Topic: buying cards

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on buying here via deckbox or at your FNM with friends (NOT the fnm).   Lots of people selling but most still expect to sell their cards for trade value, when if they were to sell to a store they would get the buylist price which is half at best (usually).  so if they want to sell to an individual like me, shouldnt the price be somewhere between the buylist online and ebay/tcg low?   if they expect me to buy at such a high price whats the insentive from just buying from a store?

I am talking just buying from individuals obviously, in person or online. but also when looking to buy colletions from ppl, they seem to think their 5 dollar glacial fortres should be sold for five dollars, when in fact they are lucky to get 2.   Just curious as mostly i have gone ebay or tcg low but a few deals here on deckbox have gone great, but many others have not because of (imo) unreasonable expectations.

Re: buying cards

I haven't done much buying or selling here but I usually like to price things a little below TCG low in both cases.  Seems reasonable.

I have bought cards here, and I know I need to do better than buylist prices.

Otherwise, what's the point?

I absolutely agree that i should pay more than buylist prices.  I was more refering to instances where they knock off 10% of the avg trade price and act as if they are doing me a huge favor.  I figure half way btw tcg low and buylist (maybe closer to tcg low but if its that price whats the pt for me buying as well?)

Negotiation and haggling are a delight to me.

90% of average completed ebay trades seems like a fair way to price cards.  Likely unfeasible for collections or groups of cards though.

Nevpicasso wrote:

I haven't done much buying or selling here but I usually like to price things a little below TCG low in both cases.  Seems reasonable.

I have done a lot of buying/selling here and do this. I buy from time-to-time at my LGS but only if the values are within $1-$3 of the online values at TCG or ebay. Buying stuff at SCG prices just seems silly to me tongue

Profile   |   Foil Traders Community
Free yourself from yourself

If I'm buying/selling here I usually go a bit lower than TCG low, otherwise as someone said, what's the point?

Paul_K wrote:

I've sold quite a bit of cards here.  I do my best to offer cards below tcg low (when shipping is included).  I have been and always will listen to offers for my cards.  You can ask around on here since numerous ppl have bought my cards in many different fashions that I offer reasonable prices.  Just remember if you don't like something don't believe its set in stone, communicate.

Now just how many times have I mentioned communicate or others have mentioned the chatbox.  USE IT!  Hell, when you're out shopping haggle.  It's your money.  I've even haggled at department stores (mostly unsuccessful) but i'm not afraid to walk away.  Like i said in an earlier post somewhere, deckbox may be small but it has greater implications!

You and I are still discussing a pair of cards. wink

I've bought cards off here before for ~70% of TCGplayer mid - a reasonable price for a private sale, above buylist cheaper than TCGplayer.  That being said, MOTL is by far the best place to buy cards.  I have bought many cards off MOTL and the prices there are much better than any I have seen here.

Edit:  I should also add that nearly every card ever printed is available on MOTL.  Deckbox has a very small available card pool relative to MOTL.

Last edited by grossoggodeckbox (2013-05-10 21:32:28)

The availability is higher, but the interface and ease of use is terrible by comparison.