Topic: [EDH] Feedback and Discussion - Ashling

Hi everyone,

I figured I would post my decks for feedback one by one. Hopefully, I can get some new ideas for card choice as well as give new ideas for generals that may not be as popular. I am looking for suggestions of cards that could make my decks more fun and competitive, with a few caveats:

1. I prefer to avoid infi-combos and tutors when possible. I feel it makes the game more unfun and my playgroup is rather casual.

2. I prefer to keep all cards under 20 dollars as a matter of practicality. However, this is all based on fun. I will hunt down a 40 dollar card if it really makes the deck fun and is central to its play-ability. However, I don't want to spend 10 bucks for a minor increase in competitiveness. Hopefully that makes sense.

3. I LOVE to play cards that aren't seen very often. Unique or splashy effects are particularly fun. Without further ado...

Ashling the Pilgrim ---> http://deckbox.org/sets/348302

I love ashling because the idea is just pure fun. Spend all your spare money to pump up the pilgram. Things getting out of hand? Blow up the board. Someone plays a degenerate commander? blow up the board. I have a few subthemes running throughout the deck:

- Land destruction: This tends to be unfun for others, so I limit it to non-basic land destruction to punish greedy 5-color combo decks (or utility lands).
- Board wipes: I like to wipe the board with more than just ashling. Cards with stuffy doll type effects make this even more fun.
- Mana acceleration: Mono-colored mana acceleration is easy, so I try to have enough spells to take advantage of this advantage.
- Commander damage: I have enough good equipment to really make Ashling hurt.

As far as tweaks go, I am open to suggestions. Some cards I currently feel are underwhelming:

1. Jaya: Fun, but very situational.
2. Ingot Chewer: Already have plenty of artifact hate.
3. Detritivore: Seems like he has to get out very early to matter at all.
4. Flamewave: Big cost for the effect. Really like the art though smile
5. Leyline of Punishment: too narrow? I am really not sure.

Last edited by tjdrake719 (2013-04-22 23:47:24)

Re: [EDH] Feedback and Discussion - Ashling

This is the antithesis of my Karn, Silver Golem Deck to a scary extent. Between the Nonbasic land hate and the artifact hate my deck is sunk.

I think the only thing I'd drop is Braid of Fire. It looks like an amazing card until you realize the mana is only good if you have other cards with an upkeep cost since the mana goes away at the end of your upkeep according to Oracle.

Personally i like the Leyline of Punishment in this deck, there are a lot of EDH decks that can gain ridiculous amounts of health, it seems a fair way to combat it and it is a nice bit of redundancy incase you don't get Stigma Lasher.

Last edited by Lear (2013-04-23 03:57:24)

Braid of Fire still has use, though.  You can use it to beef up Comet Storm, or anything else that can be played at instant speed.  Also, it can be used for Ashling's ability.

It's a fun little deck.  I might recommend adding a few reuseable burn effects, a la Fanning the Flames, and more importantly, Searing Touch, which is at instant speed.

Good call drgolovacroxby, taking that in mind it also plays well with Inferno Titan and Lord of Shatterskull Pass

That noted it is still only useful for 8% of this deck, which for EDH is decent odds but still not great.

Lear wrote:

Good call drgolovacroxby, taking that in mind it also plays well with Inferno Titan and Lord of Shatterskull Pass

That noted it is still only useful for 8% of this deck, which for EDH is decent odds but still not great.

Keep in mind level-ups are sorcery speed I believe.

I use it mainly for ashling however, who is out half the game generally.

Well noted, evidently i failed to read the parenthetical note on level up skill. I blame my not playing magic between Tempest and Innistrad for not knowing that particular ability's workings.