Topic: [Request] Better Export Options and Deck Checker

Hi. I found your site through someone on Reddit and got all my buddies to join up. Love it. Absolutely amazing site. That being said the feature requests I would like is the ability to have my card list exported via XML or a universal spreadsheet format that Excel/OpenOffice/LibreOffice can all open that is customizable. Meaning you pick what columns you want included (price, name, type, set) and have it export with more robust formatting.

The other feature I would like is the ability to check if I have all the cards needed to make a deck I've found on TappedOut or anything like that. Possibly a whole box where you can format it something like this:

24x Swamp
4x Infiltration Lens
1x Arrest

And have the site check to see if I have everything needed to make the deck. If I don't it would be super cool if it would list off what cards I need and how many of them.

These are just my suggestions to make the site better. IMO one of the best parts of having an online digital database of my whole collection is the ability to export it all as a list and easily check what cards I have in what quantities. These features I suggested would add a LOT of options and would make the site much better.

Re: [Request] Better Export Options and Deck Checker

Hi,

If you make yourself a copy of the deck in the decklist section you can import the deck into it.  After doing that it will show you if your collection has the proper cards for the deck, and if not you can add how many you need to your wishlist on the same page.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Fejjgw wrote:

Hi,

If you make yourself a copy of the deck in the decklist section you can import the deck into it.  After doing that it will show you if your collection has the proper cards for the deck, and if not you can add how many you need to your wishlist on the same page.

Hope that helps,
Jeff

Oh wow! Thanks! That's amazing! Well there's one feature request down!

I agree with the exporter, that would be great to be able to export and have a paper trail... tongue

I also vote yes for the ability to export. That would make this site even more useful than it already is.

Thanks to all the hard working people at deckbox.com!

I have worked out a method to get your library into a Microsoft Excel Workbook.  It uses macros and is relatively easy to use.  There are a couple of manual steps that I would be willing to work around if there is interest.

Before I post it (or a link), I would like to hear from the Admin to see if that is OK to do.  This allows you to scrape your inventory pages and capture all the info.  If you (Admin) would like me to send you the workbook first let me know.

Thanks,
-SH

Hrm, just a few minutes ago I was thinking an export to CSV would be pretty handy.

I know this has already been requested.  But I really, really, really want an export feature that contains all information for all cards in my inventory.  For me, this one feature is more important than any other on this site.  I don't want to spend hours upon hours putting all my cards into the site, but then not be able to save that data elsewhere should I so choose.  Pretty please?

Otherwise, awesome site! I love it, thanks for this resource!

Last edited by zotnick (2011-09-05 20:10:53)

Sorry, just noticed there was another post saying basically the same thing.  Just adding to the chorus of voices who want this feature, then!

I'm merging the threads requesting exporting options, to keep the discussion in one place.

I know this is something many people want, and we shall implement it. It is coming smile

Absoulutely wonderful site. I too would love to be able to enter all my cards on this data bast and then print it or export it to a disc or something. I have an ancient collection and working on selling it and it would be wonderful.
Does the price change when you change the version of the card  such as beta or revised etc. I notice some of the most reprinted cards in multisets seem to have the same price??  Thank you for the wonderful feature I am trying to learn>

broboris wrote:

Absoulutely wonderful site. I too would love to be able to enter all my cards on this data bast and then print it or export it to a disc or something. I have an ancient collection and working on selling it and it would be wonderful.
Does the price change when you change the version of the card  such as beta or revised etc. I notice some of the most reprinted cards in multisets seem to have the same price??  Thank you for the wonderful feature I am trying to learn>

No, there is only one price stored per card. It doesn't take different editions or special versions (foil etc.) into account.

Would be cool to have a filter for searching decks that work like "you have this in your inventory, you can make these decks"

http://pwp.wizards.com/5101681338/Scorecards/Landscape.png

This request has been on file for over a year. It makes me wonder if the coming soon response is just a front to placate everyone. Looking from a database stand point its a trivial matter to export data into a CSV format. I know this is coming off as a rant and i apologize for that but come on guys the way it reads in the forum is that you dont take the feature requests seriously. there was not an update in over a year and it was only updated when someone requested it a second time.

