Topic: Best way to start building up my Inventory.

So recently my tradelist has depleted pretty heavily I don't have a staples or anything to trade away or anything to trade for value most of the stuff I have is junk rares now and no one wants to trade a staple for junk rares and I know that. Most of the stuff I have traded for is to complete my standard deck and I understand that standard is the most expensive format to play in because of rotation but I've been looking to get into Modern and I have slowly been getting all the pieces I need for my UWr Midrange deck. But after this deck is complete I feel like I wont have anything left and I'd like to have cards to be able to trade away for other staples and other things to finish other deck ideas I might have. So my question is what is the best way to build up my inventory to have staples of both Modern and Standard other than buying boxes?

Edt: I will be buying 2 boxes of Modern Master when it releases

Last edited by Odyssea (2013-03-21 04:58:18)

Re: Best way to start building up my Inventory.

Targeted spending is what I'm doing.

I took a little spare $ and I am buying at prices a little better than buylists, just to get trade bait.

I'm also selectively raiding EDH decks for things that have gone way up in value. I've traded away some filterlands because they have gone way up since I picked them up.

WordOfCommander wrote:

Targeted spending is what I'm doing.

I took a little spare $ and I am buying at prices a little better than buylists, just to get trade bait.

I'm also selectively raiding EDH decks for things that have gone way up in value. I've traded away some filterlands because they have gone way up since I picked them up.

I'm going to save for a little while and purchase as much Modern Masters as I can to get trade fodder from that but other than that I really don't know where to be spending the money I understand that Land are a great thing for trading and other than that there are certain staples I'm going to pick up after Inn rotates.

If you are just trying to get stuff that you need, then just buy the stuff that you need. Then if you decide to try a different deck you will be able to break you first deck up and piece it out to get what you need. I too have a similar issue with a dwindling tradelist, because almost every card I trade for goes into a deck. This leaves very little room for picking up "trade fodder".

You can also scout ebay auctions for staples going for less than they should. Definitely more efficient than buying boxes if you can snag any good deals.

Last edited by shifty4690 (2013-03-21 05:11:51)

I collect funny, epic, or unique flavor texts (foil if applicable)
Looking to purchase one player rewards and one judge foil Wasteland.
Tradelist | Wishist

shifty4690 wrote:

If you are just trying to get stuff that you need, then just buy the stuff that you need. Then if you decide to try a different deck you will be able to break you first deck up and piece it out to get what you need. I too have a similar issue with a dwindling tradelist, because almost every card I trade for goes into a deck. This leaves very little room for picking up "trade fodder".

You can also scout ebay auctions for staples going for less than they should. Definitely more efficient than buying boxes if you can snag any good deals.

That's exactly what I've been doing, I used to go on Ebay quite frequently and pick up duals and such but since I started on here my ebay bidding has gone down. I'd like to pick up as much modern masters as I can cause mostly everything on there will be good to trade with so I'm not loosing value and also I'll be able to have a lot of the staples I need.

To be fair, I do trade for any junk rare and will give up staples. wink

Actinide wrote:

If you want to take a look you can go ahead just a fair warning I am almost completely dry.

Odyssea wrote:
Actinide wrote:

If you want to take a look you can go ahead just a fair warning I am almost completely dry.

I trade for them at bulk rate, I don't even care what they are as long as you are willing to accept my bulk rate on them.

Hehe, bet I know what you're doing Actinide =P

Also, when you see opportunities to buy product at super discounts (like me selling fatpacks), is a good way to build up stuff.

When I move fatpacks at ~$20 per, thats far cheaper than you can buy product any other way.
I've built back up like 18 of them, was gonna do another post soon to sell them.

I only trade domestically, thanks!
Always trading for guru or judge foil lands.
Buying Thread | Reddit MTG Trade Thread | Tradelist | Wishlist

Sealed booster box of guildpact?! Dam it man why couldn't you have told me that last night, instead I'm buying alliances minus FoW for EDH junk (and the occasion cheap legacy card).

Paul_K wrote:

On a side note, I have sealed booster boxes of Apocalypse, Torment, Darksteel, and Guildpact available.  message me if interested.

This sounds great I might be interested I'll get back to you on it! And I should draft more but no one around here wants to draft with me and the closest shop that does is 30 or so minutes away.

How much would the darksteek or guildpact go for?

Last edited by Odyssea (2013-03-21 19:44:56)

Paul_K wrote:

On a side note, I have sealed booster boxes of Apocalypse, Torment, Darksteel, and Guildpact available.  message me if interested.

I need to block you or something. You always make me want to spend all my money tongue

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself