Topic: Who Are you? (The Obligatory introduce yourself thread)

Pretty Simple... I'm Tony Mendolia, Been playing since Revised came out.. I have way too many cards and at some point I might even have them all organized.  i don't really play competitively.. I don't really like Standard.. Modern intrigues me... I would rather Cube Draft.. I've tried EDH.. Seems ok to me..
Most of my Magic habit is working on filling out my collections.

I live over in Benbrook.. Not much happening in terms of shops smile  Used to have a group I played with that died sad

I'm up for trades and talks... Even the occasional game.

Welcome all...

Re: Who Are you? (The Obligatory introduce yourself thread)

Paul Sherrill, west fortworth.

I've been playing off and on since revised.  though my current collection consists only of Standard cards.  I'm a father of 4 so, I play when I can.  I've been drafting at Evo games. I would like to play competatively at FNM or the local weekend warrior tournaments.  The challenge of the competition is attractive, but the price is a bit overwhelming.  I have a version of Standard Jund together that is worth around 500 and it could still use another $200 bucks to be truly competative.

A friend and I have been brewing around with a bug aggro that seems fairly stable even after rotation.  I think it may have some value.

Hi! I currently live in north Fort Worth but will be moving to the Dallas area next month. I got connected to the group through trading with Tony and hope to connect with other local players.

I'm a casual player with a pretty small collection, but love the game. Like many of you (I'm guessing), I'm in my mid-30s, married with children, have a career, etc., so my budget and time for MTG are limited, but hope to find a regular group to play with.

As far as shops, go there is a new shop called the Sci-Fi Factory in my area (located at North Beach & Golden Triangle in Keller). Really nice guys and always somebody playing when I go.

Hit me up if you want to get together or trade via mail or in person. Big shout-out to Tony for the invitation and for investing the time in managing the group.

Happy gaming, everyone!

Jeremy Harrison

Make sure you join more groups to expose yourself to a wider variety of trade possibilities.

Saginaw, TX reporting in. Played a ton during college, but quit around 7th edition. Just now getting back into it because a friend whom I play D&D with is playing, and I can already tell my obsession is growing again. I've forgotten how much I love this game.

Saginaw is not too far from my neck of the woods in Benbrook... May have to get a small war party together to play... hmmm...

My name is Victoria Hutchison. I started playing right after Return to Ravnica came out.  My husband introduced me to the game back in college, but the Bible college I attended did not allow us to have MTG cards on campus.  I play mostly Standard Casual, but I want to play FNM soon.  I love to build decks, and I feel that my skill has improved.  However, there is always room for more improvement.  I absolutely love trading, and it feels like Christmas whenever a new trade arrives in my mailbox.

I realize I haven't yet introduced myself, so here goes:

My name is Eric Daniels, I live in Dallas.  I mostly just play with my friends these days, as I can't afford to be competitive in Standard, and definitely not in Modern or Legacy, without putting all of my eggs in one basket.  I have a pretty solid collection, and I really enjoy deckbuilding and drafting.

When I do get the chance to go out in play, I either go to Lone Star Comics in Mesquite, or Gunslinger Games in Dallas.  I prefer the atmosphere at Lone Star, as the people tend to be more friendly, and it is significantly less competitive there.  Gunslinger does sell singles, which is a plus - also, since they are a dedicated game store, there is a lot more casual play, as opposed to just FNM.  Luckily, the staff are pretty cool at both stores.

hi my name is jay I live in lake worth I was in the group with tony that died. some have moved over to whirlwind comics in lake worth. most of the fnm crowd are in high school some so competition is not to stiff. although I don't like standard right now.but I love modern. I have a large collection so I play all formats.

Hi.  I go by orangery here, and I live in North Fort Worth near Saginaw.  I was part of the Azle Avenue Denny's group, and before that C&T Comics in Saginaw from 2009.  I've played on and off since Revised.

I don't have the energy/budget to keep up with Standard Constructed, but I love drafting.  I have a workable Legacy card pool and I'm very enthusiastic about Modern.  I like EDH in theory but hate ripping the decks apart to restore playsets in other decks I use more often.

I generally favour crappy combo homebrews, but my go-to archetypes for competitive play are--
Legacy: LED-less Dredge, Reanimator, Death & Taxes, Maverick, with aspirations to Breakfast (if I could find an event)
Modern: Death & Taxes, Hatebears, and lately Griselbrand Glass Cannon

I've been playing Limited and Modern at Whirlwind in Lake Worth, but as they've suspended Modern tournaments I've started going to GenX in Euless for Modern FNM.  I intend to check out LegendsTC in Bedford, who I believe host Modern events every Thursday.

Last edited by orangery (2013-09-20 19:27:46)

I played at Denny's as well.  I tried the whirlwind spot and it wasn't competitive enough for me.  It felt kind of like beating up a bunch of kids for their lunch money and the prize payout was abysmal.  No offense to whirlwind they have to support the group of people that show up. just not for me.

Evo off mcart does modern every Monday, and you can always find people up there playing modern/willing to play.  They draft for $10 every Wednesday and FNM has pretty decent pay out for standard.  Got 22 packs at a "super FNM" a couple weeks ago.

I"m hedging towards modern jund, but it's gonna be a long haul.  As long as they keep reprinting cards like thoughtseize i'll get there.

Last edited by elpablo (2013-09-20 19:50:40)