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:2.0  – Play it. It is a 0/1 that can steal at least 1-2 creatures during a game. He is better when you can protect yourself with other creatures since he will have some other work to do. Be careful that he requires you to play a relevant number of creatures in order to make it work. I would suggest going Simic only,  if you draft this guy. He needs beef around him to feel safe.

Skygames
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/b1tan9rt21_en.jpg

Simic:2.0 Dimir:1.0  – This land enchant isn’t that great. He is cheap, he will be played from time to time in Dimir decks when encoding something good is a must and there are no evasive creatures on the table but it will still be a card in your deck that won’t help build up a table. I’m sure that people will learn how to play with this card in this format and it might jump to 2.0 but for the moment, when the format is young, this card won’t feel at home in any deck. (I know that making your 6/2 evolver a flyers is great but that’s just a situation where everything goes according to plan)

Spell Rupture
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/5qkxz95nqc_en.jpg

Simic:1.5 Dimir:1.0  – A better counterspell couldn’t have been printed in the set…for constructed. This card might be good in Bant control but since we’re talking about Limited I must say I am quite disappointed by this card since it will be good but only in very specific cases, when you already have a creature on the table (and actually a big creature). It is almost never good in Dimir since all your guys are 1 or 2 power and in Simic it should be good but it might not make the deck most of the time. I just see outclassed by other cards and when talking about counterspells, there is a Dimir counterspell that should be good in limited.

Stolen Identity
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/k9uaahs7dv_en.jpg

Simic:3.0 Dimir:3.5  – This is a very powerful cipher card (explained by its rarity also) because it can make you unblockable dudes each and every turn or why not just attack with an unblockable or flyer and get more big blockers on the battlefield. Even without ciphering this card can be quite good on its own since it will almost always copy the best creature out there. I must remind you that it can also copy creatures on the opposing side of the battlefield so that if an opponent got his bomb you can also play with it.

Totally Lost
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/yanzr91jbp_en.jpg

Simic:2.0 Dimir:1.5  – This card is tempo oriented and since it is a common it will come more frequently in limited than [CARD]Vanishment[/CARD] came a few sets ago and it can be quite relevant using Dimir’s Mill cards since you will be able, to get rid of that annoying Nonland Permanent your opponent is playing for good. I rated it a 2.0 because it will not be very useful in all situations (such as a battalion of 4 attacking you for lethal) but it will create tempo swings from time to time and that’s part of why Magic is fun.

Voidwalk
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/wmy6mm5ncr_en.jpg

Simic:1.5 Dimir:1.5  – Such an effect could be good if the set has many enter the battlefield creatures but as is there aren’t so many and therefore it might just be useful to reset some evolved guys, to get rid of some tokens and to free a creature you control from an opposing enchantment. It won’t be played that frequently but in certain decks can really come in handy if it can be supported by the rest of the cards.  As any other cipher card (except 1-2) it is a bit overcosted as an effect but can be powerful enough to be played.

Way of the Thief
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zojrtczz5t_en.jpg

Simic:2.5 Dimir:1.5  – This card reminds me of Tricks of the Trade from M13 which had a role in that limited format. In this one it has a much bigger role since it can be used by the Dimir to fully take advantage of the Cipher ability. The “control a gate” clause will mostly affect the decisions of players to pick this card early since they will not know for sure if their deck will get any gates or if they will need any. Surely, this card justifies playing at least one guildgate but without 2-3 pieces a deck won’t be able to fully take advantage of this enchantment.

BLACK

Basilica Screecher
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/l83xuhfgpi_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.0 Dimir:1.5  – I know that this bat is trying to act Orzhov but I feel he is at home in Dimir decks. Evasion is all that Dimir decks hope to have. They’ve got plenty  in blue and dimir cards but a few black cards here and there with evasion are welcomed any time. Unlike the Sprite, this flyer can’t turn on the aggressive mode and we’ll just have to be ok with Extort on it which can act as a +1/+1 from time to time. Sadly he is pretty bad at blocking, all 1 / 2’s are. The best thing about the bat is that he will carry enchantments and be encoded a lot so that he becomes from a semi-unplayable card, a sought after one. Still, there are many better 2 drops out there, even for Dimir and Orzhov.

Balustrade Spy
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/6ie4ilpo2k_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.5 Dimir:2.5  – I believe that this flyer is a solid one since with its 2/3 stats he can block 2/2’s all day long. Besides blocking, he is a very good attacker by having evasion and 2 power. Its other ability is there just to grind the opponent some more in a grind centric deck (Grind is a mechanic that never got to print – Mark Rosewater intended on having it the Dimir mechanic for Gatecrash but he designed Cipher in the end – still tough, a lot of cards with the grind mechanic were printed in this set)

Contaminated Ground
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1ztn3kk1f6_en.jpg   

Orzhov:0.5 Dimir:0.5  – Some enchant lands are actually good but this one is a bad one. It reminds me of [CARD]Chronic Flooding[/CARD], a card that punished new players for thinking only the best case scenario. In truth, [CARD]Chronic Flooding[/CARD] turned out to be a constructed plant that enabled self mill deck but this this ain’t worth it even in constructed. It is merely a sideboard card at best against 4-5 color decks. Sadly, those decks will run Black and therefore having only the 2 life loss for maybe once in a match but here I’m being optimistic.

Corpse Blockade
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sv4ncxwwk9_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.0 Dimir:1.5  – Only now did I notice there might be a common Defender cycle of 1 / 4’s in GTC.  The white one had extort and was good in Orzhov, the blue one was underpowered but had evolve to grow a little and now we have this defender which I think, it will turn out to be pretty good. Blocking 3/3, 2/3, 2/4 etc and being able to kill those creatures from time to time is relevant enough to play these guys in the most grindiest decks out there (looking at Orzhov but Dimir isn’t known for its short games either)

Crypt Ghast
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/5atfjinpng_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.0 Dimir:2.0   – This guy is good but don’t be fooled by its power in constructed. In limited is not where his playground lies. He’s just a bear that ramps you a bit. Not sure if he can be on par with other for drops in the format that have better stats for limited. His ramp will only be relevant from time to time and since you won’t be playing mono-black any time soon then maybe he will just ramp with just 2-3 mana at most. I don’t think I would play this card if my deck doesn’t have at least one or two 6-7 drop.

