Topic: [modern] Goblins for GPT qualifier [improvements]

[UPDATE: My penultimate Gobbies build is ready. I'm running a few too many cards. Risk it, or what to cut?]

I've been away a while, but could use your help. There's a Grand Prix Tour qualifier not far from me this weekend, and my wife offered to send me as a birthday treat. I've been playing goblin decks for a while and am placing pretty consistently at my LGS, so thought this might be the time to try a bigger event.

Here's the deck: MOD Gobbies

It's pretty normal for tribal goblins.  My main concerns are any improvements to the main board, and input on the sideboard.  I can typically outpace most decks, but face problems with Affinity (the Ratchet Bombs are a recent add). Should I keep the Mutavaults? I'm also not very aware of the broader range of decks I might face. Anything for which to watch?

One of my boys recommended Gut Shot. Put it in? In place of what?

Thanks,

Andrew

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: [modern] Goblins for GPT qualifier [improvements]

Your sideboard seems to be the weakest part of the deck to me.

You have hate for the following decks as I see it:
-Living End
-Boggle
-generic Removal (For Zoo maybe?)
-USA Control (You're already fast as heck!)

This leaves out some pretty major decks in the format. It seems to me you could better use your side board slots by putting in some hate for:
-Splinter Twin
-Pod Decks
-affinity

I would look at something like
3 Tormod's Crypt
-Living End, Storm

3 Torpor Orb
-Splinter Twin

3 Anger of the Gods
-Pod
-Affinity
-Zoo
-Boggle?
-Yourself!?!

3 Rachet Bomb
-Zoo
-Affinity
-Splinter Twin
-Boggle?
-Yourself !?!

3 Ancient Grudge
-Affinity
-Pod

The big questionable issue with this sideboard set up is how much Ratchet bomb and Anger of the Gods really screws with your game plan? Both can be great against other decks, but would do some damage to your self unless you played a very rigid play a couple creatures, clear the board, play a couple creatures style. And even that would probably only work game 2.

I'll do some reading to learn what some of those decks are, and will look up the cards you recommended. Thanks.

Why Ancient Grudge instead of Smelt? It costs one less. The Flashback ability doesn't matter because I'm not running green.

The Ratchet Bomb will hurt me if played against some decks, but I mostly wanted it against Affinity and tokens--tap it while it has no counters and it gets rid of all non-land permanents with a converted mana cost (CMC) of zero (0). That get's rid of Memnites, many artifacts, and all tokens.

Grafdigger's Cage for Pod. Torpor Orb as TRZ suggested will almost completely shut down Twin. Another option there would be Combust. A couple Dismembers is probably fine for the occasional Arcbound Ravager, big zoo, or jund. I would personally run Mindbreak Trap ahead of Tormod's Crypt for storm since no one plays Living End in my area, but if you think people will be playing that then run Crypt to cover both of em. Hatebears should be a pretty good matchup for you. All the bad scapeshift players (aka not me wink) run Cryptics and Snapcasters instead of pyroclasm so that should be an easy win.

I forgot the bit where Ancient grudge only works because I assumed you would be splashing some R/G sources main board (Stomping grounds perhaps?) Other options include shatterstorm and shattering spree

Generally I would say if you dont know your meta take a sideboard that can affect as many decks as possible at least partially. You wont get as many deck crippling hose you over type cards but hopefully you'll be able to buff your deck against any opponent you face.

I dont personally like cage because it doesnt stop one of the premier combos in the game, that is Especially strong Vs. On the board turn sideways to win type decks. That is to say it doesnt hose living end and living end is a silly good deck when you dont have counters to stop it.

I also sort of assume that UWR Control and Storm are typically solid match ups for you in that they wont always have the killing power/speed to stop you. Especially storm which relies more on durdling around for a bit first. In which case crypts easily fill the slots of some removal in your deck and do enough to shore up the match (IMO)

Re: Ratchet Bomb. The thing is Affinity usually only runs ~10 cards ratchet bomb effects at 0. 4 of which are the same Legend and none of which are 100% integral to their game plan. On the other hand at 2. Ratchet Bomb hits: 4 Archbound Ravager, 4 cranial Plating, 2-4 Steel Overseer and I suppose 4 Vault Skirge, which are all pretty key in the deck.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.  I'm borrowing a couple of Blood Moon for my sideboard and discovered I have a couple of Shatterstorm, so will be looking to tweak things a bit with those in mind.

Thanks, again, all. Went 3-2 for the day. Could have used two more blood moon in the sideboard, I guess. Had some fun matches, though.