Topic: Need advice. Stuffy burn.

I really just made this deck from scratch and have no clue how well it would really work. It seems like there are to many cards needed to really get stuffy going. I just need people to take a look and tell me if its a no go build or if it can be fixed with some tweaks or if its fine as is.

http://deckbox.org/sets/451403

Last edited by Pickled_Fetus (2013-08-14 18:06:39)

Re: Need advice. Stuffy burn.

Any advice would be helpful. Even if its just to tell me that the build is fine. I'm really new at MTG. The builds I have listed so far are just in my head at the moment.

How are you playing the deck?  Casually?  Friends? Tournaments?   

Looks like a modern build and I'm not very well versed in what's available in modern.   

In general if stuffy doll is your win condition I'd say it's pretty fragile.  There are still any number of effects that can deal with stuffy doll. Off the top of my head, just from what I know about that's popular in standard.

Mutilate
Tragic slip
golgari Charm
Terminus
Barter in blood
devour flesh
liliana of the veil
tribute to hunger

I'm sure there's more many many more that would be relevant in modern.  Also stuffy doll does nothing to stop damage from getting across if they have trample.

I don't see the deck as being very well when it comes to "winning", but it could be a _fun_ deck to play when it goes off.

Last edited by elpablo (2013-08-14 19:20:09)

Personally, I think that it is too focused on a very specific goal when the payoff isn't fabulous.  You have a lot of tutoring cards, which will end up getting you a Stuffy Doll in play and then try to protect it while you hit it twice for a lot of damage.  If there was a single shot that you could expect to take out your opponent with, then this plan would be much more attractive.  As it is, each of the crucial cards costs a lot of mana, so it's probably going to be at least a couple turns to actually get anything to happen.

If I were making modifications I would drop the tutoring and Rebuff the Wicked to instead stick in more damage redirection creatures.  You can easily add some of:

Mogg Maniac
Boros Reckoner
Spitemare

You could also look at Inferno as another damage source since you would deal 18 damage to your opponent if you have two redirection creatures in play.  Another less attractive option is Crater Hellion -- it's a lot less damage, but you do get a 6/6 out of it.

If you drop the tutoring you also have better options for attacking to get in a bit of damage instead of just relying on a 1/1.

psrex wrote:

Personally, I think that it is too focused on a very specific goal when the payoff isn't fabulous.  You have a lot of tutoring cards, which will end up getting you a Stuffy Doll in play and then try to protect it while you hit it twice for a lot of damage.  If there was a single shot that you could expect to take out your opponent with, then this plan would be much more attractive.  As it is, each of the crucial cards costs a lot of mana, so it's probably going to be at least a couple turns to actually get anything to happen.

If I were making modifications I would drop the tutoring and Rebuff the Wicked to instead stick in more damage redirection creatures.  You can easily add some of:

Mogg Maniac
Boros Reckoner
Spitemare

You could also look at Inferno as another damage source since you would deal 18 damage to your opponent if you have two redirection creatures in play.  Another less attractive option is Crater Hellion -- it's a lot less damage, but you do get a 6/6 out of it.

If you drop the tutoring you also have better options for attacking to get in a bit of damage instead of just relying on a 1/1.

Thanks that info will be very helpful when i get the time to sit down and go over the build again.

Its no longer a stuffy burn per-say but how is this?

http://deckbox.org/sets/451403

I would cut Guilty Conscience for some more land, mana ramp or, preferably, Land Tax.  That generally looks like a fun starting point, but I think that you'll find 20 land isn't enough, especially if you ever want to cast Inferno.  Try running through the Tools -> Statistics section and see what you think of the draws.

If you add Land Tax it might be worth replacing the Crystal Veins with some more basic lands, but the Crystal Veins do help you reduce your land count during the game to keep using Land Tax, so maybe they would be worth keeping in.  Alternatively, Remote Farm and Sandstone Needle play a similar role to Crystal Vein, though you can't use them the turn that they enter play.

I forgot to add that Ghostly Prison may be another option if you're looking to slow the game down a little bit while you build up your creatures.  I'm not sure what I would take out, but Reinforcements is one possibility since then you should have extra time to draw your creatures.

Shivan meteor and fire covenant may be worth considering.