Death's Approach
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/238mhptv53_en.jpg

Orzhov: 1.0, Dimir (cipher): 1.0– Bad enchantment is bad. He may cost just one mana but sometimes and that’s maybe a lot of times he will just be a blank card. The best deck for him might be one with a lot of removal and when I say a lot I mean over 8-9 pieces. It always wants you to already be in the drivers seat by having already casted a bunch of removal. Not recommended for decks even if your removal is slim.
Dimir(MILL) 2.5    – Now I know I have criticized it a lot in the last paragraph but I think I found its place. If you play it with at least 5-6 mill cards it will be viable even though you do not play a ton of removal. Therefore, in a mill deck it will be an all-star and guess what? It will come as a 11th -12th pick so if you go the mill route some bonus cards will be awaiting you at the end of the pack, it seems.

Devour Flesh
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ntfiiz5vzm_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.5 Dimir:2.0   – Devour Flesh is awesome. An edict is an edict and should be treated with respect. The lifegain won’t be that relevant since Dimir wants to win with incremental advantage (mostly card advantage but it can also mill the opponent pretty well) and Orzhov tends to be the grindiest deck of them all. This card should be picked till 4 pack at most so be sure to pick them up for your slow deck.

Dying Wish
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/6qakt7vakw_en.jpg

Orzhov:0.0 Dimir:0.0 – Trappy trap card is trap. If you change the T with a C in all instances you get the same thing. We are not in AVR where you would have a big loner out there and once you get that [CARD]Essence Harvest[/CARD] you just cast it for lethal. That was possible but it did not happen that often. In GTC there aren’t so many big boys surrounding black cards so this one Is just a trap card since it also requires you to have that creature dead. If it would be too big than it might just win the game on its own and it is very possible that your opponent won’t be able to block it to death. It is a really bad card. Thank God it’s uncommon and will not come that often in limited. I wouldn’t want my dying wish to be this card.

Gateway Shade
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3c7ur9svcm_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.5 Dimir:2.5  – The shade is good. Almost any shade is good in limited and this one makes no exception. It is one of the first shades I have seen that can be activated with something other than black, and even for more power. This card will make every 4-5 color deck feel strong. It has the ability to let that player get into the late game with ease. It’s also good in Dimir or Orzhov where you can encode it on get to the late game and tap a lot of lands to give it boost.

Grisly Spectacle
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/00tyvpgtmm_en.jpg

Orzhov:3.0 Dimir:3.0  – Grisly Spectacle is a solid removal card. For just 4 mana you get an instant speed removal that gets rid of almost any creature on the battlefield. As a bonus, you get to mill some cards too. As far as I can see, black seems to get a lot of removal this time around, and at common too so maybe it will regain its true power as the best removal color. In the last sets it kinda lacked that since removal was scarce overall and long lasting games weren’t that often played. I would play this card in all my black decks.

Gutter Skulk
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/op8bl6byx0_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.0 Dimir:1.5  – Nothing cool about this card to tell. He is a 2/2 bear in a format where black decks are the slowest of them all. I would not play this card in this format unless I don’t have any other ok card to put in that 2 drop slot.

Horror of the Dim
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/yuaehtzaoy_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.0 Dimir:1.5  – Seems like that [CARD]Rubbleback Rhino[/CARD] we had a set ago wasn’t ok leveled in power and Wizards decided to make a black one that requires activation cost for hexproof. I don’t think I would play this card because of its not so great stats on a 5 drop. He can just fill some role from time to time. Best thing to do with it is to enchant it with some ridiculous enchantment because he is I think, the only hexproof-er of the set. Hexproof on demand that is, for one U. 

Illness in the Ranks
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/awhhr8evmz_en.jpg

Orzhov:0.5 Dimir:0.5  – Sideboard for limited but not in GTC. There aren’t so many relevant token generators in GTC to make it playable or even sideboard worthy. It will be good in the spring just against [CARD]Eyes in the skies[/CARD] and shrinking centaur and knight tokens but I don’t think anyone would love to have this in his/her deck.

Killing Glare
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/v6k7izopy2_en.jpg

Orzhov:3.5 Dimir:4.0  – Another great removal spell. Maybe the best in the set. I would play this card even in non-black decks. It reminds me of Death Wind but It is a shame it’s an uncommon. It is a very much needed removal spell in a limited and it will not come around so often.

Lord of the Void
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ytnaqsgi03_en.jpg

Orzhov:4.0 Dimir:4.0, Dimir Mill:4.5  – Ridiculous bomb it is. 7/7 flyers for 7 mana would be good on its own but it also mills the opponent and almost always nets you another creature. I’ve found the reason to play [CARD]Crypt Ghast[/CARD] in limited, seriously (yep, rare and mythic...quite possible indeed). Play this in every black deck you make because 7 mana isn’t something you will never get to . This time around, black is paired with white and blue and has a lot of defensive cards.

Mental Vapors
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/t127tqnlwd_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.0 Dimir:1.0  – Weak card in limited. Even repeatable discard is something that is worthless in 50% of the game. Some opponents will just drop anything they have by turn 4-5 and leave you with a 4-mana do nothing. Of course it is great against other controlish decks that try to win by gaining card advantage. I would definitely use after sideboard against those strategies but I’m not sure is worth mainboarding it that often. It feels like Mind Rot at most.

Midnight Recovery
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/wxqrlnpnkc_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.5 Dimir:2.5  – Now this is one cipher card I’m eager to try. It is some sort of combo enabler, I feel. It is a [CARD]Disentomb[/CARD] a turn if played on the correct creature and in a deck with the 1 / 4 defender than can get deathtouch for sacrificing a creature or with other “sacrifice a creature:do that”  it seems like a good card. As I said, repeatable graveyard recursion feels powerful enough to mainboard.

