Topic: Artaficial Artifact Deck

This deck is my first attempt at making a deck by myself.  I've usually just copied decks or had someone help me.

http://deckbox.org/sets/296500

FYI - I only play with a group of casual players who aren't concerned about banned lists or legal formats.

Re: Artaficial Artifact Deck

OK, I don't want you to think of this as criticism, but this just looks like a bunch of white/blue/artifacts piled together. You've got a bunch of one-drops, but nothing to keep them safe or punch them through. Are you hoping to use them to ramp out a Qumulox or to make them indestructible with Mycosynth Lattice/Darksteel Forge? If so, you're only running one of each of those, and you have no way of searching for them or ramping into them; your Gilded Lotuses need to be ramped into themselves, with only 20 land. And lifegain is nearly useless unless you plan on using your life for something other than living longer, and you've got a Platinum Emperion that makes at least 5 cards in the deck useless.

Some initial questions:
- What's your budget like?
- What kind of game do you prefer to play? Attack with a bunch of cheap dudes, or sit back and control the game?

My Budget is ZERO.
My play style is slower.  I like to build up and wipe them out, or just drag the game out until they make a mistake.
I would prefer to work with cards that I already own.

Tysonp wrote:

My Budget is ZERO.
My play style is slower.  I like to build up and wipe them out, or just drag the game out until they make a mistake.
I would prefer to work with cards that I already own.

Alright then!

So we're probably looking at UW control with some kind of artifact theme, in which case you'll want things that make the game go longer; board wipes, counters, tap/bounce spells, and hopefully artifact versions of those. I'd be looking at things like:
- Nevinyrral's Disk
- Terminus/Wrath of God/Day of Judgment/Supreme Verdict/etc.
- Land Tax
- Tumble Magnet
- Master Transmuter

You likely only need to run 3-4 threats (Angel of Serenity/Platinum Emperion/Avacyn/Platinum Angel, perhaps), and if you can focus the rest of your deck on surviving until you land one of those, you'll be in good shape.

I would definitely cut the one-drops, as they don't advance your plan, and go up to 25-26 lands; while an aggro deck will be fine stuck on 3, you won't.

I understand your perspective.  I was a zero budget player for many years.  That said, you have 15 pages of artifacts in your inventory, so I believe you have much room to tweak this one as you go along.

Right off the bat, there are a few in your inventory I'd consider working in.  Memnite is the first that comes to mind. It looks like you have three. As zero cost one-drops that buff anything with affinity for artifacts, they are a great T1 play.  Thinking of other zero-drops, Darksteel Relic comes to mind, and you have that, too. Spidersilk Net can help you if up against fliers, and Tormod's Crypt exiles your opponent's graveyard. Both are also zero-drops.

You also have a large variety of Myrs.  Look them over.  Some of the most annoying decks I've played against have used Myrs that mutually benefit all other Myrs.

I would absolutely drop Akroma's Vengeance, especially since you are running artifact heavy.  It will wipe out all of your artifacts in addition to those your opponent controls.  Austere Command is a bit better, but still risky, as you must choose two abilities.

I like Qumulox. With the number of artifacts you'll be playing, it should come out fairly early.  Being cheap (avg. $0.22 as of this writing), I'm guessing you could trade to get two or three without much trouble.  If using Deckbox, the most you'd be out is postage, but if you have friends with large collections, they may have some lying around.

One of the things that the most consistent decks have in common is that they tend to have fewer unique cards (they run multiple copies of everything). You've done that with many of your creatures, but most of the rest of your cards are one-offs. I'd go through them to see if you can substitute in multiples for some of those one-offs.

Aside from that, I'll pass on the only other deck-building tip to which I've latched on: 1) figure out your primary strategy or theme, 2) figure out how to support or attain that strategy, and 3) work to address any obvious weaknesses.

For example:
1) I want to overrun my opponent with tons of tokens.
2) Add cards that buff token creatures (e.g., Intangible Virtue), or increase the number of tokens I can play (e.g., Parallel Lives, cards with the Populate mechanic).
3)Weaknesses
a) My tokens are generally weak and are wiped out by global -1/-1 effects. I can run Intangible Virtue, but should also look for something that enables me to destroy enchantments.
b) I have no protection from fliers. I need to sideboard some fliers, or look for some spells that remove flying, burn directly, or give my creatures reach.
c) It may take many, many turns to get enough tokens, so I need to slow down my opponent. Sphere of Safety could work nicely, since my opponent will need to pay for each creature to swing. Blue spells like Blustersqualland Downpourcould be useful, too, to tap my opponent's creatures.

Happy deck-building! Be sure to let us know when you have things tweaked, and how it plays when you get to that stage.

EDITS: typos, spellings

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.