Topic: Life Counter Commissions AND some Standard trading

Now that Christmas is over, life is a little less hectic, and Born of the Gods is right around the corner, I figured I'd offer to make some 3D Life Counters in exchange for some trades! 

You can see my work here and here and here.  I've got a couple of nice ones coming down the pipes (including an Elvish Visionary that looks NICE) but I'm much more interested in what others might like from me before I get involved with ones that I've gotten personally invested in.  The only two things that really limit me are card availability (commons and easy-to-acquire uncommons from the bulk bin of my LGS is where my supply comes from) and how well the card art is able to be "cut" on for 3D effect. 

Also, keep in mind that I am in no way limited to my wishlist for trade offers.  If you got a good idea for one of these (and you don't want to do it yourself) (which is no excuse they're really fun to do and you should try it) open a trade and let me know!

Last edited by dajaymann (2014-02-10 19:19:58)

Profile     Tradelist     Wishes

Re: Life Counter Commissions AND some Standard trading

I'm no expert, but would Dismember be "cutable" for this type of thing?

Checking out that image on Gatherer...

...yeah I could probably do that one.  Only real trick there is availability of the cards - I'd want 5 copies to complete it and I've never seen it at my LGS, and getting them shipped to me would probably add a week to the ETA (normally, I can whip one out in a night or two, even if I have to stop by my LGS to find the cards during my lunch break). 

But yeah, that one looks like the cutting might be marginally tricky but totally doable.

Will you trade your Nivix Cyclops?

ThePalmerClan wrote:

Will you trade your Nivix Cyclops?

BAM=>Opened a trade

Bumpin' up - as I'm a bit snowed in, a bit bored, and probably going to miss the prerelease this weekend

I added a few BNG commons to my wishlist so I can cut them up and make more counters. Also added a few (cheap) BNG rares and uncommons to go along with my s standard izzet and dimir decks.

And I completed some new ones, too. A diabolic tutor, elvish visionary, and disciple of the old ways. I should have pictures soon.

So I made some new ones. 

Diabolic Tutor
Disciple of the Old Ways
Chosen of Markov
Markov's Servant
Elvish Visionary (which is already spoken for)

Could you do the same quality of work with foil versions of the cards?

By the way they are all freakin awesome!

Last edited by AmarusCameron (2014-02-05 15:11:01)

Profile     Tradelist     Wishlist

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

I've seen them done with foils and they are fantastic.  I'm sure I could do those, too, but getting ahold of enough of the right foils is the trick in my neck of the woods. 

For instance, I've always wanted to do a Gift of Orzhova counter with foils (I've seen it on reddit, and it's glorious), but those are expensive and hard to come by.

Alright, now the issue is finding the right card =P

Wish I could do sen triplets but that is cost prohibitive.

Always interested in expeditions, invocations, foil full art lands, and reserved list

Found my card, discussion started

Bumpin' because I got ahold of a Sacred Foundry and a Foil Satyr Firedancer.  Looking towards some stuff on my list, a Boros Reckoner being the priority (I only need one more!). 

Also did an experiment over the weekend and made a 3D counter out of a Foil Deadly Allure (pictures are coming) and another Awe for the Guilds.  They turned out pretty spiffy...

Bumpin! 

Also acquired a Temple of Enlightenment and Temple of Alice - check out the Tradelist.

I tried making one of these, it actually turned out pretty cool, however I couldn't get the wire to stay put after all was said and done.

What adhesive do you use when making these? What kind of wire/rope/string?

I really wanna try it again, but ran out of the motivation after watching my last one fall apart hmm

Always looking for Unhinged/Unglued Full Art Lands. Trading out of Trades only currently

Tradelist

I use 3" beading pins that come in packs of 50 from Michaels (though I'm sure whatever major craft store in your area will probably have it), cut them to fit just under the width of the card, then cut the third and fourth layer of the card so that the pins are sandwiched "inside" these layers.  I get lots of questions about that so I'm probably going to take some pictures of the whole process and show them off soon.

dajaymann wrote:

I get lots of questions about that so I'm probably going to take some pictures of the whole process and show them off soon.

That would be very cool. I tried using just straight string and squeezing them between layers.

Didn't work.

What do you use for adhesive?

Always looking for Unhinged/Unglued Full Art Lands. Trading out of Trades only currently

Tradelist

Aileen's Tacky Glue.  The Stuff of Legends.

Also I could imagine using string would be the stuff of nightmares for this sort of project.  On my earliest counters I used paperclips bent straight - those actually didn't turn out half bad when you consider that I MacGuyver'd them together from available office supplies.

Last edited by dajaymann (2014-02-16 05:32:53)

dajaymann wrote:

Aileen's Tacky Glue.  The Stuff of Legends.

Good to know, will look into that. I originally tried using Roll-on double-sided tape. Didn't work too well lol.

dajaymann wrote:

those actually didn't turn out half bad when you consider that I MacGuyver'd them together from available office supplies.

Ha nice. Yeah, I got the idea cause I had 3 foil pheres-band centaurs, and then a crap ton of non-foil ones, so I just went to work. And used a foil forest for the "text box" back, too. It looked pretty cool, only that the beads fell apart hmm

Next time, I'll do better.

Yours look pretty awesome, too though! I only hope I can make mine look as cool.

Tradelist

Added some images of the Weight of the Underworld counter I made over the weekend.