Ogre Slumlord
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/6jl9gl8hs8_en.jpg

Orzhov:3.5 Dimir:3.5  – It’s very powerful in a black deck. You’ve seen how many removal spells black holds and this one plays well with black deck strategies. You will slow the game so much that your opponent will  feel  it’s impossible for them to win. It’s that incremental advantage that counts for black decks and this a fantastic card for that. It needs support but it is also good on its own. 3/3 for 5 is good enough to be played and that fact that any creature that dies transforms into a token on your side of the field is great.

Sepulchral Primordial
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ke6zenv9u5_en.jpg

Orzhov:4.0 Dimir:4.0  – Each of these primordials are great in Limited. Even though they were made for EDH they are actually great value in limited too. The black one has the advantage of being in the grindiest color of them all and having one of the most powerful abilities out there for limited. Besides Intimidate with almost guarantees a 5/4 unblockable, it also revives a creature from your opponent’s graveyard and puts it directly onto the battlefield under your control. Very good seven drop

Shadow Alley Denizen
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/aknhpcus4v_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.0 Dimir:1.0  – A one-drop that does not impress at all. Gaining intimidate is relevant but I don’t feel is good for the black decks this time around. Maybe in another environment would make more sense.

Shadow Slice
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/2690x9cacp_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.5,  Dimir:2.5, Dimir Mill:1.0 –[CARD]Bump in the Night[/CARD]variant that feels much more powerful overall. This can turn your black unblockable 1/3’s , 2/2’s into fantastic beaters and can change your game plan all together. It will have its role in an evasion deck. But it only feels good for Dimir decks so it doesn’t pass the 2.5 test.

Slate Street Ruffian
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/tjdf072pmm_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.5 Dimir:2.0  – The Ruffian is a bear with a certain upside. He feels like an unblockable card for the first few turns of the game when your opponent will prefer 2 damage instead of discarding a card. After some time though, he will just be a 2/2 like any other bear out there. Still, he does fill a 3-drop spot in the Dimir Deck and will be playe accordingly. Do not play this in Orzhov decks because it doesn’t seem to fit there that well.

Smog Elemental
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kp8zv8uors_en.jpg

Orzhov:3.0  Dimir:2.5 – 6 mana for 3/3 flyer is definitely worth it when it ensure that your opponents flyers are smaller and can trade or get eaten by the Smog. The flavor seems fantastic on this card and its power in limited cannot be denied. Play it in your black decks as often as possible, you will not be disappointed.

Syndicate Enforcer
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/7yyz1uilfu_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.0 Dimir:1.5 – A 3/2 extorter for 4 mana. I’m not sure where he works best. It is somewhere between Orzhov and Dimir but for the moment I cannot find that spot where he’s good. But I guess he does wonders in an all Extort deck. That’s right, Orzhov will thrive best when you will assemble a board full of extorters. Having a minimum of 4-5 on the table seems like  powerful extortions.

Thrull Parasite
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kl4nesr3r3_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.5 Dimir:1.0  – If this card gets played in anything it will only be in Extort centred decks that I talked about earlier. Unless you play him in that deck he does not seem too powerful. The pay 2 life ability will very rarely be useful in limited since that’s a Simic thing and Simic has evolve and can just get the counters back pretty 'easy. Also, paying 2 life is not worth it. Maybe in constructed it can be ridiculous against some artifact or Planeswalkers but in Limited he is good only in Extort.deck

Undercity Informer
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/gagqof3lss_en.jpg

Orzhov:2.0 Dimir:2.0, Dimir Mill:3.0   – The stats are already great for a 3 drop. What else does it do? It grinds for 1 mana and a creature. The creature cost is kind of steep but it is actually the mana cost that makes it not broken in constructed. Therefore, they had to double cost it like this, otherwise it would have made some infinite combo’s in modern and mill the opponent out with 2-3 pieces assembled. The creature cost, as I said, in limited feels kind of bad but with that “ 3-mana return to hand when dies creature ” you can assemble a 4-mana combo grind, out of a common and an uncommon. It also works good with the cipher card that returns a creature from graveyard to hand. I feel he will be a good piece for the mill deck and will table a lot of the times, making the mill deck much more appealing for draft, unless it will be the deck to beat in the format and everyone will try drafting it which could dilute its power overall.

Undercity Plague
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4n01133uru_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.5 Dimir:1.5  – This card is good only because it has “target player sacrifices a permanent on it”. Repeatable sacrifice a permanent in limited is very powerful but it does not deserve a better grade because in limited, players tend to mana flood a lot of the times and they will sacrifice their lands most of the time. The lose 1 life isn’t all that relevant and the discard a card clause can come in handy but I wouldn’t count on it, just like with the other cipher card that discards a card every turn.

Wight of Precinct Six
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/a4jnjrni3w_en.jpg

Orzhov:1.0 Dimir:1.0 Dimir Mill:2.5  – This guy is ideal for Mill decks as a secondary plan if the grind cards fail to win you the game. He can get gigantic if you get to mill at least 5-6 creatures which in limited isn’t that impossible. In a mill oriented deck he will be like a 3.5 because of the great boost that he can get. And by the way, everyone plays at least 9-10 creatures in limited so he can find enough creatures when the opponent is milled.

Pentru ca mi-a fost cerut de mai multa lume, am modificat notele la cartile Mono-colore pentru a da cate o nota facand diferenta intre ghildele in care pot fi jucate. Prin urmare, pentru cei interesati de nota/ghilda pot sa se uite la notele acordate in cele ce urmeaza: (CONTINUARE)

RED

Act of Treason
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kwiwruz4m4_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:1.5  – It’s back and it’s ready for some crack. We just had a [CARD]Threaten[/CARD] effect in RTR and it was really powerful in most Rakdos decks. Now it is time for Boros and Gruul to have some fun with your creatures. This card will be a card to watch for when playing a bomb on an empty board against a red deck with cards in hand.  It’s not a bomb in itself but be prepared for it to close a lot of games that felt won by the opponent.

Bomber Corps
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4fltpd2024_en.jpg

Boros:1.5 Gruul:0.5  – This cards power depends a lot on the number of X/1’s creatures in the format. Dealing 1 to a player can’t justify playing a  1 / 2 for 2 mana but if this can kill many guys in the format it would be great. Sadly, it seems that the average toughness this time around is about 2.0 so this guy will be less relevant. Still, a 2 drop is a 2 drop and in red decks they are more needed than in black decks so I think he’s much better than the 2/2 vanilla Zombie Rat.

