Topic: What fraction of posts on this forum are bumps?

I propose we ban bumps in this forum.

Re: What fraction of posts on this forum are bumps?

lol

Yeah, it'd be much less annoying for people to re-post the same thread 4-5 times a day. Because that's what will happen.

I personally limit myself to 1 bump per day.

I try to limit myself to one per week, but then again I'm not too eager to acquire things (just get rid of them) as I imagine most of us are working hard towards FNM each week.

Profile     Tradelist     Wishes

A quota on "bumps" could be a good guideline. I don't think it's worth banning any such behavior though. Plus, people who bump less are less annoying and probably receive more trade offers in the long run, I'd wager.

On MOTL you're allowed to bump your post once a day. I'd like to see something similar here.

bump

Selling anything and everything on any of my lists

Sadly it's likely a much larger proportion than anyone would like... but the real issue is, HOW would one limit the number of bumps?

Would you rather just make people have to retype their entire post?

Beagle wrote:

Would you rather just make people have to retype their entire post?

I'd just copy and paste it again instead. big_smile

Personally I limit myself to one bump a day unless I'm still on the front page. I do read peoples threads though and search for trades I may be able to make happen.

bighappyblocker wrote:

Personally I limit myself to one bump a day unless I'm still on the front page. I do read peoples threads though and search for trades I may be able to make happen.

This.  I think it's much easier to edit a post with what you have/want then bump it than to start from scratch.  And that way people can see any other activity that may be of import in the thread.

Profile     Tradelist     Wishes

Just make it a 1 bump per 6 hour limit. If you see someone breaking it the thread gets closed. If they do it again they get a warning. If they do it a 3rd time they get a suspension or something.

truechill wrote:

Just make it a 1 bump per 6 hour limit. If you see someone breaking it the thread gets closed. If they do it again they get a warning. If they do it a 3rd time they get a suspension or something.

I don't see this as being something that could ever reliably be enforced. Habitual bumping imo is a matter of selfishness. Someone feels the need to always be at the top of the front page so they bump every couple hours or so. This isn't something that will be solved with a rule.

Kammikaze wrote:
truechill wrote:

I don't see this as being something that could ever reliably be enforced. Habitual bumping imo is a matter of selfishness. Someone feels the need to always be at the top of the front page so they bump every couple hours or so. This isn't something that will be solved with a rule.

Just have members help monitor it and report the posts to mods to issue warnings. It works on d2jsp.