Topic: Kuldotha Rebirth situation

If I cast a Kuldotha Rebirth and sacrifice a Tormod's crypt, do I still get to exile target player's library?  How about if I sacrifice a lotus petal, do I get 1 mana of any color?

Re: Kuldotha Rebirth situation

Nope. Sacrificing the artifact is part of the cost, so you can't then use it to pay the cost of something else.

No, the sacrifice is part of the cost for each of the cards, you have to pay the cost for each ability, it's similar to trying to cast an arbor elf then a giant growth with the same green mana, costs must be paid before the ability happens, if you sacrifice Chromatic Star however you do get to draw a card because it's when it's put into the graveyard, not sacrificed, therefore you wouldn't get 1 mana of any color

imsully2 wrote:

No, the sacrifice is part of the cost for each of the cards, you have to pay the cost for each ability, it's similar to trying to cast an arbor elf then a giant growth with the same green mana, costs must be paid before the ability happens, if you sacrifice Chromatic Star however you do get to draw a card because it's when it's put into the graveyard, not sacrificed, therefore you wouldn't get 1 mana of any color

I thought sacrificing was just one means for something to enter the graveyard.  As I understood it, you would get the draw if an opponent destroyed Chromatic Star or if you Sacrifice it, because it hits the graveyard either way.  If you sacrifice it, however, as part of the cost for the first ability, that effect would happen.  The draw would happen after the card lands in the graveyard.

EDIT: Punctuation.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

HikingStick wrote:
imsully2 wrote:

I thought sacrificing was just one means for something to enter the graveyard.  As I understood it, you would get the draw if an opponent destroyed Chromatic Star, or if you Sacrifice it, because it hits the graveyard either way.  If you sacrifice it, however, as part of the cost for the first ability, that effect would happen.  The draw would happen after the card lands in the graveyard.

This is true because Chromatic Star has two different effects. When it's put into the graveyard, you draw a card, no matter how it ends up there. So if you sacrifice it as part of its ability, you get the mana, then the triggered ability goes on the stack, and you draw a card if/when it resolves. If you sacrifice it some other way, say with Reshape, you still get to draw that card.

Compare that to Chromatic Sphere, where the two abilities are linked. If I sacrifice a Chromatic Sphere to Reshape, I don't get to draw anything because it's card draw is part of its activated ability, which I'm not using.

HikingStick wrote:
imsully2 wrote:

I thought sacrificing was just one means for something to enter the graveyard.  As I understood it, you would get the draw if an opponent destroyed Chromatic Star or if you Sacrifice it, because it hits the graveyard either way.  If you sacrifice it, however, as part of the cost for the first ability, that effect would happen.  The draw would happen after the card lands in the graveyard.

EDIT: Punctuation.

Yes, that's correct, I was only trying to compare that phrasing to sacrificing it to the Rebirth, anything that causes it to be put into the yard from play.

What about mortar pod?

Nolberg wrote:

What about mortar pod?

Same deal: sacrificing the creature is part of the cost, so you pay it before the effect goes on the stack, and you can't then use the creature for something else in response to that effect.

But I can sacrifice is twice because the first time knocks off the germ token right?

Nolberg wrote:

But I can sacrifice is twice because the first time knocks off the germ token right?

What? No. What?

When you use an activated ability, you have to pay the cost for it. In Mortarpod's case, that cost is "Sacrifice this creature". There is no way for you to also sacrifice that creature to something else and get both effects. By the time you have priority to do anything, the creature has been sacrificed and is gone.

Nothing "knocks off" the germ token, you can't unequip equipment. You can use the ability twice by sacrificing the creature Mortarpod is equipped to, then equipping it to another creature, then sacrificing that creature as well.

LootPinata wrote:
Nolberg wrote:

What? No. What?

When you use an activated ability, you have to pay the cost for it. In Mortarpod's case, that cost is "Sacrifice this creature". There is no way for you to also sacrifice that creature to something else and get both effects. By the time you have priority to do anything, the creature has been sacrificed and is gone.

Nothing "knocks off" the germ token, you can't unequip equipment. You can use the ability twice by sacrificing the creature Mortarpod is equipped to, then equipping it to another creature, then sacrificing that creature as well.

I understand now, I misread the card.