Cinder Elemental
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/rz0z2ryydi_en.jpg

Boros:3.5 Gruul:3.5  – [CARD]Fireball[/CARD] on a stick…playable? Very much! This thing seems fragile. The 2/2 body feels rather unsafe but if you manage to crack on the next turn you get yourself a great removal spell that can act as a finisher. Fireball was a sorcery that in most draft formats deserved a 4.0. This one is close behind because it will need at least two turns to make it work.

Crackling Perimeter
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hx9ijcwoe6_en.jpg

Boros:0.00 Gruul:0.00   – I would not risk playing with cards like this in limited. It seems rather combo-ish for constructed but in limited is just bad. If it would have said 1 damage to target creature or player than it would have been a clear strategy on its own and a 3.5 the least. Now it’s just unplayable trap card.

Ember Beast
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/g8xjadtkqz_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:1.5 – Ember beast is like [CARD]Mogg Flunkies[/CARD] from M13 but feels more at home in this format because of Battalion. I will really enjoy playing these in Boros decks. Even [CARD]Mogg Flunkies[/CARD] was a good card in M13 limited and this one, being a 3 drop does not change much of its power.

Firefist Striker
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lt2zjov5j5_en.jpg

Boros:3.0 Gruul:1.5  – A crazy two-drop for the Boros. This guy is mad and is gonna stop your biggest blocker from doing what he knows best. I would pick these early if I decided on Boros. Its aggressiveness cannot be denied. Even if you don’t get to attack with 3 guys he is still a fine guy that is making math more difficult for the opponent as the game goes long.

Five-Alarm Fire
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/k1xdjk3rp8_en.jpg

Boros:3.0 Gruul:2.0   – In limited creatures deal a lot of combat damage. In Boros decks, creatures deal  a hell of a lot more combat damage. You will love to play this turn three. It gives Boros a fine reach for killing that x/5 bomb or firing at the opponent’s face.

Foundry Street Denizen
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/k37kqf0wtl_en.jpg

Boros:1.0 Gruul:1.0  – I don’t know about you guys but I’m not sure I would play this guy in my deck. He will be a 2/1 from time to time but for just that he doesn’t deserve to see much play.

Furious Resistance
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0qh1t58pbb_en.jpg

Boros:1.0 Gruul:1.0  – Now this is a great blocking trick . It reminds me of the W:target blocker gets +7/+7 a few sets ago. The problem with it is that is too situational with the blocking clause and it belongs to the most aggressive guild out there. It plays against Boros and against Gruul which both want to attack. I still think it’s a decent combat trick that lets Boros’s small guys block a huge Trampling threat on the other side of the board.

Hellkite Tyrant
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/njcdxzejfx_en.jpg

Boros:3.5 Gruul:4.0 – This dragon is an easy 4.0. His ability doesn’t do a lot for limited but stealing a Keyrune of [CARD]Prophetic Prism[/CARD] here and there is fine and the real deal on it is that it is a 6/5 flying, trample for just 6 mana. 6 power for 6 seems bomby-bomb.  When compared to the 8 mana 6/6 dragon from RTR, this one feels a million miles better not ability was but playability-wise since 6 mana for red is much more possible than 8.

Hellraiser Goblin
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3x7y42x6y8_en.jpg

Boros:0.5 Gruul:2.0  – I’m sure this guy will be good in some decks but the only one that pops to me right now is Gruul. Gruul has big daddies that have to wait a turn to start attacking. This guy lets gruul have fun from the get go and the only real problem is that you have to win before your opponent can. You need to have bigger threats than your opponent because otherwise this little gobblin will make you lose the game. He is really tricky in grading because he might be an annoying card on your side of the field most of the time.

Homing Lightning
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/e6xrhzmtlt_en.jpg

Boros:2.0 Gruul:2.0   - Removal is removal and 4 damage is more than enough for 4 mana. It does not hit the player but in limited you will not care that much about it. The fact that it can get rid of annoying multiple tokens can be relevant but not too often. Espect this card to be good against centaur tokens in the following draft format.

Legion Loyalist
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0xfkhp15jr_en.jpg

Boros:1.0 Gruul:2.0  – I’m sure this is one of the better 1 drops in Boros decks but he does not do too much for a deck that plays and abuses small guys. Where he fits is in Gruul but now as a One Drop but as a surprise 3rd creature out of nowhere that gives great advantages to your beasts. Because he is a rare he will no be seen that often but when he will be, I think he’s gonna be in Gruul or Naya Decks, and not just plain Boros.

Madcap Skills
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/trear46frs_en.jpg

Boros:2.0 Gruul:1.5 – We all know how good auras have to be in order to be played. The 3/3 for 1R that couldn’t be blocked except by 2 or more creatures from M12 was much better than this one. He deserved a 3.5 in that format. Here we are talking about an Aura that will give a creature a boost of +3/+0 but will let his toughness stay in the 1-2 spot. That is not that great. It can’t be blocked except by two or more creatures but that is fine for your opponent since most of the time you will give 2 cards (creature and the aura) for one of his since if he will block with two dudes at least one of them should be bigger by that time. Played in the early game can degenerate into some fast wins. That’s why I’m not dismissing it as unplayable. A 1-drop turn 1, this turn two and from there on it’s almost GG. 

Mark for Death
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/muzjxjjkqc_en.jpg

Boros:3.0 Gruul:2.5  – What a great Flavour for this card. It not only acts as removal but also as a finisher. Basically you make all your dudes unblockable for a turn except for one of them . It will most likely be that your opponent will chump with the dude you untapped or targeted one of your bigger threats in order not to die. This card goes smoothly into all red decks out there be them Boros, Gruul, Naya, WRB.

Massive Raid
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/vye7iil36e_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:1.5  – Good removal spell for Boros. This time around Boros ain’t kidding. It has so many great tools both creature wise and spell-wise that it will be as or more powerful that Rakdos was in RTR. They’re not joking and this card is certainly something since it hits both players and creatures. Doesn’t seem that good in Gruul but you will play it from time to time for 2-3 damage at most. If you ever get into a stalemate and have this in your hand then I will be pretty sorry for your opponent.

