Topic: Proliferate Question

Not to sound stupid but looking for some clarity here. I have Glorious Anthem in my control so all my creatures have +1/+1.

Two rule questions

1. Would I be able to proliferate the +1/+1 with Contagion Clasp/Contagion Engine

2. If I have Renegade Krasis on the battlefield, when he evolves any creature with a +1 counter can receive another. If the +1 they initially have is from Glorious Anthem, would Krasis' effect trigger on those creatures?

Hope all that made sense. I'm only asking because Glorious Anthem's rule text doesn't specify "+1/+1 counter"

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by Zarasiss (2014-03-09 04:24:22)

Re: Proliferate Question

1. Yes (you can proliferate any counters that are there, +1's -1's poison, anything that is a counter can be proliferated and you can add 1 to everything that has a counter if you want.  For example:

If you have a planeswalker, a creature with a +1/+1, a land with a counter on it, and your opponent has a creature with a -1/-1 counter on it and a poison counter you can add 1 counter to all of those at the same time when you cast something that has proliferate.

2. no (Glorious Anthem gives a field bonus of +1/+1 while on the field which is not a counter.  Anything that gives counters will literally say "Counter" on the card)  Hope that helps!

Thanks, yes that does help.

To further clarify in case there might be confusion:

As VampireArmy said in #2, Glorious Anthem does not provide any +1/+1 counters to anything; rather, it simply boosts your creatures on its own as long as it is in play (as a state based effect if you really want the nuts and bolts).  This means that the answer to your first question is - NO, you cannot proliferate those +1/+1 bonuses as technically there aren't any counters produced by Glorious Anthem.

Now, more generally VampireArmy is correct about how proliferate works - you can add an additional counter of any type whenever you proliferate.

To specifically answer your question regarding Renegade Krasis, as Glorious Anthem does not place counters, not matter how many times you evolve it, it wouldn't add anything else to your other creatures (unless of course they already have counters).  So let's work through two examples:

1) You have Renegade Krasis, Glorious Anthem, and Elvish Mystic. If you play an Elusive Krasis it would trigger the evolve for Renegade Krasis making it a 4/3; however, as nothing else has a +1/+1 counter at that point, nothing else would gain any counters.

2) You again have a Renegade Krasis and Elvish Mystic but this time you also have a Battering Krasis.  You play an Elusive Krasis and will have two evolve triggers, one for the Renegade and one for the Battering.  You can stack those evolve triggers however you like.  In this case, it would be best to put the Renegade evolve on the stack first and Battering second (as they resolve in reverse order).  Then the Battering Krasis would evolve, becoming a 3/2 (with one +1/+1 counter) and then the Renegade Krasis would evolve, making it a 4/3.  The second ability of Renegade would trigger and add a second +1/+1 counter to Battering Krasis also making it a 4/3.

Does this make sense?  Let me know if you need further clarification.

Yes that was very helpful, especially your 2nd example, I didn't realize you could decide what order things like that go on the stack, very interesting combo there.