Topic: [Feature Request] Profile Bio

I think it's important for people, especially traders, to read users' profile descriptions. Deckbox is a versatile site and caters to people who use the site for different purposes - whether it's just cataloguing, trading, etc. Each user may have his/her own personal policy when it comes to trading. These policies are usually written clearly in their profile bios. For instance, I state on my profile that I only trade out of my tradelist and my inventory is off limits but I get trade offers for cards in my inventory regularly. It's not common practice for traders to read these descriptions. This can lead to issues such as this BTR: http://deckbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8699

I have a suggestion that may help with this issue. When starting a new trade - where you select whether you want it to be local or mail trade - there is currently the checkbox for reading and accepting Deckbox's trading rules and guidelines. I suggest adding another checkbox that says something like "I have read and accept this user's policy". It may need to be recorded somewhere, in case users change their policy afterwards.

Last edited by AsymptomaticPyrexia (2013-04-27 14:28:21)

Re: [Feature Request] Profile Bio

Two things to keep in mind:

1) No user statement or policy can trump the site rules. I ran into one the other day where the user placed a disclaimer in his/her profile stating s/he would not be responsible for cards lost by the postal service, even if tracking was used.  That doesn't align with site policies and rules, so such a profile policy would be null and void.

2) Sebi has received other comments about people proposing offers from inventory.  A recent suggestion was that Inventory be marked private by default.  I believe he is considering that option.

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: [Feature Request] Profile Bio

Yes, I was one of the people pushing for private inventories but that's only an example of an issue that arises from people not reading profile descriptions. The goal of my suggestion is merely to encourage traders to read over other people's policies to avoid issues like the BTR I posted a link to. By no means am I suggesting a system where users can override Deckbox rules nor sacrifice the integrity of the site.

Some traders care about card conditions, some don't. Some have prefered shipping methods, some don't. Personal policies like these are not something Deckbox can enforce since it varies from user to user. Deckbox can, however, encourage traders to read others' profiles. It'll help traders avoid issues that could be easily dealt with by communicating and be able to identify problems before confirming a trade.