Molten Primordial
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/fn48qunlog_en.jpg

Boros:2.0 Gruul:3.5  – 6/4 Haste + your biggest Creature to finish you? Great stuff. It does cost 7 though and in many Boros decks people will pack 16 lands instead of 17 but he does good things in Gruul.  Expect the unexpected with this one. Finishes games on landing most of the time.

Mugging
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/cvv7pamj05_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:2.0   – Pillar of flame? Or better it seems like [CARD]Magma Spray[/CARD] with the creature-only clause. Still, cheap and good removal spell it’s here and also lets you get through with your battalion through that 5/5 your opponent has out. Those “can’t block” can be very frustrating to play against. Just when you think you’ve got edge, Boros diminishes you.

Ripscale Predator
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kfpwqssybv_en.jpg

Boros:1.5 Gruul:2.5 – 6/5 for 6 with Madcap clause. Well, this one is much better than the enchantment on its own but it does suffer from high mana cost syndrome. Though, still a potent beater to get especially for the Gruul deck. The can’t be blocked except by two creatures can be relevant when your opponent has just one guy out but in other situations your opponents will put two creatures in front of it even if it did not have that part of text.

Scorchwalker
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/t3sy7hufd1_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:2.5  – I would play this scorchwalker in Boros and in Gruul but this card screams “play me as a Bloodrush trick, ONLY”. He’s surprisingly good when you can +5/+1 your creature for 3 mana. It’s a 5 extra damage to face for just 3 mana when your little 2/1 is not blocked. This will make blocking an important decision both when playing against Gruul and Boros.

Skinbrand Goblin
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/nzxwjej2xg_en.jpg

Boros:2.0 Gruul:1.5  – Tough little guy over here. His face says it all. “Do not underestimate me”. He is a 2 drop in the most aggressive color and can get Haste if you just need to get 2 more damage in.

Skullcrack
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/jpf5qzipuk_en.jpg

Boros:1.5 Gruul:1.0   – Good limited card but great constructed card. Although I’m not a big fan of fast games, this card does that pretty well. In limited you will not find yourself wanting this card that often but in hyper aggressive decks it’s welcomed.

Structural Collapse
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hobhkezyjj_en.jpg

Boros:0.00 Gruul:0.00  – Now this is unplayable for sure. 6 mana for letting your opponent choose what to sac when it comes to lands feels pretty bad in limited. The 2 damage it gives to the player and the “destroy artifact” part ain’t gonna make it any better.

Tin Street Market
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zpg0dfq8wh_en.jpg

Boros:0.5 Gruul:1.0  – Five mana is a bit too much for this effect. This is a sideboard card that will be better in 4-5 color decks that will emerge at one point, be it in this format or the next.

Towering Thunderfist
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sufw94jfuw_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:2.5  – [CARD]Hill Giant[/CARD] with upside for just W. Sign me up for this one if I’m playing Boros or Naya. 4/4 are great stats for a red creature and at 5 mana he is very much playable in limited. Be sure to get those into your deck as often as possible. Also splashable for 4-5 color control decks in the not so distant future.

Viashino Shanktail
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/v092k7o543_en.jpg

Boros:2.5 Gruul:2.0  – The Viashino is tricky because it has that small toughness but as we’ve seen more cards there are so many that deal 1 damage to target creature and frankly that doesn’t matter so much since he won’t see the battlefield all that often. He is better as a combat trick, I feel. One of the best combat tricks that gruul has to offer.

Warmind Infantry
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0tnqrwbo5o_en.jpg

Boros:3.0 Gruul:1.5  – 2/3 for 3 that becomes 4/3 on battalion. Mark me impressed. The valuable lesson we’ve learned the last day is that 2/3’s are kings in GTC limited. Well, this one can block and be really offensive at given times.

Wrecking Ogre
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/bwmny93p22_en.jpg

Boros:3.0 Gruul:3.0  – This rare is nuts. He does feel like a true bomb for the Boros deck since at 5-mana is where the deck wants to top and it does that great with +3/+3 AND DOUBLE STRIKE. Give that to your random 2/1 or 3/1 And get 10-12 damage out of one creature. That is crazy for the deck. It is great in Gruul also with all the trample lying around. Double red on the effect makes it less playable in Simic strategies but could be good there also with enough fixing.

Last edited by TudorGrigoroaia (2013-01-25 09:03:07)

It's Over 9000: http://i.imgur.com/EN2Fxoe.png

Last edited by benczi (2013-01-25 09:51:35)

Structural Collapse

Boros:0.00 Gruul:0.00  – Now this is unplayable for sure. 6 mana for letting your opponent choose what to sac when it comes to lands feels pretty bad in limited. The 2 damage it gives to the player and the “destroy artifact” part ain’t gonna make it any better.

Poate n-am inteles eu bine ce-ai scris, sau poate ai scris iar review-ul pe la 3 dimineata si nu ai citit bine, dar acolo zice "and" nu "or". Deci you don't let your opponent choose what to sac. He has to sac both. If available, of course smile

babyfreak wrote:

Structural Collapse

Poate n-am inteles eu bine ce-ai scris, sau poate ai scris iar review-ul pe la 3 dimineata si nu ai citit bine, dar acolo zice "and" nu "or". Deci you don't let your opponent choose what to sac. He has to sac both. If available, of course smile

Stiu ca le sacrifica pe amandoua dar nici tu nu ai citit atent ce am scris eu.
Letting your opponent choose what to sec WHEN IT COMES TO LANDS (adica el va alege ce land sacrifica ceea ce e lame...ca daca joaca 4 culori va sacrifica landul cel mai putin important pentru el). Crede-ma, cartea e proasta in limited pentru ca sacrifica un land, un artefact si da 2 damage la 6 mana. Trist ca cea mai buna abilitate e shock-ul de pe ea. (Shock numai la player desigur)

TudorGrigoroaia wrote:
babyfreak wrote:

Structural Collapse

Stiu ca le sacrifica pe amandoua dar nici tu nu ai citit atent ce am scris eu.
Letting your opponent choose what to sec WHEN IT COMES TO LANDS (adica el va alege ce land sacrifica ceea ce e lame...ca daca joaca 4 culori va sacrifica landul cel mai putin important pentru el). Crede-ma, cartea e proasta in limited pentru ca sacrifica un land, un artefact si da 2 damage la 6 mana. Trist ca cea mai buna abilitate e shock-ul de pe ea. (Shock numai la player desigur)

Dap, correct! Imi cer scuze. De asta am si inceput cu "Poate n-am inteles eu bine" ca mi se parea ciudat ca TU (insert smiley that bows down) sa nu fi inteles corect cartea.
My bad si sorry again smile Astept sa-i vad pe verzisori big_smile

PART 5:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GREEN:

Adaptive Snapjaw
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/swccqvb40q_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.0  GRUUL:2.5 - This is one of the better green commons of the set. Its small toughness is there for evolve and a starting 6 power for 5 is nothing to sneeze at. It will make into most green limited deck and by the way, it is just a common.

Alpha Authority
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/zst0b6bp6o_en.jpg

SIMIC: 1.0 GRUUL: 1.5 – I see this card a bit better in Gruul because of bloodrush and how you don’t want your opponent to 2-1 you by killing the attacking creature that gets bloodrushed but I’m not a fan of it. It will see moderately play here and there but nothing great about it.

Burst of Strength
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/a7eacen9wm_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.0 -This card is not awesome but it does act like removal by having the Untap clause. Giving a +1/+1 counter is relevant because of evolve and the +1/+1 theme of Simic overall. It is a decent combat trick.

Crocanura
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/gpbrb0j6xt_en.jpg
SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL:2.0  - Lovely little fellow. I see it played in all green decks. 1/3 can block many early drops and the fact that it can grow and block flyers gives it a huge upside. Plus, it’s a Crocodile Frog. How awesome is that?

Crowned Ceratok
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/i4h4vuk1ym_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.5 GRUUL:  3.0 – One of the greatest green uncommon out there. 4/3 for 4 that gives trample to almost all Simic creatures and to some of your Gruul guys if you had moved/put a counter somehow on it. Also, that stats, as I said are quite good on this one and it has Trample on its own so it should be a great asset for Gruul players too.

Disciple of the Old Ways
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/dq3sjxkc96_en.jpg

SIMIC:1.5  GRUUL: 3.0 – Great bear for Gruul here. The ability is very good with bloodrush and I can see it played a lot in the following months. Simic doesn’t need it that much because it has its own ways to block 2/2’s but I feel that Naya and Gruul will love it.

Experiment One
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/krxym94uy0_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.0 GRUUL: 2.0 – One drop that grows? Sign me up. I know this is not as good as Cloudfin Raptor but it does block a lot in the late game and it can swing for 4 or more in the late game so It’s not your ordinary 1 drop.

Forced Adaptation
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1wi1c32pmx_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL:  2.5 – I feel this enchantment is really good both in Simic and in Gruul and if left unchecked it can win the game in a few turns. Sure it is slow, it’s an aura but hey, it enables crazy fun stuff with Simic Manipulator and Gyre Sage (rares, but the interaction seems great)

Giant Adephage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/tkohp7rxit_en.jpg

SIMIC:3.5  GRUUL: 4.0 – Well, a bomb is a bomb. Mythic status for great reason. This big Insect will squash any opponent after the first attack.  Not first pickable because of the high mana cost but it is a game ending bomb.

Greenside Watcher
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/jnx0mtbzuf_en.jpg

[img]SIMIC: 2.0 GRUUL:2.0[/img]– Ramp if you play gates, bad bear if you don’t . Still, I’d main deck him even with 2-3 gates in the deck. Seems fine overall. 

Gyre Sage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/22s62gzi2u_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 3.0 – Seems pretty good in Simic but very good in Gruul. It can just get all those big monsters into play a lot faster and he will be a bigger beater also. In Simic he can abuse Zameck Guildmage’s abilities at least.

Hindervines
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/mk2hux6uur_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.5 GRUUL: 1.5 – Now this thing can go from overpowered to just an ok card. It basically wants to be played by every Simic deck out there. So many blowouts can be done by it that I will be quite afraid of 3 mana open against Simic when I hope for trades. In Gruul It’s just a prevent combat damage spell.    

Ivy Lane Denizen
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/n22pbcviuo_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.5 – This Denizen is a bit more expensive than the others but for good reasons. He is gonna put a lot of counters on creatures if left on the table. The 2/3 stats are also good in a format where 3 toughness is the place to be.

Miming Slime
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4qqeq64b8z_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.0 GRUUL: 3.0 – This token makes is powerful in both green strategies. You will almost always make a 3/3 or bigger creature because of the growing power that Green creatures tend to have. It’s better than Slimming Ooze some times because it is more cheaper but the lack of Populate makes it weaker overall.

Naturalize
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1zs0k7lowd_en.jpg

SIMIC: 0.5 GRUUL: 0.5 – I will call this a sideboard for the moment but I’m sure in DGM-GTC-RTR it might be a mainboard card because of the so many good enchantments Wizards have printed.

Ooze Flux
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qj83mlrs8l_en.jpg

SIMIC: 4.0 GRUUL: 1.0 – The range for Ooze Flux is pretty fantastic from bomb to unplayable. It works so well wih the Simic ability that it doesn’t matter it’s unplayable in other strategies. Lucky for the Simic player if this thing tables in draft. It is an incredible card. Just think that you can remove 3 counters from among evolved creatures just to evolve them again when you put the ooze and the repeat the process for just 1G. Feels so powerful.

Predator's Rapport
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qte0p92qh2_en.jpg

SIMIC:0.00  GRUUL:0.00 – Trap card for beginners. If anyone can find a reason to play this card they might have to learn a bit more about magic in general. For other details you should remember cards like Heroes Reunion or Angel’s Mercy.

