Topic: Cancelling a confirmed trade?

So a user approached me with a trade, and it was only upon confirmation and seeing his shipping address that I noticed he lives in Canada. I have not heard from him in a few days, and I have listed in my profile that I only trade within "My Country" (i.e. the US). I had no need to check his profile before confirmation, because of how negotiations went. I don't want to pay for the additional shipping to Canada, nor do I want to be under the gun, since I need the card in a few weeks for GP Richmond, and I'm not sure if I'll have it by then, since it's coming from Canada. Am I allowed to cancel the trade without receiving a penalty?

Always looking for modern and legacy staples.

Re: Cancelling a confirmed trade?

While I am taking no sides with this I'd like to point out the following:

1)Shipping to Canada is only slightly more expensive than regular normally you'd pay 2 stamps here (92 cents) and shipping to most parts of Canada is only about 2 dollars max unless you're shipping in a box (I believe my canada shipping was 4 stamps to get it there)

2)I traded with the user Abraxus he was very timely in shipping out the cards to me, the took roughly 6 days to get here one of which was a Sunday meaning no post

3)I do not know the full rules on canceling trades but I would definitely check with a moderator before canceling usually Helios52 is floating around.

4) Good luck with your trade, and GP Richmond!

bighappyblocker wrote:

While I am taking no sides with this I'd like to point out the following:

1)Shipping to Canada is only slightly more expensive than regular normally you'd pay 2 stamps here (92 cents) and shipping to most parts of Canada is only about 2 dollars max unless you're shipping in a box (I believe my canada shipping was 4 stamps to get it there)

Most people prefer to ship there cards a bit more secure than a regular envelope. Looks like on USPS to ship a 3oz padded envelope is going to run about $8 and if you want to track it you have to go with Priority Express which is around $35.

To add to the discussion; DeckBox's stance on the situation is as follows:
2.1 After the trade is accepted and addresses exchanged, there is no backing out. The transaction is considered confirmed. If a user needs to back out because he cannot complete (for objective reasons, like missing cards) the trade, he must be willing to negotiate a compensatory trade with the other party.

I would talk with the person you are trading with, most likely they will be understanding and the "negotiation" required will be simply agreeing to cancel the trade.

Last edited by PhillipW (2014-02-17 03:23:41)

Most people prefer to ship there cards a bit more secure than a regular envelope. Looks like on USPS to ship a 3oz padded envelope is going to run about $8 and if you want to track it you have to go with Priority Express which is around $35.

I believe I shipped bubble mailer, no tracking (because if I could afford tracking to Canada why the hell would I need to trade ever) and I want to say I just slapped 4-5 stamps on it he got the cards it was good to go

http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.asp … &dv=20

I believe that is the source for it, from another trader (he figured Canada was my biggest factor in not wanting to trade where as it was really just we couldn't meet on cards) and that is showing 1.15 for a regular envelope and if you did a bubble mailer with let's say 6 stamps on it that is 2.94 which still is half of what PhillipW mentioned however I did forget about the address thing, that he posted GLWT!

(P.S. PhillipW trade me your busted as hell Badlands, Thraximundar wants it)

Last edited by bighappyblocker (2014-02-17 03:32:14)

I'm not expert or anything but I have seen this issue come up a few times in the BTR forums. I have always seen the mods say that as long as nobody has sent their cards yet then nobody is really losing anything and then they say something about how they need to change the wording on that rule.

I would say just talk about it with your trade partner. No harm done. They have to understand if you can't trade internationally. But also you need to be more weary about things like that so it doesn't happen again.

Last edited by BlueFlygon (2014-02-17 04:21:39)

He actually just got back to me, and we'll be able to work things out. Thanks guys!

Always looking for modern and legacy staples.