Malketh wrote:

This request has been on file for over a year. It makes me wonder if the coming soon response is just a front to placate everyone. Looking from a database stand point its a trivial matter to export data into a CSV format. I know this is coming off as a rant and i apologize for that but come on guys the way it reads in the forum is that you dont take the feature requests seriously. there was not an update in over a year and it was only updated when someone requested it a second time.

When I first found this site, I had hoped to be able to give back by helping contribute bug fixes or new features. I think it can only help an unpaid volunteer site manage the needs of a growing userbase. I was part of a fan-driven comics database site where one person basically ran things for around 15 years (most of those very stagnant). I would be sad to see the same thing happen to here as deckbox.org is off to a tremendous start.

As a php developer I can tell you it would take about 5 minutes to write an export to csv function, and another 5 minutes to integrate it into the front end. That said, it's probably not priority one for the developers because you can already export your card list using the print option, which is almost as easy to parse as csv.

I assure you it is not "trivial", and most definitely is not 5, or 50 minutes as some of you keep telling everybody it is.

But I understand your frustrations, and I'm sorry for delaying this so much. There will be a csv export available this week.

Me and my shiny new "Deckbox 2 CSV" converter disagree with you.

http://killobyte.com/magic/

I couldn't access your database so I had to write a parser, not just and exporter. Of course I've never seen your codebase, maybe your tools take longer to use. Do you use PHP? In PHP the applicable part for you would be:

public function printCsv() {
        header('Content-Type: text/csv');
        header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="Deck.csv"');

echo 'quantity,name,sideboard'."\r\n";

foreach ($this->getCardList() as $card) {
            echo '"'.$card['quantity'].'","'.$card['name'].'",""'."\r\n";
        }

foreach ($this->getSideBoard() as $card) {
            echo '"'.$card['quantity'].'","'.$card['name'].'","YES"'."\r\n";
        }
}

where $this->getCardList() and $this->getSideBoard() return an array of cards.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

sebi wrote:

I assure you it is not "trivial", and most definitely is not 5, or 50 minutes as some of you keep telling everybody it is.

But I understand your frustrations, and I'm sorry for delaying this so much. There will be a csv export available this week.

Wow, now that is some serious service right there! For a free product nonetheless!

thalaric wrote:

Me and my shiny new "Deckbox 2 CSV" converter disagree with you.

http://killobyte.com/magic/

Looks like we're not discussing about the same thing here then smile.  What you did there is parse a string and inject commas and quotes into it.

This thread is about implementing the backend and UI design for exporting inventories, tradelists, wishlists and decks, for 3 card games, with a user-customizable (chooseable) number of fields that represent card properties. The card data is stored in normalized tables, there are 52 tables that deal with information about cards (both static information and user inputed info like foil flags, editions, condition etc).

show tables where `Tables_in_deckbox_production` regexp '(mtg_)|(wow_)|(whi_)';
<snip>
52 rows in set (0.01 sec)

I really don't want to turn this thread into some kind of back and forth flame discussion, so I'll stop here with the explanation. I don't want to justify the big delay by showing the problem is complex, it's of course not as complex as to take a year to implement smile. I only replied because these "5 minutes" estimations are 2 orders of magnitude away from a correct assessment, when considering defining requirements, structure, code design, UI, functional tests, back and forth manual testing, improvements and fixes, etc. etc. etc.

So I will stop talking about it in this thread and just do it. It will be done this week, cross my heart! tongue

I parsed a string into an array, and then outputted the array with commas inserted. The commonality is that your 50 table normalized database returns queries as... arrays. It would actually be easier, except that it's clear you have additional functionality in mind. Therefore, I think the point is made on both sides.

And despite my playing devils advocate, I enjoy the site and already have all my decks listed on here. Any and all improvement is a great thing.

sebi wrote:

So I will stop talking about it in this thread and just do it. It will be done this week, cross my heart! tongue

Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

You said this is the thread for requesting exporting options so here I go: It'd be great if export would work for the currently applied filter.

(come to think of it it'd be even better if all of the "View" menu options would apply to the current filter selection.