Rust Scarab
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/i8rgqnqric_en.jpg

SIMIC: 3.5 GRUUL: 3.5 – I know that Naturalize does not deserve this stats but this Naturalize on a huge stick is more then welcomed. It is a great card. It evolves your dudes well, it is great in Gruul if you can give it trample and silences the table upon landing. Also, pretty relevant number of enchantments lurking in the format with keyrunes being great targets too.

Scab-Clan Charger
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lrptnirsf4_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.0 GRUUL: 2.0 – Nothing to tell a story about but it does its job well. I’d play it in both simic and Gruul both for evolving others or bloodrushing other creatures. It is a fine blocker also. Kills many creatures in the format. Too bad it’s no rogue…

Serene Remembrance

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/sxk4y8p47v_en.jpg

SIMIC: 0.00 GRUUL: 0.00
– Some of you might not be with me in this but this card does not feel like it belongs here. I know they printed it for various reasons but Limited ain’t one of them. Stay away from it.

Skarrg Goliath
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/7v8xv9xoxq_en.jpg

SIMIC: 4.0 GRUUL: 4.0 – Expensive? Yes. Does it matter that much? No. With 7 mana you should always be able to win the game with this. Very rarely you will cast it. Maybe on an empty board.

Slaughterhorn
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/tm143aipok_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.5 – The beast is hungry. It is good for evolve decks and for bloodrush ones. Play it in all green decks you concont in limited. You will be amazed by its power. It might be better than 2.5.

Spire Tracer
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/iod3iyz3j2_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.0  GRUUL: 2.0 – This is a 1/1 for 1 but its ability warrants it better than other one drops just because he has a good form of evasion. Put an enchantment, bloodrush it or put a counter on it and it becomes much much better.

Sylvan Primordial
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/tgmanwihfz_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.5 – The weakest of the Primordials by far for Limited. He might be amazing in EDH but here he’s just  a 7 mana big dork that blocks flyers all day. Destroying noncreature permanents is not that relevant in Limited and grabbing a Forest is just good for thining the deck at that point.

Tower Defense
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/xcwdekx57n_en.jpg

SIMIC: 1.5 GRUUL: 1.5 – An ok trick.Wouldn’t rate it higher than this. Blocks and kill most common flyers if targeted at least a 2-3 power creature.

Verdant Haven
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/i33qpq2vly_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.5 – I love this card. Both for limited and constructed. It is good old ramp with  a twist. The life gain won’t mean much but enabling 3-4 color decks is something amazing for limited. Pick them high if you plan on going 3+ colors. It ramps and it fixes, similar to Axebane Guardian.

Wasteland Viper
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/juiolmlrkl_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.5 GRUUL: 2.5 – Probably the best one drop of the set for limited. Deathtouch gives so much potential to this card.

Wildwood Rebirth
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h814trbfxv_en.jpg

SIMIC: 2.0 GRUUL: 2.0 – Great regrowth for creatures or better said Disentomb in Green. The fact that it is an instant and can bring back big green dudes or rare/mythic bombs gives it much potential than good old Disentomb. I expect to see this card being played.

GRUUL:

The Barbaric guild is once again with us. This time it shows itself as one of the most potent guild for limited purposes. Bloodrush is such a good mechanic for limited that many will push it or push cards with bloodrush just because they are so flexible. It is like giving a creature you control Haste (with the downside of having it die at the end of the turn, but it doesn’t matter that often because you should be able to kill your opponent with a bloodrushed creature most of the time or at least get rid of one big blocker)

Gruul wants some of these:

A)  Big beaters
B)  Lots of bloodrush guys  (they count as combat tricks because of the obvious)
C)  Ramp (you want to get out your fatties as soon as possible)
D)  Removal for flyers

Borborygmos Enraged
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h6ewtukll4_en.jpg

2.0 – I like Borborygmos a lot but his potential is somewhere on the constructed grounds. In limited you will most likely not get to him and since he costs so much it is quite hard to have lands in hand when you cast it. Maybe after an attack you can find a land or two but after an attack your opponent should be dead to its 7/6 trample status. He is the weakest of the bunch but all due to its mana cost.

Clan Defiance
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qjl90s7xs1_en.jpg

4.5 – Crazy removal and Fireball card . This can be a 3-1 so many times in this format. It is a bomb, real bomb, play it, pick It, hit with it. 

Domri Rade
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/lsnhs59758_en.jpg
4.0 – Planeswalkers are planeswalkers. He comes down early, has Fight stuck on it for just -2 and can draw cards from time to time. Not to mention that if you get to ultimate it…GG.

Frenzied Tilling
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/necxi8gahs_en.jpg

0.5 – weak card in limited since very rarely you will want to ramp on turn  5 to get to 7 earlier. Also, the land destruction does not feel so good at that point. Into the maw of Hell was the only good land destruction for limited I have seen in quite a while.

Ghor-Clan Rampager
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4olvi22ygg_en.jpg
3.0 – This card is bonquers. Such great power of a 4drop. In limited he will be first pick material, no doubt.

Ground Assault
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/hdp3bxhyks_en.jpg

3.0 – One of the best removal spells for Gruul at uncommon. Nothing can compare to Clan Defiance but this one does the job well too. You will mostly hit for 4-5 which is perfect for killing pesky creatures.

Gruul Charm
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/tjz4h9t7sv_en.jpg

0.5 – I can’t see too many applications for this thing in limited. And since I gave to Dimir charm such a low grade I must give the same to this thing. Actually this one is worse then the Dimir Charm which might be a 1.5-2.0 after some more thinking has been done on the format.

Gruul Ragebeast
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qnyu9rzw3i_en.jpg

4.0 – Bombastic-Bomb. Enters the battlefield, removes the biggest threats and starts bashing next turn.

Primal Visitation
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/f0w4uubozz_en.jpg

1.5 – This will be a Giant Growth on a stick 90% of the time. The haste won’t be that relevant and that’s why I’m inclined not to ever play. If you find a reason to do, then go ahead and have fun with it.

Rubblehulk
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/dw6ibrnf9p_en.jpg

3.0 – Weaker than other promos but definitely not a card to laugh at. He will at least be a 6/6 when he lands or hit for a bunch if bloodrushed.

