Topic: Informal tournaments/open play

Does anyone host informal tournaments or open play sessions with friends or in your communities? There are formal Friday Night Magic events about a half hour from where I live, but my wife, the kids, and I have been playing for years with whatever cards we've managed to collect.  We mix and match between versions--old cards, new cards, duel-decks, theme decks, built from scratch decks--whatever we have around.  We find it a lot of fun, and are a bit intimidated by the formats that require the recent sets (since the family budget has limited funds for buying new sets).  What are you doing? Have any of you hosted your own informal tournaments?

Profile - Wishlist - Tradelist

Black and Blue--not just for bruises anymore.

Re: Informal tournaments/open play

I've helped my local shop here start promoting a casual Thursday night event even while they're starting to run FNM, too. We've had good turnout, filling the shop with a mix of about 20 kids, adults, experienced players and new ones, too. Duel decks and precons are common, as are EDH/Commander and an occasional casual draft. The nights aren't really structured with actual rounds and pairings, but some folks prefer that.

Wizards supports stores who do this sort of thing with WPN kits that include posters, DCI cards, and a variety of promo foils. Also, your store can use this as an opportunity to distribute the excess prerelease, launch party, and game day promos they receive.

Re: Informal tournaments/open play

Here in Belo Horizonte, Brazil, weve organized a informal tournament of the kamigawa Block. It was pretty fun since we did the whole thing in the Swiss tournament style, with prizes and whatnot. One of these days were going to attempt either a Pauper-style tourney or another Block swiss format. Theres always alot of people willing to play these just for fun.

We had no support from local stores since this kind of thing isnt really booming around here, thats what forced us to take things into our own hands. Hope you can find yourself some casual tournaments!

Last edited by Ahksar (2011-08-16 09:26:55)