Topic: Importing collections from Decked Builder format

Hi!

Deckbox it's very nice app, and I'd like to see the opportunity of importing my Decked Builder collection (coll2 format, or their csv). I use Decked Builder on the go to register cards and it'd be good to import the collection directly here. Hope many people agree with me smile

Re: Importing collections from Decked Builder format

I agree. I'd find this very useful. I'm also able to do some coding to make it happen if there's some sort of Deckbox API that would make it possible.

Deckbox is great for viewing decks and collections anywhere on a big desktop screen. It has the marketplace and trading feature which also seem great, but which I haven't gotten into personally.

Decked Builder is great for browsing cards and building decks. You can do that in Deckbox, but a lot of it is more natural on a phone than it is on a laptop. It also has the killer feature of camera import.

So I think the two apps work nicely with each other without one stepping on the other's toes.

There are two more folks who've said they're interested as well--over on this other thread.

Last edited by tommyv (2014-05-20 00:48:53)

Will do! I put it on the list.

Awesome, thanks!

I'm happy to help answer questions about how I'd use it or test things out if that's helpful.

Did this ever happen?  I have a very large collection I'd like to move from Decked Builder to Deckbox (65,207 cards).

Drewsome wrote:

Did this ever happen?

Yep! You'll need to export a CSV from Decked Builder first, but it's one of the main import options when you go to "Add Cards" from your Inventory.

meldon44 wrote:
Drewsome wrote:

Did this ever happen?

Yep! You'll need to export a CSV from Decked Builder first, but it's one of the main import options when you go to "Add Cards" from your Inventory.

Success!  But there's a catch:

The first time I tried to load the file I got this error:

"Error: The server encountered a problem trying to import your file. Please check that it is a plaintext csv file and try again."

I had to load the file into Excel and "Save As" to CSV again, but specify MS-DOS format.  Then it worked with 330 errors, most of which were in Commander Anthology 2018.  Odd, but I can easily re-enter those.

Last edited by Drewsome (2018-12-06 03:14:11)

Drewsome wrote:

Then it worked with 330 errors, most of which were in Commander Anthology 2018.  Odd, but I can easily re-enter those.

Before going through the hassle of re-entering, first try changing all values for that edition from "Commander Anthology 2018" to "Commander Anthology Volume II", which is what Deckbox uses. See if DB recognizes them then.

meldon44 wrote:

... first try changing all values for that edition ...

Meaning, in the CSV file in the Edition column, prior to re-attempting import.

Changing "Commander Anthology 2018" to "Commander Anthology Volume II" worked great, thanks!

The remaining cards that didn't match seem to be version based or very unusual (Unhinged, Unstable).  E.g. Decked Builder has "Boros Guildgate (a)" and "Boros Guildgate (b)", and so forth for Izzet, Dimir and Golgari guildgates.  Actually, here's the whole list:

The Ultimate Nightmare of Wizards of the Coast(R) Customer Service    Unglued
B.F.M. (Big Furry Monster)                  Unglued
"Ach! Hans, Run!"                              Unhinged
Rumors of My Death . . .""                  Unstable
Sword of Dungeons & Dragons    Unstable
Boros Guildgate (a)                            Guilds of Ravnica
Boros Guildgate (b)                            Guilds of Ravnica
Dimir Guildgate (a)                            Guilds of Ravnica
Dimir Guildgate (b)                            Guilds of Ravnica
Golgari Guildgate (a)                          Guilds of Ravnica
Golgari Guildgate (b)                          Guilds of Ravnica
Golgari Guildgate (b)                          Guilds of Ravnica
Izzet Guildgate (a)                             Guilds of Ravnica
Izzet Guildgate (b)                             Guilds of Ravnica
Selesnya Guildgate (a)                       Guilds of Ravnica
Selesnya Guildgate (b)                       Guilds of Ravnica
Selesnya Guildgate (b)                       Guilds of Ravnica
Mana Crypt                                        Vintage Masters   <- DeckBox database doesn't offer this one, but the card does exist:  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ … eid=383005

My plan is to create a temporary inventory of all these unmatched cards, export them to CSV, look at what makes them different from my current CSV file, make the edits and re-import the file.

I'll update this post when I get it finished.

UPDATE: 

Unglued/Unhinged errors were in the placement of the " marks.  Easy fix. 

Sword of Dungeons & Dragons and Ultimate Nightmare...  were using the right ASCII characters for TM, (R) and &.   I just copied the DeckBot CSV names over to my import CSV.

Guildgates weren't fixable because Decked Builder doesn't use collector number in the CSV file so there was no way to disambiguate them, except in the name (which Decked BUilder did with the (a) and (b)).  I'll manually re-enter those.

And I believe that the Vintage Masters Mana Crypt needs a database fix in DeckBox, so I'll just make a note to myself for now.

Final tally:  "Inventory (65248 cards, 21970 distinct)" smile

-Drew

Last edited by Drewsome (2018-12-07 15:46:14)

I did this for a friend and ended up writing a Python script to convert the editions and everything else to make the export usable by DeckBox.

Glad I could help!

Drewsome wrote:

DeckBox database doesn't offer this one, but the card does exist:  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ … eid=383005

And I believe that the Vintage Masters Mana Crypt needs a database fix in DeckBox, so I'll just make a note to myself for now.

Vintage Masters is a MTGO-only edition, which Deckbox hasn't decided to support.

For some reason, Wizards has decided to add the online-only editions to Gatherer even though not all of their paper editions are on there....

meldon44 wrote:

Glad I could help!

Drewsome wrote:

DeckBox database doesn't offer this one, but the card does exist:  http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ … eid=383005

Vintage Masters is a MTGO-only edition, which Deckbox hasn't decided to support.

For some reason, Wizards has decided to add the online-only editions to Gatherer even though not all of their paper editions are on there....

Ah, ok.  I sold off my MTGO collection last summer.  I removed all those cards from my database but I didn't catch that I forgot to remove that one from my list.  Thanks!