Ruination Wurm
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/pua43pwkps_en.jpg

2.5 – Big old stupid wurm. Much desired by fans in every set. Will be a finished from time to time but not that great because of its vanilla-ness.

Signal the Clans
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/ulqi7zd9gw_en.jpg

2.5 – I would try this card in limited. It seems fun and you can just search for the best 3 creature cards each and everytime. The randomness does not matter that much. At least you’re not giving the opponent the chance to choose which one. Being an instant and the fact that it replaces itself makes it playable.

Skarrg Guildmage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/3xw48p8yik_en.jpg

3.5 – This is the Skaarg. I honestly do not like its design. The first ability seem pathetic but it will be relevant. I just don’t like it as a design point of view. The second one feels much cooler and does give you what Koth of the Hammer used to give players but it costs some mana to activate and can, in some matches, be blocked by big toughness creatures. Thinking of also bloodrushing the land seems kind of ambitios. Still, it’s a bear, it is a guildmage and as most say, he will see play a lot.

Zhur-Taa Swine
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1f2gkz8cg9_en.jpg

3.5 – This card has an awesome name, great stats and nice ability. Giving +5/+4 for 3 seems fantastic and I actually feel like it’s the best Gruul design so far. Very good in limited also.

Burning-Tree Emissary
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/kwtkd3c7sh_en.jpg

3.0 – Basically a free 2 drop bear. I would play in almost any Gruul deck because it leaves mana open for bloodrushing other guys in and a 2/2 is very good on its own.

Pit Fight
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/0k5uqfenyb_en.jpg

3.5 – Here we have one of the best green removal spells ever. An instant over a sorcery makes this card so much better than Prey Upon was. And even Prey Upon was often first or second picked in draft. This one gives removal to the non-removal color and since it can be played with red also, it is a good tool for Boros also. I will be played in Gruul, Boros, Simic and the combinations of those. So much flexibility and power in just one card. Love it.

Rubblebelt RaIders
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/svjfhh3bbx_en.jpg

4,0 – This Boros-hidden card rewards you so much more with battalion cards than with Bloodrush. Another good toy for the Boros, like they did not have enough already.

ARTIFACTS

Armored Transport
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/qhq0f16v5n_en.jpg

2.0 (Gruul:3.5)– It wants to be played aggressively with Boros or Gruul but it comes down on turn 3 and is a 2/1 . I guess it is intended for Gruul so in a gruul deck I would not only play it but also value it high.

Boros Keyrune
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/r9yqn7qxnt_en.jpg

2,0 – One of the not so good keyrunes of Ravnica. Double strike is relevant but is not an effect well enough to warrant paying 2 mana to make a 1/1 every turn. Also, there color do not need the ramp so much.

Dimir Keyrune
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/4pij2wdr3y_en.jpg
3.0 – Ciphering something onto this seems sweet. The ramp is very good in Dimir and the only problem I can find with this card is that if the Dimir deck is a Mill one it might not do too much other than ramp.

Glaring Spotlight
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/h0ndjlxf87_en.jpg

3.5 – The hexproof denial is of no importance in limited but do not dismiss this card. It makes all your dudes unblockable for colorless mana. Play it in Boros, Simic, Gruul and be amazed by how good it is when you sac it an attack for lethal.

Gruul Keyrune
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/5s4gwhr2u9_en.jpg

3.0 – The Gruul Keyrune is not that great. 3/2 trample is not even as good as a 3/3 vanilla. And the Selesnya Keyrune was not even that good. The only great thing about it is that Gruul does need the Ramp to work better so it does deserve 3.0 just for that.

Illusionist's Bracers
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/7anbuzmoy2_en.jpg

1.5 – I don’t think I would play this in limited. It requires a certain strategy that most limited cards aren’t gonna make it in.

Millennial Gargoyle
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/a1qmgxzl4y_en.jpg

2.5 – Bird for colorless mana? Sold. Some decks will really want this gargoyle even if he seems small. Even Boros can play it at certain times if they need that 22nd or 23rd card to work with. Evasion gives it the much needed more.

Orzhov Keyrune
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/p6ky6h8leu_en.jpg

4.0 – Probably the best Keyrune for limited. Not only does Orzhov need the ramp but it also wants a ¼ body with lifelink to stem the bleeding and gain some life in the process. Great concept for limited.

Prophetic Prism
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/1acadm3rgd_en.jpg

2.5 – Color fixing with cantrip is quite good in a slow format where you will like to try 4-5 color decks. If the format does turn out to be as fast as speculated, this card might not make maindeck that often. Still, if you play 3 colors I think it is much needed piece to make it work. It is common so it is possible to find it in most booster packs. Get ready for 5 color control because it will be possible in the near future.

Razortip Whip
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/jx30fv68bw_en.jpg

1.5 – It whips the opponent but it is really slow and unlike Extort, which feels the same, does not gain life. I’ll call it unplayable for now.

Riot Gear

http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/65agsc00a2_en.jpg

2.0 – This equipment is good. It will be okay in some decks though not awesome. It is too slow for Boros, it does not help Simic Evolve and Gruul already has big beasts. Still, some Dimir decks will find it useful to be able to block better.

Simic Keyrune
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/vvolws6ynj_en.jpg

2.5 – 2/3 is relevant for blocking in this format so this card will be played. The hexproof isn’t that relevant but you can stop the artifact removal for just 2 mana. Think about that too.

Skyblinder Staff
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/drn2bbhkl9_en.jpg
2.0 - A weird sort of unblockability. I would play with the Green 1 drop that can’t be blocked by creatures without flying or reach. This way I can turn it into a creature that can only be blocked by guys with Reach (Crocanura to the rescue).

Utility Land:

Thespian's Stage
http://media.wizards.com/images/magic/tcg/products/gtc/is276nnn03_en.jpg

1.0 – Fun card but do not play it in limited. In a 5 color control I might try it but in a normal deck it will slow you down too much to be ok to play it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Si in final va urez tuturor multa bafta maine la Prerelease. La cat mai multe victorii!
Si nu uitati, esential este sa va simititi bine!

Last edited by TudorGrigoroaia (2013-01-25 17:48:29)